Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 3rd May 2012 at 3:29 AM
My brother has HFA (high-functioning autism) And his personality shows through the HFA. There are some little quirks that he does, similar to the lesbian kissing situation mentioned above. He is 10 and one time, he, my mom and I were at a store complex when we walked past this man who was smoking. My brother plugged his nose and said quite loudly to us, "Don't breathe! He's smoking!" We were both pretty embarrassed, or at least I was. But if the man had demanded an explanation, I think HFA is perfectly valid and excusable.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#27 Old 3rd May 2012 at 10:17 AM
I wouldn't consider that inappropriate, really. There's nothing more frustrating than when you're cheerfully minding your own business, and suddenly someone starts smoking right next to you... because coughing half to death, then having to shower and re-wash my clothes is precisely what I had planned for this afternoon!

Well - it could be inappropriate if he was speaking particularly loudly, that's true.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 3rd May 2012 at 1:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Well - it could be inappropriate if he was speaking particularly loudly, that's true.

Yes, smokers have feelings too, let's not hurt them, especially when they are so considerate to non-smokers too.
Test Subject
#29 Old 6th May 2012 at 2:49 PM
You two have good points, but if it made a difference, he started pointing at the man to us when we didn't answer him and talking even louder, until at last I said "Yes, we see the man, yes you shouldn't breathe it".
Scholar
#30 Old 24th May 2012 at 1:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MintyBitty
My brother has HFA (high-functioning autism) And his personality shows through the HFA. There are some little quirks that he does, similar to the lesbian kissing situation mentioned above. He is 10 and one time, he, my mom and I were at a store complex when we walked past this man who was smoking. My brother plugged his nose and said quite loudly to us, "Don't breathe! He's smoking!" We were both pretty embarrassed, or at least I was. But if the man had demanded an explanation, I think HFA is perfectly valid and excusable.

Sometimes I have the half the mind to go scream at smokers in public places myself. But, it's one of those things that "society" and "ethics" won't allow you to do.
*Crosses arms and mumbles about ethics and society ruining all my fun*

Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Yes, smokers have feelings too, let's not hurt them, especially when they are so considerate to non-smokers too.

*Laughs hysterically* But, seriously everything in that sentence was a lie. Especially that part where you said the're considerate to non-smokers. That was the funniest part of the joke.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#31 Old 24th May 2012 at 3:48 AM
Quote:
My brother plugged his nose and said quite loudly to us, "Don't breathe! He's smoking!" We were both pretty embarrassed, or at least I was. But if the man had demanded an explanation, I think HFA is perfectly valid and excusable.

Demand an explanation? I'd love to give people who smoke in public areas a piece of my mind. I'd enjoy handing out an 'explanation'.
Quote:
*Crosses arms and mumbles about ethics and society ruining all my fun*
yes that ^

The boy doesn’t need any kind of excuse, the man smoking in a public area does. Of course I do live in a country where smoking is relegated only to certain areas and illegal outside of those areas, something smokers often seem to ignore. But even in a legal area I don't see why I should have to physically suffer to get from point A to point B because I have to pass a smoker. Smokers need to realize they aren’t chewing gum or doing something else they can keep to themselves, and by congregating right outside the door that others have to pass through means others have to take in their smoke or as the boy said, literally 'hold your breath'. I often have to if I have to pass five or so smokers. I don't think they are aware of (or maybe just don’t care) just how far the smoke goes and that some of us can have immediate adverse physical reactions to the smoke.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 24th May 2012 at 4:58 AM
I haven't had any experience with an autistic child though I do know of the illness and what it's symptoms are. To be honest though most Thirteen year olds go ew over any for of affection shown. Some keep that mind set even a bit longer then others but most children that I've known thirteen and under are made uncomfortable by PDA. Even if it's with their own parents, maybe especially that.

As an adult I still find PDA's make me a little uncomfortable. I don't mean holding hands, hugs and quick kisses, I'm fine with that. It's the prolonged passionate kisses and groping that gets to me so I can understand why this young teen said ew, while I would just look away and let them go on with their business.

