Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 3:23 AM
Default A question about selling Sim-made objects in a buisness
I've been wanting to start my own art gallery where my sim would sell her paintings. If and when I get Free Time I'd like to see hobby crafts as well, but that's something else.

One of my concerns is whenever an item is out of stock. Since it's difficult to replenish paintings right away, I know that out of stock signs will generate complaints from customers. Will that hurt the business too much or can I get around that at all?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 3:32 PM
Well, the longer time you won't restock paintings, the bigger chance for customers to lose stars. And, if the business reviewer will come, he or she may write a bad review...

Overall, customers won't lose that much stars and the bad review won't hurt your business (for me it doesn't influence anything). So you just keep restocking paintings regular, even if not so often.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 3:38 PM
I would use a mixture of custom paintings with Eaxis-made paintings. You can restock the base paintngs, so your shop still has stock whilst you are replenishing your own custom paintings.

Either that or, if your Sim is in a family, work on the creativity of your other family members - the more people painting, the quicker you will replenish your stocks!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 4:27 PM
I have a sim that sells paintings for a living and she has her own art studio in town. I think that art takes time so she only opens her shop whenever she has new paintings to sell. Once they're sold she closes the shop until next batch is ready. She has maximum creativity so they sell for around 700 or more each so she easily earns about 10.000 everytime she opens the shop.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 7:48 PM
See, that's what I was planning to do as well. My concern would be the out-of-stock signs as the latest batch sells out per-visit. The idea would be that she does all of her painting at home and when she paints a certain amount she restocks and opens the business. I'd have to do it like that for a home business but it seemed easier than having to paint during business hours in the store.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 11:07 PM
I have OfB and FreeTime. I have home based business selling pottery and paintings. The pottery gets the "out of stock" signs, but the paintings I put up on the walls do not.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 3rd Nov 2008 at 9:36 AM
Maybe because paintings weren't used to sell in shops?... And they're like unitary item.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 4th Nov 2008 at 3:51 PM
er... make more painters lol

as long as you have enough paintings remaining as for every customer to stare at, plus a bit extra(1/2 of max customers), you shoudn't worry... and as for replenishing, energize your [preferably fortune] sim with the energizer and paint all night when the shop is supposedly closed
Field Researcher
#9 Old 14th Nov 2008 at 1:13 AM
oh! I know why paintings do not go out of stock, but pottery and quilts do! Things that go out of stock have a "make many" option. The easel does not have a "make many" and that is why paintings do not get an out of stock sign!