Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#276 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 2:35 AM
>>>Im scared of silverware scraping against a plate.. EEEEEEEK UGH! just like nails on a chalkboard!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#277 Old 2nd Dec 2012 at 5:56 AM
Acrophobia. And Elevators, to the point where I get vertigo.

~Jo
Shady, Bruno, Nouk, Fanseelamb and JB: You all help to break my downloads folder. You're all so brilliant, so I wanted to say thanks.
"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde
Mad Poster
#278 Old 2nd Dec 2012 at 6:32 AM
I'm afraid of water, heights, clowns and confined spaces

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Test Subject
#279 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 5:16 PM
generally animal phobias:

rats
possums
skunks
chimpanzees
Lab Assistant
#280 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 7:34 PM
Acrophobia. I'm fine with elevators, but everything else is just... eugh. I hate to think about it.
Theorist
#281 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 8:27 PM
Public humiliation. That my inner personal difficulties are completely visible to all those that observe me for a few seconds, and they're all trading notes and non-verbal communication on what's the most hilarious about me. Also that my peers only tolerate me because it's hilarious to have me think they accept me as a serious individual. Worst case would be for them to get inside my head so that they can write a detailed, tell all exposé.
Alchemist
#282 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 8:52 PM
I'm currently having mixed feelings about doing my drivers lisence. I hope it's only for a short period

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#283 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 10:29 PM
^ I'm like this too. Thank god I've still got a while before I sit my practical test.

Trypanophobia - phobia of getting injections

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Test Subject
#284 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rawra
Arachnophobia and... umm... insectophobia (if there is such a thing). I hate hate hate hate... hate insects!!!!

If they didn't bother you and all of the sudden get in your house (How'd they get in our house?) I wouldn't mind 'em.
Field Researcher
#285 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 1:45 AM
I am almost 27 and I still worry that a rat or snake is going to climb out of my toilet and bite me.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people!
Lab Assistant
#286 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 1:55 AM Last edited by imkrazy1000 : 8th Mar 2013 at 2:07 AM.
Elmo(don't ask), Slenderman(I feel him creeping up sometimes even though I know he isn't there), Empty Children (see Dr. Who season 1 ep 9, I think there gonna creep up on me one day), The creepy hallucination behind me at some nights(Creepy, I'm starting to think I have some kind of schizophrenia), swimming (almost drowned at age 4)
Forum Resident
#287 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 3:27 AM Last edited by tigerex_13 : 26th Mar 2013 at 3:07 AM.
-Demophobia- Fear of crowds. (Agoraphobia)
-confined spaces to a small degree
-needles,really really scared of needles

and for those that want to find the name of their phobia i found this site > http://phobialist.com/
Test Subject
#288 Old 11th Mar 2013 at 3:59 AM
I don't know why, but I'm a pretty hardcore genuphobe. Like, I am just terrified of people's knees. I can't explain it... But they are SO. FUCKING. CREEPY. I've said this before, but seriously, COVER YOUR GODDAMN KNEES UP IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE WALKING AROUND ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! It's not that I think pants above the knee are inappropriate, I definitely don't, I just don't like seeing knees. They remind me of little Jeff Goldblums. There is no place for Jeff Goldblum on my body.
Test Subject
#289 Old 20th Mar 2013 at 1:20 AM
Space Pony
#290 Old 24th Mar 2013 at 10:26 AM
Needles, I know their is a name for it but it's really long and I haven't looked it up in awhile.
I was a preemy 2 lbs 7 oz, and the only place they could get IV's into me was the bottoms of my feet, my mom is also afraid of needles not as bad as me though, so because she was afraid so was I. But this fear became a phobia for me when I was 9 or 10 at the time and I had to get botox injections, to help loosen up my Achilles tendon ( I have mild Cerebral Palsy, my form makes my tendons tight particularly my left Achilles tendon) I went to the hospital for the procedure (only knowing I was going to get a few shots) and the nurse made me drink some stuff that was suppose to make me loopy and not remember anything, however it tasted like cough syrup so I spit half of it out. The doctor waited maybe five minutes before he came in and had me roll over on to my back, he than told the nurse to put all of her weight on the small of my back to keep me from moving. He than started to draw four circles on my calf and started injecting me, the needles had to go into my nerves. All I remember doing is screaming and crying and trying to get away, my mom and grandma were trying to comfort me, the pain was excruciating and kind of felt like I was being burned and stung by bees and it is still indescribable. The doctor walked out calling me a wimp. To this day I'll occasionally have panic attacks and I relieve what happened to the point to where I still feel the injections. One time when I had a panic attack over this for the next few nights the only way I could sleep was by sleeping on my side with a pillow stuffed around my feet, two more pillows stuffed around my calves, a fourth pillow covering my exposed shoulder, the other being pressed firmly into the bed. Than two more pillows wrapped around my arms ( at the bend in the elbow where they draw blood) and my hands underneath the pillow under my head. All of this was to block all of the places where I've had shots, vacciences or IV's.
Oh one side comment the word phobia comes from the Greek God Phobos ( or fear)
Test Subject
#291 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 11:15 AM
Pediophobia, aka phobia of dolls. Those old creepy-looking china/porcelain dolls scare the bejesus outta me I can just scream out in their presence. Ball-jointed dolls also freak me out. Barbie dolls are fine, but I really can't stand Kelly or any of the little kid dolls. I really don't know why I have this but I do.

