Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 6:03 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2
Default Cannot Seem to Install Custom LOTs
Basegame only.

Kinda weird thing I have with installing custom lots with houses.

I have about 25 or so lots that I usually install in the game and then I modify them differently each time (and that since TS2 came out). I always use the clean installer. The last time I installed lots was about 4 or 5 years ago, and since I re-started playing the game lately, I cannot seem to be able to install them anymore. I either have forgotten how to or something is wrong.
As I remember, once installed, the files should be in the LotCatalog folder, but they aren't. Not with one or a dozen tries and different lots, they simply do not install, but if I re-install (overwrite) the same file, it says that it is already there....hm.....but nothing in the Lotcatalog.
I noticed though that the installer's defaulkt install, it says that it is installing the files into the Teleport folder. What? (I don't remember this) But they don't show up in the House and Lot bin neither........So, I changed the install folder to the LOTCatalog folder, but hey.....now it says: Cannot find the access path.....??? Oh my......this looks like trouble.....lol

I looked for an hour and a half to find the problem here on this site, but couldn't find anything helpful.....and now I ran out of ideas. Help would be appreciated since I cannot install NOT ONE custom lot anymore, although I installed them dozens of times before. Did I forget how to install? Or is it something else.

Thanks in advance for helping me to find out what's wrong here.

mrb

Here are some pics that might help:

Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 6:07 PM
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but any custom content installed with the Clean Installer goes into the Teleport folder. Once you load the game, it should be converted and moved into the Lot Catalog folder. That's in my experience, at least.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 6:24 PM
Yes, indeed. I notice, however, that Clean Installer claims it is installing the files into EA Games\\Teleport. That should be EA Games\The Sims 2\Teleport. What happens if you install the files there instead?

Did you deliberately get rid of all the EA lots in the bin?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Site Helper
#4 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 8:17 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 28th Nov 2013 at 8:48 PM.
Lots are installed into the Teleport folder by default, then modified and moved to the LotCatalog folder by the game. This is the standard behavior. Your only problem is that your save game path is incorrect.

Edit your C:\Program Files\Sims2Pack Clean Installer\S2PCI.ini file using Notepad and change the line:
SaveGamePath=""
to
SaveGamePath="C:\Documents and Settings\Marc Antoine\Mes Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2"

Save over the existing file to make sure that Notepad doesn't add a file extension of txt.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 1:55 AM
@k6ka, thanks, good to know, but it still didn't work.
@Nyasha, I copied all the files in the EA Games\\Teleport folder into the EA Games\The Sims 2\Teleport folder and behold, it worked. I had houses and lots in my House& Lot Bin.

@Mootilda, I did what you said (see pics below) and nothing seems to be in the LotCatalog, although files were installed in the Sims2/Teleport folder. Now it seems that the files are not being moved to the LotCatalog and they do not show up ingame in the House bin neither, even after a dozen or so installs of different files........Thanks

Thanks ya all, your help is always appreciated.

mrb
Site Helper
#6 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 2:25 AM
The Clean Installer window now shows the correct path, which is good. And it sounds like the files are being properly installed into the Teleport folder, which is good.

However, as I understand it, the game is not moving the files from the Teleport folder to the LotCatalog. Can you still see the files in the Teleport folder (two files per lot)? Or, do those files just disappear?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 4:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
The Clean Installer window now shows the correct path, which is good. And it sounds like the files are being properly installed into the Teleport folder, which is good.

However, as I understand it, the game is not moving the files from the Teleport folder to the LotCatalog. Can you still see the files in the Teleport folder (two files per lot)? Or, do those files just disappear?

I am not a Pro in this matter with files, but for what I can see, I think that two similar files are present in the EA/Sims2/Teleport folder. (see pic below)

A lot of files in there, but nothing in the LotCatalog. I wonder, can I just clean that folder of these files and try installing some "fresh" ones? Thanks

mrb
Site Helper
#8 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 4:58 AM
Yes, you can delete files in that folder without any issues. Try installing just one lot, then run the game and see what happens.