A child through young teen tend to react vocally when they see something they don't like. This girl merely saw something that disturbed her and vocalized it before she thought about it. Though with the autism she probably didn't really think about it in the first place. While it's good that a person can express themselves it is also important for us as adults to teach them about limitations and common courtesy. Even if an autistic child does not fully comprehend it doesn't hurt to try to teach them when something is not acceptable behavioral wise. It's our job as parents it's just more difficult for parents with autistic children. It does not mean that they shouldn't try.

And the woman that bashed the poor kid for saying ew had no right to do so. That's the parents job, not theirs. As long as nothing harmful is happening to a child the world at large should mind their own business.
Test Subject
#33 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 12:09 AM
I know this thread is old, but I have two children with Autism and I just wanted to clear a few things up.

Firstly, Autism does NOT render anyone a perpetual child. Its just not true.

Secondly, someone else said that autism is an illness. It is not, it is a neurological disorder.
Instructor
#34 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fez
Secondly, someone else said that autism is an illness. It is not, it is a neurological disorder.

Thank you for clearing that up... My brother is autistic.... Mehh... I just feel really bad for him, he has a hard time at school particularly... He is in a regular public elementary school, but in the Special Education.... One day he came home crying because a boy called him "dumb" or something... He is the sweetest kid though and it breaks my heart. What really bugs me though is when I tell my friends at school that my brother has autism, the first thing they assume is that he gets angry a lot. I HATE that stereotype. UGH.

♫ She's got sunset on her breath, I inhaled just a little bit now I got no fear of death ♫
Test Subject
#35 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 1:36 AM
Frustrating, isn't it. Its called a spectrum disorder for a reason!

I also understand the difficulties surrounding schooling. Of our two boys our eldest went to a normal school, and our youngest a special school. After three years of trying and trying, we eventually made the decision to send our oldest child to the special school as well. Sadly, not because of the children, but rather the adults, who despite having a child with autism in their lives chose not to look into what it actually meant.
Test Subject
#36 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 3:45 AM
I used to babysit an autistic kid, and her parents never used it as an excuse for bad behaviour. However, I don't think saying ew at a couple kissing is bad behaviour. The person overreacted, that's all. Nobody likes PDAs, and adults are just polite enough to ignore it. It's also because homosexually is a controversial topic that the person reacted that way. Autism is the explaination, but it's not an excuse. It's like a toddler who bites someone, and the parents saying its because he/she is teething. Yes that's the reason, but its not an excuse, they should still know better. Autism is hard to deal with, especially in public when people don't always understand. I think this is a minor incident that got blown out of proportion.
Field Researcher
#37 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 8:12 PM
Ugh why would they think the kid's being homophobic. If I saw people making out I'd be very uncomfortable. It seems they don't have logic if they skipped over the fact it's PDA and PDA no matter who's doing it isn't something anyone wants to see ever.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by piggypeach
Thank you for clearing that up... My brother is autistic.... Mehh... I just feel really bad for him, he has a hard time at school particularly... He is in a regular public elementary school, but in the Special Education.... One day he came home crying because a boy called him "dumb" or something... He is the sweetest kid though and it breaks my heart. What really bugs me though is when I tell my friends at school that my brother has autism, the first thing they assume is that he gets angry a lot. I HATE that stereotype. UGH.

