Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 11:12 PM
Default Eek! Whoops!
I was building a new dorm and I wanted to test it out with some maxis sims I wasn't using, but when I went to move them out of their current house I accidentally put the lot (with all the sims) inside the lot bin. I made a backup with SimPE last night. Can I fix this mistake with that backup and how do I do that?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 11:18 PM
Oh dear. I don't think you can, actually. I think the SimPE back ups are faulty and have never worked. The way to create a backup is to just copy and paste the Neighbourhood (or The Sims 2) folder somewhere else, like on your desktop.

Hopefully someone else will be along who knows how the SimPE backup feature works!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 11:21 PM
It should have warned you when you started to do that you should have had to click a box saying 'continue anyway' so that is more than an oops. If the backup was before you moved the lot do use it. I never use simpe's backup as I have heard it isn't safe, I always do a manual backup so I'm not sure how you use simpe's backup or where that is. But if your backup is your hood, you cut the one from in game and replace it with your saved one.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 5:07 AM
Eh? SimPE's backup isn't safe? I've always used that.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 10:04 AM
There's a confusion about the backups with SimPE. The backup feature in the neighbourhood's sub-section on the tool bar works just fine. It's the edited copies of things, where SimPE used to save a new version of the file and renamed the old one .bak that is the problem. You can't use that. I had this discussion with Mootilda several times till she finally got what I was on about.

The proper back up procedure with SimPE basically does what we do manually - copies the folders.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#6 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 12:13 PM
Oh! Thank you for explaining, maxon So then it should be perfectly possible to just copy the backed up version over, assuming you know where it is.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 12:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
There's a confusion about the backups with SimPE. The backup feature in the neighbourhood's sub-section on the tool bar works just fine. It's the edited copies of things, where SimPE used to save a new version of the file and renamed the old one .bak that is the problem. You can't use that. I had this discussion with Mootilda several times till she finally got what I was on about.

The proper back up procedure with SimPE basically does what we do manually - copies the folders.

So when you open SimPE, Neighbourhood Manager, find the neighbourhood and click create backup and it makes a new backups folder is that the correct way?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 3:29 PM
Thanks for your help everyone.

I restored the SimPE backup and everything seems to be okay. The Bright household is back were its supposed to be and theirs and my sims memories are okay. I'll start making manual backups as well just to be on the safe side.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
So when you open SimPE, Neighbourhood Manager, find the neighbourhood and click create backup and it makes a new backups folder is that the correct way?

Yes, that's it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc