Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 2:23 AM
Default World Adventures: The WORST EP?
I hear a lot of people say that WA is the worst EP for TS3, but I was just wondering why? I think it seems pretty cool being in a whole open exotic world and going on adventures...
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 2:41 AM
I definitely don't think that WA is a bad or even the worst EP. Actually, I think it's one of the best ones with Late Night and Pets. I love that my simmies can go and have a vacation in a foreign country. I also love all those very nice items - mostly in buydebug - that I can use while creating my world. And, ignoring a minor bug or two, the Ep runs just fine for me. I really wouldn't want to play without it.
Eminence Grise
#3 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 2:41 AM
The main problem with it IMO is that the tombs don't reset as long as you're playing the same household/save. That makes large parts of it kinda pointless for legacy-type players. From the player's point of view, even if you do switch households and thus get a new set of tombs every so often, since the PLAYER has seen everything and solved the puzzles, you can kinda run out of content... in a way which isn't typical for the Sims.

The other main objection is that it's too "questy", i.e. directed; you can't just travel and hang out, to increase your visa level to where you can buy a vacation home, you have to do adventures. A lot of simmers play the sims because they don't like that type of gameplay, which I understand even though I am not one of them

It is actually one of MY favorite EPs... it's a nice change of pace for my sims, and for sim families that it's suited to, I have no problem cheating and bypassing the adventures and just letting them build up a nice vacation home to hang out in, skill off the clock and so on.

It's especially good now that Twallan's traveller mod is released. With that, you can take your sims to ANY world as a vacation world. That pretty much solves all the issues with the concept, I think
Scholar
#4 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 3:03 AM
For me, it's way too glitchy. And that's sad comparing I can't play half of the Ambitions careers. I can't get into France AT ALL, and while I can do the first few tombs in China and Egypt, I get glitches if I try more. I would like it more if it worked more for me. I do love the added skills and items from the EP, definitely not worth the money I bought it for, but still worthwhile in that I can download a lot more CC and I do like the items (buydebug is awesome!)
Banned
#5 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 3:14 AM
Is seems as half-assed attempt to merge the sims with an adventure game.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 10:06 AM
Someone clearly didn't pick up the bug-ridden glorified SP that was Generations ...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 11:23 AM
WA has two flaws.
1. What Srikandi said about the tombs not resetting, now you basically have to do it manually by replacing the tombs, if you want multiple Sims to do quests.
2. EA should have given us an option to travel anywhere, not just three locations. For this problem I have only one thing to say, Thank God for Twallan and his travelling mod! The next time any of my Sims want to travel, I'm sending them to NY.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed WA. I give EA credit for making it possible to dig for artefacts without having to do do quests, because it suits my play-style more to have an archaeology sim who travels and digs than the adventure part. Even though that's fun too.
Alchemist
#8 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
1. What Srikandi said about the tombs not resetting, now you basically have to do it manually by replacing the tombs, if you want multiple Sims to do quests.

Yes, that is true if you like to do those quests. The reason why I am not bothered by it is that once I have completed those quests, they don't really interest me anymore. My simmies concentrate more on just having a nice vacation.

But for those who love doing quests it can really be a thorn in side, I agree.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 4:00 PM
It's actually my favorite EP - it contains three beautiful worlds.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
Yes, that is true if you like to do those quests.

Yes, but who would want to do those same quests over and over again? For me, if a tomb is open, other sims can visit it, collect the gold coins and that's it. It's not like in real life the pyramids were discovered by every tourist who ever set foot in Egypt.
Alchemist
#11 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Yes, but who would want to do those same quests over and over again? For me, if a tomb is open, other sims can visit it, collect the gold coins and that's it. It's not like in real life the pyramids were discovered by every tourist who ever set foot in Egypt.

Yes, that's true. I guess it's one of the reasons I ignored the quests once they were accomplished the first time. EA should have given it a more thought.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 8:42 PM
I got bored with it pretty fast and I don't send my sims abroad anymore. I think a lot of people felt that way. I don't think it's a terrible EP but sometimes it would be nice just to send them away a bit like you had with Bon Voyage.
Test Subject
#13 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 12:16 AM
Very glitchy yeah but I wouldnt say it was a bad ep. I mean new gardening fruit and veg, new martial arts skill plus the added bonus of using logic
Theorist
#14 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 12:20 AM
I remember when it was released people thought it was absolutely packed with new stuff. I think it's still one of the top EPs in terms of amount of gameplay added. The problem is that it hardly adds anything beyond traveling so if you don't do that then it seems like a waste.