Rofl I'm unnaturally calm so people don't think that's Autism: They just think I'm high. i can put up with things for years but I have my limits, and I have gotten into fights because someone beat me up everyday for a couple years in a row and naturally I fought back after a while. I'm not that "quite person being dangerous" stereotype but if someone does something terrible enough I'll quickly beat them up with no warning. Some guy strangled me with a wire in the class when the teacher wasn't there so I beat the crap out of him. If I beat someone up I always have a valid reason for it, and sometimes I beat someone up if they do things to my friends. I'm not really a violent person, though.
Instructor
#39 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 10:06 PM
jthm_nny... that's interesting, it demonstrates how much autistic people can vary... but what I did notice was that this:
Quote:
...I'll quickly beat them up with no warning

Doesn't agree with this:
Quote:
I'm not really a violent person, though

Lol I'm sorry and I know everyone is different.. it just struck me as... what you said didn't completely fit together. Please don't take it the wrong way

♫ She's got sunset on her breath, I inhaled just a little bit now I got no fear of death ♫
Undead Molten Llama
#40 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 11:46 PM
OK, maybe I'm weird. PDAs don't bother me much at all, no matter who's doing it. But then, I'm a hippie, so it kind of goes with the territory. Free love and all that jazz.

I dunno, though. Maybe it's the hippie crowd I hang out with, raising similarly hippie kids, but most not-autistic 13ish-year-olds that I know don't "ew" over PDAs. Certainly not the boys, since that's about the age the testosterone starts to kick in for them and they subsequently become all kinds of interested in sex...at which point the reaction to PDAs tends to become more "Oooh!" than "Ew!" (Unless, of course, it's their parents doing it, because no one wants to think about their parents having sex, not matter how old you are. ) In fact, I'm fairly certain my son was engaging in PDAs himself when he was 13 because that was..Well, let's just say a "difficult" stage in his development, when he and I weren't relating well and he was running kind of wild. (He's married and in the Army now, walking the straight and narrow. ) And my daughter at that age shrugged off PDAs, started doing so when she was about 8. Of course, all kids are different and mine are heavily influenced by my own rather free attitudes toward things like sex and nudity and such. (Although I'm an odd bird. Sex and nudity and such don't bother me, but I won't be with another man unless/until my ex-husband dies because I believe that divorce is wrong because it is breaking a solemn vow...even though I am divorced and...Yeah, odd bird.) But... Well, hell, like I said a lot of 13ish-year-olds are the ones DOING the PDAs, so far as I've seen. My (almost-15-year-old) daughter works at the local library, so I'm here a lot (am now) picking her up or dropping her off or killing time waiting for her to finish so that I don't have to go out AGAIN and get her. (God, it'll be so much easier once she can drive next year *sigh*) and some of the kids out on the patio...yeah. In fact, two of 'em are out there right now, going at it. Makes me wanna take a hose to 'em, maybe, but it doesn't freak me out. Hippie sensibilities, like I said. There's a lot to be said for them. Or maybe NOT a lot to be said for them, depending on your point of view, I suppose.

THAT said, I kinda agree with Mistermook (OMG, it might be a first!). While the reactions to the autistic kid's reaction were kind of extreme (Things with a whiff of gay issues about them do tend to bring out the worst in some people, y'know. People on both sides of the fence get uppity over it.), it's not as if those people should be expected to telepathically know that the kid is autistic with an accompanying case of erotophobia. Not unless he's wearing his special "Hi! I'm autistic! And erotophobic!" name tag, that is. And while I do agree that autism and other conditions can be a valid "excuse" for generally frowned-upon behavior, I really don't think it's an excuse that in many or perhaps even most cases can last forever. Most such kids/people can be taught to behave according to acceptable societal standards. (Phobias are irrational and therefore sometimes hard to control...but they CAN be controlled.) And I would think that by 13, most autistic kids who function highly enough that they can and will interact mostly normally with other people could be reasonably expected to behave properly most of the time or at least be well on their way to being that way.