There's a limit on the number of lots in the Lot Bin... I wonder whether you've run into that limit?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 5:03 PM
Yes, you can delete files in that folder without any issues. Try installing just one lot, then run the game and see what happens.

There's a limit on the number of lots in the Lot Bin... I wonder whether you've run into that limit?

I emptied the Teleport folder, then installed 5 lots with the Clean Installer and I got nothing, neither in the teleport folder nor in LotCatalog. Hm.....? So I retried to install and a message appeared that the lot already exists in the teleport folder, but.....nothing shows. Ha......Nothing is perfect, that I know, but one thing sure, this game isn't.....lol

I am starting to think I have serious problems. Any ideas or explanations?
I don't want to re-install the game, so is there a way to install these files with another program or manually? Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks

mrb

EDIT: Had an idea, maybe re-installing the Clean Installer might help, maybe the program is "tired out", caught a bug or simply got broken....?
Site Helper
#10 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 5:12 PM
You must be looking in the wrong folder.

You can copy the folder name by selecting it from the Clean Installer window, holding down the <ctrl> key and then pressing the C key. Then, paste that path into your Windows Explorer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Nov 2013 at 4:14 AM Last edited by mrbisonm : 30th Nov 2013 at 4:33 AM.
Wrong folder? lol....how many folders of teleport are there?

The above pics were taken in MyDocuments/EA Games/ The Sims2/ teleport, but I also have another teleport folder in MyDocuments/EA Games/teleport, which is also empty.

Then........I did what you said and I ended up with a teleport folder which had all the files in it.....but what is this? Is there a third folder of the same name? And where is it? Thanks

I'm totally lost now............

Edit: Ok, here's what I found. Wondering that there could be only one TS2/teleport folder, I did a search on my hard drive and found a third one under C/Documents and Settings.The Clean Installer creates a new user with the the teleport folder under the same user's name. I deleted that user folder several times and the installer always ends up creating it again. Something is wrong with the Installer????
I don't get it, the path in the installer is the same, why does it create a new folder under Marc-Antoine and settles the files there?

Is there another way to install these files without using the Clean Installer?

Site Helper
#12 Old 30th Nov 2013 at 5:01 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 30th Nov 2013 at 5:12 AM.
One folder looks like it has a dash and the other doesn't. Is that right?

It actually matters that you pick the correct one. If you've told the Clean Installer to install in "Marc Antoine", but your username is actually "Marc-Antoine", then the Clean Installer isn't going to install things where you want them. Computers are pretty dumb. They do exactly what you tell them to do.

Change the S2PCI.ini file to point to the correct save game location and I believe that things will start working correctly.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Nov 2013 at 5:52 AM
Am I glad to know you....lol. Great observation sense.....I didn't even see the freakin' dash.....geeez, now everything works as it is supposed to. Files are installed in the right place and appear in the LotCatalog and the House and LOT bin ingame is showing them all. Just Great!
This is the third time you helped me out. Thank you, your knowledge and patience is much appreciated.

mrb

PS.......you're right, computers are dumb.
Site Helper
#14 Old 30th Nov 2013 at 5:54 AM
Excellent! I'm so glad that we've got you working again. Sorry that it took so long to spot the problem.

You'll probably want to delete all of those excess folders. There's no need to keep them and they could be confusing in the future.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Nov 2013 at 7:53 AM
Excellent! I'm so glad that we've got you working again. Sorry that it took so long to spot the problem.

You'll probably want to delete all of those excess folders. There's no need to keep them and they could be confusing in the future.

If you're glad, imagine me.....lol
Don't worry about the time it took to find the problem, it only tested my patience.

Yap, I got everything deleted that was not necessary, cleaned it all. Now I will be playing this weekend, it's cold outside (live in Canada) and warm inside and nothing else to do. Thanks again.

mrb
Locked thread | Locked by: julianarosalia Reason: solved