Hi I'm Paul!
Scholar
#15 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Element Leaf
Someone clearly didn't pick up the bug-ridden glorified SP that was Generations ...
Completely true, but at least memories (if annoying as heck without mods), baby stroller, chemistry set, all the kids stuff, graduation, and other stuff works for me. Field trips are glitched, day care isn't too glitched but enough problems to make it annoying, and I'm sure there's other things too. But for me, to have a whole WORLD not work for me is a big no-no! And the lag and glitches the other worlds cause, while durable for a short period of time...it's still not fun. At least I have fun ghost hunting, even if I can't play fire fighter or investigator (the two main glitched careers for me, though I haven't try the interior decorator one).
Mad Poster
#16 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 4:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hannahmh87
I got bored with it pretty fast and I don't send my sims abroad anymore. I think a lot of people felt that way. I don't think it's a terrible EP but sometimes it would be nice just to send them away a bit like you had with Bon Voyage.

I've only played the adventures once, and my woman ended up old before I managed to get them all done. I played this lady when WA came out, and she died from old age shortly after LN. All the other travellings have been casual travels just for fun.

My own town is really tiny, so I modified Egypt and France to have clubs and bars. Or, if I sent there some campers, they would camp and fish for things you can't catch in the home world. I've also sent there collectors, due to the tiny size of my home world, collecting was not fun because I knew where all the spawners were.

When you think about BV, all the things that you could do abroad, you could do at the home world. The only exceptions I can come up with, are using hotels, the tours and collecting the memories.

And what JasonD88 said.

Quote: Originally posted by JasonD88
Very glitchy yeah but I wouldnt say it was a bad ep. I mean new gardening fruit and veg, new martial arts skill plus the added bonus of using logic

For the exception of the quests, all items can be used in any world. They are not travel specific.

The only draw-back in the whole modifying Egypt and France was that it's so limited what you can do there modification wise without completely destroying the look of the town. There was very little free space to expand and add new lots unless you deleted the old. I didn't even like France, but it was the only city type we had. Now Twallan's mod will fix this issue, which is great.

If EA would have been smart, they would have built the worlds so that people would have sawn from the start that there is the option for leisure, as well as adventure. I think just adding hotels, would have done this, or adding a few none adventure specific things, like tanning, or or message table, or even just the possibility to add any world as a destination. But no, they pushed too much for the adventures, and if the player wants to do other things while travelling they need to make it happen on their own.

I was never a huge fan of BV. I loved some of the objects, but the travelling part was dull. After visiting the destinations for the first time, I pretty much forgot about them. Only sent a few Sims after that for a short vacation, lasting a one nigh because it was so repetitive. I would defiantly put WA in the top three of my favourite EP's, because even thou I had to make the worlds fun for none adventure Sims, I've still really enjoyed the travelling part. My guess is that the open world and the scenery is what makes it so fun.
Instructor
#17 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 3:08 PM
I wouldn't say it's the worst - I think it's my least favourite though. The only things I like about it really are the hidden traits, new skills and the objects. I love anything Asian themed, so I loved the Asian-style furniture that came with this EP, and the hidden 'Asian trait' as sims can use chopsticks with that trait . I would've preferred it if it was more like Bon-Voyage though, as I'm not really into the whole quest type game-play.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 5:11 PM
I was never a huge fan of BV. I loved some of the objects, but the travelling part was dull. After visiting the destinations for the first time, I pretty much forgot about them. Only sent a few Sims after that for a short vacation, lasting a one nigh because it was so repetitive. I would defiantly put WA in the top three of my favourite EP's, because even thou I had to make the worlds fun for none adventure Sims, I've still really enjoyed the travelling part. My guess is that the open world and the scenery is what makes it so fun.