I mean, we're talking about a 13-year-old, an adolescent. Not a 6-year-old child. Yes, I realize that young teens have a range of maturity levels, but it's likely that ALL of them, not-severely-autistic or not, will at least be past the level of a 6-year-old. If this kid's aware enough of the external world and can relate to it enough to recognize a PDA, then she can be taught that it's impolite to go "EW!" out loud when she sees one, even if she really, really wants to go "Ew!" In other words, she can be taught to keep her reaction to herself. And by 13, I think it's reasonable for the public to expect that she'd at least be on her way there. No, that doesn't give them a right to "bash" her, but I don't think it's particularly surprising that someone did, especially not if she looks like a 13-year-old. People expect a certain level of behavior from kids who appear to be a certain age -- particularly so of girls, who tend to mature, both physically and behaviorally, sooner than boys do -- and if they don't comply, then some people are going to be outspoken enough to say something. (I've been known to reprimand monkey children that aren't mine who climb up shelves in grocery stores, myself, if only for their own safety. I've also told teens that aren't mine to shut up on occasion, when they're being unnecessarily loud/obnoxious in inappropriate places. It's my right as an elder.) That doesn't make them terrible people. It makes them a human with perhaps a lower tolerance for disrespectful young teens than some people have.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
#41 Old 13th Jun 2012 at 3:31 AM
Quote:
I mean, we're talking about a 13-year-old, an adolescent. Not a 6-year-old child. Yes, I realize that young teens have a range of maturity levels, but it's likely that ALL of them, not-severely-autistic or not, will at least be past the level of a 6-year-old. If this kid's aware enough of the external world and can relate to it enough to recognize a PDA, then she can be taught that it's impolite to go "EW!" out loud when she sees one, even if she really, really wants to go "Ew!" In other words, she can be taught to keep her reaction to herself. And by 13, I think it's reasonable for the public to expect that she'd at least be on her way there. No, that doesn't give them a right to "bash" her, but I don't think it's particularly surprising that someone did, especially not if she looks like a 13-year-old. People expect a certain level of behavior from kids who appear to be a certain age -- particularly so of girls, who tend to mature, both physically and behaviorally, sooner than boys do -- and if they don't comply, then some people are going to be outspoken enough to say something. (I've been known to reprimand monkey children that aren't mine who climb up shelves in grocery stores, myself, if only for their own safety. I've also told teens that aren't mine to shut up on occasion, when they're being unnecessarily loud/obnoxious in inappropriate places. It's my right as an elder.) That doesn't make them terrible people. It makes them a human with perhaps a lower tolerance for disrespectful young teens than some people have.

Unfortunately, that's not quite how it works with autism. Sometimes you can teach them until you're blue in the face about what's appropriate and what's not, and still get nowhere.

My favorite line when it comes to dealing with people who tell my autistic children off in public is "I'm sorry, he has Autism. What's YOUR excuse?". Because you know... It's equally obnoxious.
Test Subject
#42 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 12:52 PM
les-be honest, I hate PDA. Depending on the level of it, my ability to escape it, and my environment, I become varying levels of uncomfortable, but some people really need to learn to keep in in their pants. At least long enough to get a room, 'cause geeze. I start hearing suspicious wet glosh glosh noises and I am DONE. I more have a problem with other people engaging in it with me. I don't like being watched, the idea skeeves me out. And trust me, I'm a firey fox of passion. Furthermore I am not a trophy to be flaunted about by kissing in public like, "Hey guys look I got this girl to like me! Please think I'm cool!" I don't like it when other people act like that either, and some people, I swear, have NO regard for the fact that they are in public. And having had to watch quite enough PDA moments, I have to say, as long as you ARE engaging in PDA, please try not to be so awkward. What are you doing sir? No really what are you doing to this lady, I have no idea what your arm's doing in that position and I'm a little bit afraid. I'm not as bad as some of my friends who get peeved even if a couple's just holding hands, but yeah.

So you know, I don't think you need an excuse to hate PDA, if that's the place where it's coming from. I think there are a lot of valid reasons do disapprove of PDA of any kind, so there's no need to go all, "oh my daughters just rude 'cause she's autistic." The problem with this situation, IMO, is using autism as an excuse where it doesn't belong. Autism might exaggerate a particular phobia/distaste into a bigger deal by it's nature, but individuals with autism are just that, individuals. How the disorder manifests itself has to do with lots of different factors. It may or may not be a valid reason all by itself, but until you know any one kid well enough to judge that for yourself you might not ever know if it's a legitimate reason or just an excuse. There are parents out there who would use it that way, and there are people who would want to diagnose their child as "oh they're just autistic" or "they're just anxious" or whatever rather than face that maybe they're not the best parents or whatever thought process goes through their brains.