Why don't we
l i g h t u p t h e n i g h t ?
Instructor
#292 Old 26th Mar 2013 at 2:49 AM
Trypanophobia (fear of needles) & Mottephobia (fear of butterflies & moths)
Forum Resident
#293 Old 26th Mar 2013 at 4:13 AM
I know I have posted twice in this thread but that was a while ago...so I shall post again

A phobia that has been kicked into high gear for me lately is the fear of men. Granted, I am married to a wonderful man and have two daughters by him but in the beginning I was afraid of him as well. And I'm not afraid if there is just a man passing on the street or something but if he acknowledges my existence in any way I freak out. And if a man (who isn't related to me or is my husband) tries to touch me in any way I panic. The same goes if a man shows anger around me.

I just had my daughter a week ago and any mother knows with pregnancy there are doctors and they have to touch you to check on the baby. Most of the time I had female doctors so there were no problems but a couple times I had a male and a simple tummy check had me freaked out and crying. When I had to go to the ER due to preterm contractions and a male doctor came into the room to do a more thorough exam, I tried to stay calm but he didn't even get to do a tummy check before I literally lost control screaming and jumped off the bed and into my husband's arms before going into a panic attack. We then had to drive two hours to get to the next hospital where I could have a female doctor.

I have never been hurt or abused by a man in my life but I still fear them...

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Scholar
#294 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 3:06 AM
Kosmophobia (being around too many people)
Test Subject
#295 Old 13th Apr 2013 at 1:03 PM
I have a really unfortunate mix of phobias: germophobia and emetophobia. My germophobia isn't as obsessive as some. I wash my hands after bathroom/before meals (which I usually schedule to coincide for convenience and so my hands don't get any more like the Sahara desert than they already are) I don't touch my face (but my boyfriend gets to) and I refuse to touch food before I eat it. Sometimes I'll grab a cracker or two before reaching for a napkin or tissue but that's about it. I also refuse to go anywhere near people who are sick with any stomach related illnesses. I don't mind colds even though they suck. I just refuse to put myself at risk of nausea or vomiting or anything.

I also used to be terrified of dogs (whatever that phobia is called) because I was bitten once, but I've slowly recovered.

I probably also have some sort of anxiety disorder. I've been having panic attacks semi-frequently and some days I just can't get myself to do anything without nearly breaking down crying. It's a really bad time for a meltdown because I have a lot due in my art class but when I become emotionally exhausted that's it

Spell check keeps trying to turn my phobias into homophobia... ahahah that's far from true!
Scholar
#296 Old 13th Apr 2013 at 1:09 PM
Coulrophobia, which is fear of Clowns.
Acrophobia, which is fear of heights.
And Anitidaephobia, which is fear of being watched by a duck.
Mad Poster
#297 Old 13th Apr 2013 at 3:35 PM
Cynophobia, fear of dogs. If they're on a leesh and keep away from me, it's fine - but if they're loose or get too close I freak out. If I have to stay in the same house as them, I don't manage to calm down.

