Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#2801 Old 7th Jun 2016 at 4:47 AM
If I am using the same neighborhood, I like to leave use different parts of the map during each era, leaving empty the old era lots.

Visit my Test of Time Challenge site: sims2testoftime.weebly.com.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2802 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 11:09 AM
I started a blog about this challenge! http://randomblogwithrandomstuff2468.blogspot.in/
Lab Assistant
#2803 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 7:21 AM
Oh dear, I seem to have returned during a dead zone... great timing Taliah >_> *apathetic applause* well done

HEY ALL! Long time no seeee~ How we all been? Looks like there's a lot of restarting going on, but WOW I am so impressed by the evolution of the Neanderthal Era! Simmers are such creative little peeps. I am digging that new ATOT website, also. I've just been checking out the new insert (it's probably old by now?!) Ancient Greece - I took one look at the Gods and Goddesses option and signed myself up for that in great big red permanent ink. Booyeah that is going to be FUN! If you can get past the Neanderthal Era... amma right? Why is it so difficult?! Whyyyy... *face plants on the ground*

I'm restarting for the seventh time - that I can remember - I haven't played in ages and I've completely cleaned out my downloads folder and reinstalled due to something buggy with my game; so it's all fresh and pretty again, yay~ But I refuse - I absolutely refuse! (is scared witless) to start IN the Neanderthal Era - again! - so I'm trying something different... but it's a work in progress without any set rules AS YET... and I'm aiming for 10 generations with a "let's just try ten for now and see what happens when we get there ok?! ok!" *fist clench* sort of resolution. It's pretty much Modern - Apocalypse/Neanderthal - Ancient Greece - Roman... wait, I totally just put the Roman Era even further away now didn't I?! Ugh...

I'll also be blogging again, since I seem to do better that way (weirdly) plus it's a good way to remind myself of what's been happening at times I haven't played for a while.

I hope everyone will be back soon! I'll be checking in more regularly. I am totally back in this challenge *game face on* bring it!

taliah~ (keeping it easy, breezy, beautiful... wait, no, stop that now)
Field Researcher
#2804 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 1:46 AM
It's not... completely dead... I've just been busier than ever this summer so far!

I'll be playing a bit more this week actually. But DANGIT this is a hard challenge lol

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Instructor
#2805 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 5:28 PM Last edited by LiliLiliLili : 2nd Jul 2016 at 6:31 PM.
This is the first challenge I ever did, here is a picture of my sims and the lots. I did not choose a neighborhood template that has water, because water looks glitchy in my game in neighborhood mode, so I put decorative ponds. :/ But I have to pay the bills, what if I don't have money?
Field Researcher
#2806 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 5:52 PM
Your neighbourhood looks nice.

If you use the moveobjects cheat, you can just delete the bills. Or you can use the Visitor Controller to stop the mail delivery NPC from coming to your lots. That's what I do.

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Instructor
#2807 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 7:05 PM
I have a question... can they sell the boot that they got while fishing?

Closeups
http://imgur.com/a/ay5hc
Field Researcher
#2808 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 7:26 PM
That's up to you. But you can't really do much with the boots besides selling them.

Your sims look great. I really like the redheads. Did you make them on your own? Or are they available for download somewhere?

Instructor
#2809 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 7:38 PM
Thanks! I made them today. Too bad a shower is not allowed in the first stage.. Once I downloaded a hack that allowed sims to clean themselves with a sponge if I click on the sink. But that site no longer exists.
Field Researcher
#2810 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 8:51 PM
Simlogical has a sponge bath mod: http://www.drealm.info/simlogical/s...ms2_Washing.htm (It's a little lower than half way down the page). But most of us are actually playing with showers. Sims are just too annoying when dirty.

Inventor
#2811 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheFlyingRaccoon
Simlogical has a sponge bath mod: http://www.drealm.info/simlogical/s...ms2_Washing.htm (It's a little lower than half way down the page). But most of us are actually playing with showers. Sims are just too annoying when dirty.
So that's where that mod came from... My game is modded to the extreme and I sometimes forget which hack exactly I've got. Thank god for the HCDU.

On topic: I use showers, but then my first gen sims are aliens from a crashed ship, so they can have a bit of technology. Like showers. And phones. Although, come to think of it, I probably should have put the shower on the end of the building next to the pond... ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Instructor
#2812 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 9:35 PM
Thanks! My first child is born! The women are pregnant, but I have played a bit more with that asian family, because I wanted to save them. There were only one meal left, then I sent my sim fishing. I exited the lot without saving until my sim catched a lot of fish just before his needs dropped. And the fishes were enough for the couple. Yay, I saved them! Right now the male sim repairs the sink, but he just smashes the screwdiver while screaming in anger. Weird. XD
Instructor
#2813 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 9:56 PM
The skin 1 people will gone, if I don't try making more girls. There are only 1. And the other girls are skin 3 and 4.
Inventor
#2814 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 11:58 PM
Lili, don't worry too much on the girls issue. According to the rules, your females in the Neanderthal Era are pretty much always pregnant. You'll get some girls in there. They may be a bit younger than their spouses due to so many boys being born first, but the gender imbalance will end up evening out. Plus you're totally allowed to mix up the skintones a bit. If it bothers you too much just keep the skintones with an adjacent number. 1's with 2's, 2's with 1's and 3's, 3's with 2's and 4's, and 4's with 3's. You might need to keep a record of family trees and whatnot just so you don't get a surprise off-skinned baby due to an ancestor having a skintone from the opposite end of the spectrum. Or you could do like so many of us and toss the rules on skintones out the window. Alternate rules of the challenge say you can use family wealth as a guide to who's Emperor in the next era. Or like me, I'm using family friends as a rank decider. The more friends you have, ie the more influential you are, the higher you rank in my sim's society.

So if the lack of girls right now is freaking you out, use the alternate ruling, or make up one of your own. But remember, your hood is still pretty new, so there's still time for things to change. You never know, on your next play session, those skin one families might pop out several sets of twin girls, and then your problem is fixed. ~VP

Instructor
#2815 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 7:57 AM
Thanks for the answer. I used lifetime rewards so my sim's needs should decrease slower. And they also turn to plantsim , because they need to spray the plants. To avoid this, now I use children and teens to do that, because they cannot turn to plantsim. Yeah, they have a good thing, that they only have 3 needs, but I more like when my sims look like humans.
Instructor
#2816 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 1:50 PM Last edited by LiliLiliLili : 6th Jul 2016 at 11:15 PM.
Yay, my sim had twin girls with skin 2 :D

edit: nice timing

Ok, I lost my patience, so I aged up every child (1 boy, 2 girls) and the one baby to teens and made their relationships with their future partner to 100/100, because without hacks I had achieved the going steady status with a single date, so it wouldn't have took long anyway, but I am tired of doing another date, and I don't want to remain in the first historical stage too long because I want to improve the game, I am excited. But I still only have 2 generations . . . x(
But when I reach the Roman age, then I will be patient, because almost every object will be allowed and Romans are civilized (but that gladiator fight is not...). I don't know how to make prisons. O.o I can't lock people into community lots, that is impossible. Or maybe I just don't get it right. Maybe it's actually a residental lot, but I have to pretend it's not? That would be so much easier. Okay, I know asking about the Roman age is too early, but I want to know what to do. And how do I move out teens?? I must wait until they become adults, then I move one of them into a new lot, then I add his/her partner ? Or when they both reach adulthood, I go into one of the families and invite the partner over then marry, so they move in, then I can move out both of them. That is less time consuming, nobody dlikes loading screens. What do you think, can I change the colonization era to early rococo? If not, that is ok!! Maybe I make a Romeo and Juliet story in my game, because that is classic.

Okay, so I currently have this:

I am not gonna double post again!!
Lab Assistant
#2817 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 4:51 AM
I haven't been on this thread since I think 2013 or 14. Lol. Brings back memories.

What is a beginner to do? My Website My TOT My Forum My website
Test Subject
#2818 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 12:30 AM
You are most right, Th Flying Raccoon,
Quote:
"With this challenge it's definitely better to not think too much about how long it's going to take you to finish it. XD"

I started a new job in the month of June, but I finally finished with my first round. My ToT site is now updated.
Hope everyone enjoys. Nothing really special, farming, fishing, woohoo, and Plant Sims. My first Plant Sims in game ever. That I am happy about.

Hope everyone enjoys,
:lovestruc

Check out my Test of Time: 50,000 Sim B.C. story at Nesxya's Moodlets
Field Researcher
#2819 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 10:30 PM
Well, that's quite a lot of plantsims you've got, @nesxya. And I love your little SimCity Herald articles. ^_^

Instructor
#2820 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 12:26 PM
Hi everyone! Long time no-see, how I've missed this thread and this challenge. I've had to restart once more (hopefully it sticks this time).

I'm continuing to use my system of hunting using a combination of fishing and hiking. I'm also planning on doing a loose kind of technological advancement. I'll be adding in new features when I feel my sims have earned a feature. For example my founders all where straight fur clothing, the second generation sims will have access to some leather and generation three will have access to cloth clothes (assuming I get gardens up and running by then). I'm most of the way through the second round at the moment. I've started making my sims have babies after only two days so siblings will be close together in age.