Just like, as many gay/lesbian/bi friends as I have, there are some individual GLBT people who act like their GLBT identification gives them license to do/say things that aren't necessarily appropriate. This is NOT most people, if I see people being homophobic towards my friends I'll usually get upset and would wanna do something about it. But that doesn't mean I have to excuse ALL GLBT people when they overstep bounds, such as that I don't particularly want PDA all up in my face. Some of them are more sensitive about being chastised than others and will say "you only don't like it 'cause I'm a LESBIAN don't you?" But not necessarily just for things like PDA, like, for anything they do that you don't like. It's a matter of identifying so much as one thing that that's the immediate reason someone must not like something, and that's discrimination! Outrage!

^^So I definitely support GLBT relations too, I have to say one of the cutest couples I know are a gay couple, because I was just SO HAPPY my friend finally found someone he loves/who makes him happy and I felt like he deserved that so much their PDA moments don't even bother me at all. I will defend the crap out of them to anyone. And MOST people are not going to be getting all huffy like I described above.

So, in situations like the one described here, I'd say it really depends. The problem with people is that no one's the same, everyone has different backgrounds and expectations, and no matter how hard anyone tries, no one can ever act in such a way to keep everyone appeased all the time. People just learn how not to be a complete jerk.

TL:DR: 1, PDA by itself doesn't have to be universally approved and should be a good enough explanation for the described behavior without involving autism. 2, Autism has a lot of variety within the disorder and can be the root cause of such behaviors, but can also be used as an excuse when it has nothing at all to do with the behavior at hand. 3, GLBT persons have a right to defend themselves/not be discriminated against, but not when they aren't being discriminated against. 4, People make mistakes and perceive things differently/often act without all the information, so who knows who was really "right" in this situation. It could have been both or neither. 5, Fuck yeah sexy time.

Quote: Originally posted by piggypeach
I feel that. My brother's autistic too, and he's the sweetest thing on the planet. He's pretty moderate/severely autistic/MR, and he can't communicate much, but he always wants to help, and picks up on when one of us is angry or sad, and gets upset 'cause he wants to make it better. I fucking love my brother. He does kinda act like a perpetual child sometimes (he's 22) but that's definitely not like how most autistic kids have to act. I know there are kinds of kids who do act out in the scary angry way, as I've met quite a few of those too, and I always feel so bad for those kid's families. But from what I can see that's a fair minority of kids on the spectrum. (My parents run a school for kids with moderate/severe autism, and I've worked there/volunteered there a lot).
Alchemist
#43 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 1:50 PM
...but regarding PDA in general, i dont like it, personally. its obnoxious. if youre going to be in the public eye, you cant expect not to be publicly judged/observed. therefore, if youre going to neck with your lover in public, expect there to be some people like me out there who will stare intensely, unblinking, at you until you notice me and cut it out. my favorite is if people notice me and then get offended/flustered. dont want to be observed? as the kids in middle school would put it: get a room.

and you dont have to be "erotophobic" to simply not find that kind of thing appealing or welcome.
make no mistake, im not advocating people be ashamed of their feelings toward one another, but i am saying that for the same reason i dont want to see a naked man on the subway, i dont want to see a makeout session on the subway; its intimate, it should be private, and quite frankly i dont care about how they feel about themselves/each other...theres a time and place for everything.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Mad Poster
#44 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 7:42 PM
I'm not sure if what the OP was describing a normal affectionate embrace or a protracted and intimate one. Usually, too much passion is what makes most people uncomfortable.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#45 Old 16th Jun 2012 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I'm not sure if what the OP was describing a normal affectionate embrace or a protracted and intimate one. Usually, too much passion is what makes most people uncomfortable.

