Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 11:50 PM
Default N-n-nooooooooooo!
How do you get rid of Unsavory Charlatan?!?!?!? He is on the community lot with my college students, they are super broke and on their first date, so I can't have him going about and stealing money! Will it corrupt my game if I force an error on him then click delete? I was going to just turn on move objects then shove him in the nearby pond, but ends up even with moveobjects you can't move him.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 11:53 PM
He can only pick-pocket them if he interacts with them. If they are always busy, he won't get a chance. So rather than trying to find a way to get rid of him, perhaps you can focus on keeping them busy until it's time to leave the lot?
Theorist
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 11:59 PM Last edited by esmeiolanthe : 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:21 AM.
You have options, never fear!

1. Keep your sims busy with lots of actions lined up in their queues. Keep an eye on their queues, and cancel any interactions that the Charlatan queues up on his own. (This usually works just fine.)
2. Call the police from your sim's cell phone and report him.
3. Influence him to interact with Mrs. Crumplebottom if she's around. (He will probably try and do this on his own anyway.) I've never seen it myself, but I've heard he tries to flirt with her and she smacks him with her handbag repeatedly. This is not supposed to be dangerous at all, since it's scripted and will happen autonomously.
4. If your sim has really high Body skill, and if the option shows up on the regular pie menu, attack him. I believe this makes him think twice before messing with you.

If you can't get any of the interactions I recommended on a regular, unmodded, uncheated-to-interact-with pie menu, it should be safe for the love of plumbbob don't do it! (See, kids, this is why you proofread before you post!) I'm fairly sure that you don't want to do anything with him that the vanilla game won't let you do. That's generally a really good rule of thumb to follow for all NPCs that don't have real names.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:25 AM
You can't report him unless he actually picks someones pocket, so that won't help in this instance
Scholar
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:28 AM
I think the interactions between the Charlatan and Crumplebottom are hilarious! So much so that I CASed a daughter for them using clones (I didn't set a family tree, so no VBT). Chastity Charlatan is a Romance sim who's currently serving as the Last Boss in Monica Bratford's battles against her Romance sim now-husband Barnum's girlfriends. I'm really itching to see their epic battle, but Chastity only autonomously shows up when Barnum is alone.

You can click-cancel his pickpocket interaction with your active sim, by the way

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Theorist
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
You can't report him unless he actually picks someones pocket, so that won't help in this instance

I suppose it could work if he pickpocketed someone else on the lot while you were there? But that wouldn't be on the regular pie menu if it wasn't a valid option, and I did say to not do anything that's not on the regular pie menu.

Eventually I did. After editing. And I meant to before, so I said it in my head earlier, and that totally counts, right?

Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:59 AM
I'm not sure esme. I've read both options (that he has to pickpocket one of your sims, or that it can be any sim) but I haven't bothered testing to find out which one is true.
Theorist
#8 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 1:01 AM
Can't you make him disappear with the visitor controller? Or other mods that won't him show up in the first place?
Theorist
#9 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 1:03 AM
Nor have I. I just keep an eye on the queue and cancel out any interactions he tries to insert. But I suppose Alpal425 could give it a shot if the Charlatan pickpockets someone else while their sim is out and about. The worst that could possibly happen is the option wouldn't show up on the pie menu and they'd have to fall back on cancelling things from the queue, so it's a pretty low-risk experiment.

EDIT: It seems the Visitor Controller will indeed ban him from all lots. But then you wouldn't get to see him attempt to serenade Mrs. Crumplebottom!

Don't delete him, though -- he's a universal NPC, and messing with him will corrupt your whole install. (Source: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Unsavory_Charlatan )

Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 1:22 AM
Wait a second...are we saying can't you just delete him?

...Like if I have an enable build/buy on community lots mod, and I go to buy mod and then pick him up and hit delete?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 1:26 AM
He really isn't that big of a deal. Just ignore him and have your date. If you do see him pick another sims pocket you can report him.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#13 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 1:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Krystinz

...Like if I have an enable build/buy on community lots mod, and I go to buy mod and then pick him up and hit delete?

I sure wouldn't try it. Your mileage may vary.

Undead Molten Llama
#14 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Krystinz

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that. What you don't want to do is make him playable/selectable in any way for any length of time. Deleting him from the lot with move-objects just deletes that instance of him; it doesn't do anything to the character file. Thing is, he'll likely just respawn. At which point, sure, you could re-"delete" him. But that would get tiresome after a while if you're on the lot for a long time.

In any case, when I get tired of him, I ban him with the Visitor Controller. (Which, I should say, basically does the same thing as deleting him with move-objects, in that he'll spawn on the lot but be instantly teleported away. In other words, that instance of him is deleted. So, basically, the VC just does the work for you, so you don't have to keep grabbing him and "deleting" him.) But mostly, I just ignore him. If he takes an interest in a playable and I don't want them getting pickpocketed, then I'll cancel the interaction out of the playable's queue. But, on the other hand, Sims with enough logic points can outsmart him, so sometimes I like to see one of my high-logic playables go head-to-head with him. So, usually I keep him around but ignore him, and since I tend to keep my playables busy when they're on a community lot, I usually don't have a problem with him.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
I'm not sure esme. I've read both options (that he has to pickpocket one of your sims, or that it can be any sim) but I haven't bothered testing to find out which one is true.

My sims have always been able to call for police, when I ever bothered to. I have never had a sim get their pocket's picked.
Like other's say, just ignore him and keep your sims busy on their date.

No chemicals or GMOs in my sims' food.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 2:23 AM
Deleting him should not hurt as you are not attempting to change his character file and yes the VC does simply delete sims you have set it to ban. The banned paper girl still shows up only the VC sends her off in a blue flash and will do the same for any other banned sim.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#17 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 10:44 AM
Ban him and all other unwanted sims on a community lot via visitor controller is the easiest way to go i think.
Just click on your sim and choose "Spawn" then "Visitior Controller". He should be under "NPC".

If you ever need a special sims for story purposes you can set VC to "allowed".
And if you don't mind him moving around just ignore him.
That's what i'm doing.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 10:47 AM
Deleting a sim by picking them up with moveobjects just removes them from the lot, it doesn't delete or change their character files, which would be the bad thing to do.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#19 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 11:42 AM
I cannot for some reason post links today - there is a mod by Neder - no pickpocket, here on MTS. Works perfectly fine in my game.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
Don't delete him, though -- he's a universal NPC, and messing with him will corrupt your whole install.

He's not a universal - there are three (in an unmodded game) files in your neighbourhood folder for UCs. Deleting him temporarily should be fine - that's what the Visitor Controller does anyway. (oh, see I was ninja'd there).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Inventor
#21 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 8:37 PM
It might give you satisfaction to shoot him. At one time I kept AK47s on each community lot, so my sims could gun down the Unsavory Charlatan. No lasting satisfaction, though; the game just spawns another one.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 9:16 PM
You can MOD him out with Neder's mod. You will NEVER see him again.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I cannot for some reason post links today - there is a mod by Neder - no pickpocket, here on MTS. Works perfectly fine in my game.

Here's Neder's no-pickpocket mod.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 10:34 PM
I think Boiling Oil or Simlogical has a mod which makes sure the UC only stick to Vacation lots. I can't provide any links tho as I was some time since I used and removed the mod.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 10:40 PM
I will stick with TwoJeff's Visitor Controller for it does all the ones Neder's dose and a whole lot more. http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=17.0

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Page 1 of 3