Entomophobia, fear of insects. I don't like them and do not want them around me. I'm scared of anything with wings that isn't a fly or a butterfly. Anything with a sting to it, and I freak out (wasps... *shudders).
Which goes together with Arachnophobia, fear of spiders. I was terrified of them when I was younger, but nowadays I manage to care of the problem myself (splat --> toilet --> bye, bye spidy) as long as they're not too big. If they are, they end up trapped.

I also have a sort of social anxiety, which I'm trying to overcome. It goes up and down, depending on the circumstances. The past few years it's been really bad, but for the moment I'm in a good period and intend to stay in it.
And telephonophobia (fear of taking or making phonecalls), to a certain degree. If my social anxiety is in a bad period, there's no point in calling me, because I probably won't answer. Talking in a phone makes me nervous, nearly every time.
Top Secret Researcher
#298 Old 13th Apr 2013 at 7:46 PM
I'm with Lilibug1 and Selfmadequeen & others on making phone calls, although strangely it is a recent development for me:
Quote: Originally posted by selfmadequeen
Mine is like to the point where I have a little panic attack doing something as meaningless as ordering pizza over the phone...
...although in my case I receive calls better than I place them. That is, once in a conversation with someone, I don't do as badly as I had built it up to be. But as to initiating it, ugh. And that dread has been gradually extending to other media. I can drop something important (out of fear of unspecified humiliation) even when there's little or no actual human contact, like sending a fax.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I also have a sort of social anxiety, which I'm trying to overcome. It goes up and down, depending on the circumstances.
I ought to apologise to people I spoke to unsympathetically about this in the past. I had thought it needed something like a skill, so that once you'd developed the skill, you'd be done with that phobia. Evidently that is not quite so. Certainly mine is going the opposite way.

Also I liked this insight from Rhy:
Quote: Originally posted by rhy strikere
...and having to make decisions, really.
the second isn't really a fear, i just get stressed when i am put on the spot to decide something for myself. i assume it has something to do with my parents coddling me and doing all the decision making for me as a child, and now that i'm growing up and nearly legal it's scary having so much freedom.
Perhaps that is me too. Perhaps I miss some things that I've spent the last several years claiming I didn't need.
Mad Poster
#299 Old 13th Apr 2013 at 8:17 PM
Social phobia/anxiety is tricky to deal with. I think I've had it in varying degrees ever since elementary school (I was bullied and had few friends. It became a defense mechanism to stay away from people, and I also had troubles trusting people). I'm usually a somewhat social person, and in small enough groups or under circumstances where I feel comfortable, I doubt anyone would even guess I had a problem. But once something sets it off I become shy and quiet, and the anxiety takes over completely. I don't even dare open my mouth. It's an overwhelming feeling. Maybe I want to say something, but I can't. My mind races, finding every single stupid reason of why I'm not supposed to talk, stomping down the rational part of my brain and refusing to listen to reason. The worst is in settings where some people are supposed to judge my skills or something (such as school situations - oral exams or evaluations). If it gets bad enough I start crying, and before I know it I'm so scared and anxious I can barely think. It doesn't always happen, but when it does it's horrible.

Much the same happens when I'm going to answer a phone, or make a phone call. It's like my brain goes blank, so wiped clean I even have troubles remembering my own name, let alone what I'm supposed to say. It's like having an acute case of aphasia... If I answer the phone without thinking or if I take the phone call without thinking too much through what I'm supposed to say, It's much easier. The trouble is doing it without thinking it through, while at the same time knowing what I'm supposed to say.

Luckily my social anxiety does not apply to the web, as long as I'm allowed to be more or less anonymous.
Test Subject
#300 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 3:08 PM
I probably have more fears than these, but these ones are my "main" fears. Most of these probably aren't phobias, but they definitely make me, well, scared.

- Elevators. Ever since an incident happened with me getting stuck in an elevator with lots of people. My fear of elevators is also why I refuse to go inside elevators, I just usually use the stairs when the gap between the floors aren't big, and when I do use elevators, I usually take the one with the fewest people.

- Falling. I realized that not only falling from heights make me scared, also that even if I fall from a bike (no matter how small it is) make me scared as well.

- Cats. I find them really cute, but their claws intimidate me.

- Insects. Not the butterflies, ladybugs and the small ones of course, but the ones the size of the light switch are just..scary.

I probably have more fears than these, but these ones are my "main" fears.
Page 12 of 13