If anyone's interested there are a few pictures of my sims and hood, as of the end of round 1, beneath the cut.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Field Researcher
#2821 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 10:59 PM
Welcome back, lbsgirl. Your lots and sims look lovely. Do you have any plans to blog again this time round?

Also it's really nice to see more people around again. ^o^

Inventor
#2822 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 6:23 AM
lbsgirl, what tents are you using? They look much more authentic for Neandersims to use than the tents that come with the game. ~VP

Instructor
#2823 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 10:34 AM
What do you think of my families? (in my previous post)
Instructor
#2824 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 5:27 AM Last edited by lbsgirl24 : 23rd Jul 2016 at 3:13 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by TheFlyingRaccoon
Welcome back, lbsgirl. Your lots and sims look lovely. Do you have any plans to blog again this time round?

Also it's really nice to see more people around again. ^o^

Thanks Funnily enough with blogging I was planning on starting one a few rounds in when everything was less monotonous.Of course as soon as I decide that my game brings out drama with a vengeance. I will definitely be blogging, but pictures of the first few rounds will be pretty scarce. I'll be updating on the same blog.

Quote: Originally posted by VioletPadfoot
lbsgirl, what tents are you using? They look much more authentic for Neandersims to use than the tents that come with the game. ~VP

I use a number of different tents. The ones that function as tents are from this set. I also have http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...2519&hilit=tent in the smaller size on the lots at the moment. The second one doesn't function as a tent so I made an invisible room and roof to keep the weather out.

These deco tents and yurts look really realistic -- I really want to introduce them to my game -- but they're a bit big for the lots I'm using: http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...2517&hilit=tent http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...2510&hilit=tent http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...2754&hilit=yurt.

@LiliLiliLili
Honestly I'm impressed by how many sims you managed to keep alive. O.O I'm only in the third round and I have two single parent families with one surviving child each but then my approach to this challenge is pretty ruthless XD

If you're getting bored of the Neanderthal era you could always shorten it. From memory a lot of people were cutting down some of the later eras, for example I already play a medieval hood on the side and while I love it I don't think I'll be playing through three generations of Dark Ages and then four generations of Renaissance in this hood as well. You could always slowly unlock more features in the Neanderthal era to keep things interesting. For example generation one might be using a pee anywhere hack to use the bushes as a bathroom but generation two might have access to chamber pots and outhouses. Most of us are chopping and changing the eras a bit so I'm sure no-one will hold it against you if you play the challenge in a way that is more suited to your playstyle

I would say the best option with prisons is to make them on a residential lot and then just move sims in. I have never gotten to the point of needing a prison in this challenge but in some of my other hoods I keep a cell in the basement of my noble keeps/guardhouses and keep criminals in there. I don't think I've ever needed more than one cell, so in my game an entire prison would be overkill. There's some great hacks to make a prison more realistic on simlogical. I've never used most of them but the prisoner token is great for keeping sims who are meant to be locked up from visiting other lots.

When it comes to moving out younger siblings if you don't have a teen pregnancy hack or anything you'll have to wait until they're adults to move kids out. Either of the methods you described should work, it's just a case of what works better for you.

I'm loving the names of your sims and the way you seem to be using similar colours of clothing for each family, it must make it easier to keep track.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Inventor
#2825 Old 22nd Jul 2016 at 4:39 AM Last edited by VioletPadfoot : 22nd Jul 2016 at 4:58 AM.
thanks lbsgirl. FYI though, you might want to fix the link to the usable tents. When I clicked it, it was missing part of the address. It was only because I'm a download-aholic that I realized it was on this site and was able to add the "modthesims" part into the address bar and get to the page. and somehow, I managed to download those recolors, but neglected to get Kate's mesh off of Parsimonious... How I do not know as I usually make sure I have the original mesh before I click to download the recolors. Mysteries of the world I guess. I'm off to my ToT, where my plantsims have just developed a way for me to work them off into their own kingdom/sect/whatever, and did so with little input from me, other than my usual play. I'll share details if anyone wants them. Obviously they'll come out in a future update, but not until at least Round 7's update, which is god knows how long away, since I'm currently halfway through round six, or will be once I play two more households. ~VP

Edit to Whine: I want the tents you linked by sunni, but my computer and Box just don't get along. I tried a different browser, hoping that was my issue but no luck. It just sucks because they'd have made perfect additions to my new plantsim storyline with some invisible walls and whatnot. I was able to get the yurts though, so I can use those. ~VP

Page 113 of 128