I didn't like the travelling part of BV much either. But I did like the fact that you could use within the main hood all the objects that came with that EP. And the fact is there were quite a lot of new interractive objects that helped to create a realistic vacation experience. In WA you get very few interractive objects and none of them is actually aimed at a vacation experience. If you disregard the tombs there's really not much left to do. So, where in BV you had fun lots with pirate ship, sunbathing, tea tables, log rolling, axe throwing, zen gardens, food stands, massage tables, in WA you get tombs and there's nothing fun about those.
Alchemist
#19 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 8:17 PM
So, where in BV you had fun lots with pirate ship, sunbathing, tea tables, log rolling, axe throwing, zen gardens, food stands, massage tables, in WA you get tombs and there's nothing fun about those.

Oh, now you made me miss all those nice things even more. How I wish WA was more or exactly like Bon Voyage. Almost makes me want to install Sims 2 again... almost.
Inventor
#20 Old 30th Nov 2011 at 2:52 AM
Traveller mod is nice for those that like it, or you can export your dynasty to a fresh profile and play it like its a new game. You just search User and create a new hardware profile on your computer and load the dynasty you want, or create a new tomb raider. Some find that the best way for them to play since opening the tombs the first time is their objective, or testing what traits are best. I feel that once done should be done and once the adventure is over the Sims shouldnt bother with Visa restrictions. Its not my favorite , Fast Lane is but its a close second. I know Fast Lane is a stuff pack but I like it a lot.

Some people have a Guardian Angel, you know a little guy sitting on your shoulder that tells you right from wrong, but mine is an Idiot.
Eminence Grise
#21 Old 30th Nov 2011 at 3:12 AM
If EA would have been smart, they would have built the worlds so that people would have sawn from the start that there is the option for leisure, as well as adventure. I think just adding hotels, would have done this, or adding a few none adventure specific things, like tanning, or or message table, or even just the possibility to add any world as a destination. But no, they pushed too much for the adventures, and if the player wants to do other things while travelling they need to make it happen on their own.

The biggest obstacle to leisure travel is the visa requirement to buy a vacation home, IMO :/ And tying visa levels to adventures.

Mod THAT out of existence (or cheat your sims to a level 3 visa) and it's fine
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#22 Old 30th Nov 2011 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
The main problem with it IMO is that the tombs don't reset as long as you're playing the same household/save. That makes large parts of it kinda pointless for legacy-type players.
Actually, the tombs never reset, even if you switch households. Although treasure spawners will respawn loot for every visit, the tomb will no longer be in its virgin state and things that you have disturbed will remain disturbed and many things will remain permanently frobnicated.

HOWEVER, AwesomeMod presently has an experimental solution which allows you to wipe Foreignia, causing it to be regenerated from scratch.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#23 Old 30th Nov 2011 at 4:40 AM
So, where in BV you had fun lots with pirate ship, sunbathing, tea tables, log rolling, axe throwing, zen gardens, food stands, massage tables, in WA you get tombs and there's nothing fun about those.
Well, the pirate ship returned in Barnacle Bay, and sunbathing is really just a sim lying there doing nothing while slowly contracting skin cancer, which can be trivially done with what we already have. Food stores still exist.

As for tombs not having anything fun, that's debatable. In BV, none of the things you mentioned above really DO anything. In WA, you can use tomb stuff to set people on fire, and unlike in TS2 where people on fire merely twirl in place and shriek, in TS3, they run around flailing their arms with their asses on fire! Improvement!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 30th Nov 2011 at 10:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Well, the pirate ship returned in Barnacle Bay, and sunbathing is really just a sim lying there doing nothing while slowly contracting skin cancer, which can be trivially done with what we already have. Food stores still exist.

As for tombs not having anything fun, that's debatable. In BV, none of the things you mentioned above really DO anything. In WA, you can use tomb stuff to set people on fire, and unlike in TS2 where people on fire merely twirl in place and shriek, in TS3, they run around flailing their arms with their asses on fire! Improvement!

The pirate ship in Barnacle Bay is a restaurant venue and nothing more if I remember correctly, unlike the one in BV where you could climb the mast, take the helm, practice fencing, jump off from and search the captain's cabin for treasures and meet the pirate ghost. As for sunbathing, I agree on the skin cancer thing, but this is the sims, and they can always sunbathe early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid skin damage. Also, I don't like to set my sims on fire, but if I needed to kill one off I'd rather not burn the whole building in the process because the sim was running around with their ass in flames.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#25 Old 30th Nov 2011 at 6:15 PM
I would rate WA as one of the best EPs, with three great worlds and items such as the fog emitter.

Generations is the worst, not even a new world!
Page 1 of 3