With a cases like these they always seem to be vague.

For example: Person A says something and is publicly criticized by Person B!

I wish there was a link; it would make it much easier to debate. But, then again sensationalist news people always leave out details to make it seem more interesting or exciting.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Field Researcher
#46 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 4:28 PM
Oh man, those ladies are lucky I wasn't there. You bash an autistic kid for your own stupidity and there's gonna be a problem. I've never met a lesbian who was stupid so I have no idea how I'll react to them but believe me, what they said to the kid is gonna look pretty mild compared to what I would say to them.
Banned
#47 Old 8th Jul 2012 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MintyBitty

LOL I do something like that whenever I encounter secondhand smoke. I say to whoever's puffing away "thanks for making me smoke today" in a really nasty tone. Why? Because I can. Kudos to your little brother - autism or no, that was justified. Secondhand smoke is basically someone inflicting their filthy habit on other people.
Inventor
#48 Old 23rd Aug 2012 at 6:45 AM
I wanted to add to this because Autism is really difficult to deal with sometimes, and the Autistic saying ewww might be reason to celebrate. Autism is a brain defect in the social center so there is often a delay in correct responces until the child is older than is normal for those type responces. If a normal 8 year old said it people would chuckle because 8's tend to think all PDA's are gross, and we know thats kind of normal for 8's. If it comes from a 13 year old that has finally reached the stage where they are trying that kind of emotional responce we all think its odd..... thus the h*ll of Autism. I have Sotos Syndrome and grew at twice the rate of normal children so often I looked 2 years older than my emotional responce and social behavior matched and people would wonder or look at me oddly. A kid that looks 8 and behaves 6 is veiwed as odd even though its not possible to be as emotionaly mature as a 8 year old at 6 years. Its even more difficult when hormonal maturity comes early without the emotional maturity. I had learned to be social enough to act like I was two years older than I was to be social. Autistics cant do that .....for some reason it doesnt click that the behavior caused everyone to look at them funny. I was evaluated for Autism enough times as a child to get it and thank goodness I didnt get dumped in the Autistic pool because most people dont even try that hard whith them. I just focused on the thought that some day no one would be able to tell that there was something horribly wrong with me.

By the way because of the studies with us Sotos can now be treated with growth hormone or stem cell both of which seem to slow the tremendous growth spurts. (It can be treated or cured) I dont know if we will ever be able to fix all the Autisms.

Some people have a Guardian Angel, you know a little guy sitting on your shoulder that tells you right from wrong, but mine is an Idiot.
Test Subject
#49 Old 23rd Aug 2012 at 7:06 AM
Pardon my intrudence, I don't believe I've ever posted before, but I feel that this topic was one that required a first hand accounting, I am autistic, I have what's known as Asperger's Syndrome, so I'm high funciton but still autistic, if I may say, NO ONE who is not autistic will ever be able to understand me, or at least, no one has so far, I have an issue with physical contact, pda (Public Displays of Affection) bothers me as well, anything that is overtly romantic / sexual in nature bother me, I have learned to not say it out loud, unless there is just cause for example, somone oversteps the boundaries I put around myself, but when I was younger, I would have done the same. Not only am I autistic, but I'm also bipolar, with adhd and ocd, so my problem with people is multiplied by the issues brought up by those disorders, the bipolar makes it harder to relate how I am feeling, becuase often times, I don't know how I feel, not to mention my emotions are always in turmoil. the adhd makes it hard to pay attention when people talk, I do not mean to sound like I'm making excuses by the way. I am simply giving the words told me by my doctor person.

oh, sorry, I think i'm rambling, i shall end post now XD
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#50 Old 23rd Aug 2012 at 7:17 AM
I'm somewhat lucky that my PDD NOS son who is nearly 8, but acts about 5 looks about 6. He is just a naturally small kid who probably takes after my dad who is also short. I'm sure it's spared me some looks over the years.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~

Page 2 of 3