Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 7:26 PM
Default WCIF a Mod to use a correct Number of ingredients for the big dishes?
Hello there

I have noticed, that my Sims always use the same recipe with the same number of of ingredients, no matter if I cook a single dish or a dish for 4 or 6 people.
That seriously irritates me!

If I cook a dish for 4 people, it should take 4 times the ingredients - with 6 people 6 times the ingredients, not still just 1 bla and 1 blub. That is just plain wrong. If I do more gardening because I have more people in the house I actually want to USE the stuff and not just change the number of dishes I make with no according reduction (is that word right? O.o) of my supplies.

Is there any mod there, that takes care of this irritating and rediculous bug? I glady buy more ingredients and plant or fish more if i just use the right amount of stuff cooking.

Seewolf
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 8:23 PM
I'm not entirely sure that this mod (Cinderellimouse's Cooking Overhaul) does exactly what you want (as far as I can tell it doesn't necessarily change how much produce is used in a recipe, only that the recipes are more challenging), however, it does increase the amount of effort a sim would have to go through to cook a larger meal, which might be similar to what you are trying to achieve. That said, it might be possible to (for your own personal use) modify the Cooking Overhaul files to use an increased number of food objects in the recipes files. I'm not entirely sure how to do that, but I would assume it is possible with a little tweaking of the mod files (again for personal use only unless given permission from Cinderellimouse). Or possibly you could look into the game XML(?) (maybe it would be more of a script mod? I haven't looked at Sims 3 code in a while) and tweak them. I don't know if Cinderellimouse takes requests for mod "flavors", but if they do you might be able to request a version of their mod that includes using more produce than it already does (again, only if they do take mod requests). It might also be useful to check out the "Compatible Mods" section to see if anything there has the functionality you were hoping for (or adds that to the game if used with the Cooking Overhaul mod). Again, there might not be, but the other mods might add a more difficulty to the cooking aspect of the game and might have a similar effect for what you are looking for.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 10:16 PM
Hi, bamrd It doesn't.

I have this mod as well as icemunmuns mods.
Simsmatthew 'Unused EA Meshes as Custom Food Mod' and
christmas fear 'Food and Cooking tweaks'.

All of them don't multiply the amount of ingredients used with the number of 'servings' used in big Dishes.

I have pretty much zero knowlegde about modding. And the 'pretty much' sums up to changing one line in a... resource I guess... in order to turn a mere deco-objekt into a container - thanks to a nice how to at treeags mod-description. XD

I am sure, tweeking is possible, but I wonder if it is possible for me *grin*
Cinderellimouse is buisy with her sims4 stuff. She won't have time to mess with her mods anytime soon - she told me so, since i asked her about another matter concerning that cooking overhaul mod of hers.

I see if I find the compatible mod section. Thank you so far
Anty Edith: I tried to find that mod section you're talking about, but I seriously can't find it. Would you give me a link (*cough*for stupid little newbies?*cough*) *g*
Test Subject
#5 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 3:50 AM Last edited by bamrd : 18th Jun 2016 at 9:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Seewolf
Hi, bamrd It doesn't

Anty Edith: I tried to find that mod section you're talking about, but I seriously can't find it. Would you give me a link (*cough*for stupid little newbies?*cough*) *g*

I thought it might be a long shot, sorry.

I meant (and sorry for not being clearer here) that on Cinderellimouse's mod she has links to mods that are compatible with her mod that might have added functionality that may add more difficulty to cooking interactions. It, too, is a long shot since Cinderelli's mod doesn't have that particular interaction. I know that at one point Ani_ was modding certain cooking interactions to cost more, but that was a few years ago and I'm not sure they're modding for Sims 3 anymore (I think they retired, but my memory is foggy).

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I realize I only know mods that subtlely modifies dishes or change the cost/time to create a dish. If I remember correctly, though, Cooking Overhaul does change how much of one produce item is used in a single dish, so it is theoretically possible to change how many produce items are used at one time. I'm just not sure how possible it is to change all dishes dependent on the size of a dish. You'd have to find someone more in-tune with Sims 3 modding than I am to know for sure.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 10:26 AM
Hmm If thats so, I can ask cinderellimouse herself, what can be done about it.
Like I said, I asked her once about a different matter, so I didn't even thought about asking her about that. I will see, what can be done

Thank you a lot - and don't worry. No harm done. All in all I now know more than before
So I will see, what is possible. Perhabs she herself knows of a mod to do this - or knows how it can be done.
We'll see *smile*
Alchemist
#7 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 6:59 PM
While this should be in WCIF forum, I totally agree with you. This is my pet peeve since the first day I played TS3. The best cooking mod out there to my knowledge (and in my opinion ) is made by icarus_allsorts here and here. But even with his mods, it wouldn't solve this annoyance.

Considering his mods are already complex to begin with, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be very difficult if he had to take a request to consider this annoyance. I wouldn't dare requesting him this because I thought it would be too much work for him.

Just call me Nikel
Mad Poster
#8 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 8:17 PM
Nice guy that he is though, icarus would be the best one I could think of suited to explain why such a mod has never been developed. There may be a barrier there that he and others considering such a modification have never been able to work through, such as the game never under any circumstances ever being able to accept more than three single ingredients for one recipe.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 9:16 PM
O.o Is that so...
I contacted cinderellimouse and she said, she doesn't think her mod has anything that would allow something like that. But since her mods needs a workover and improvement at some point, she considers looking into different things - I guess that will be at some point another thing to ad to her to check list. Of course all that is _after_ her sims4 stuff is finished. Still she allows me and others to tinker with this mod, since its not 'hers' anyway and she thinks that improvement and different flavors should be shared
I'll see, what other info I can gather
*cough* no I haven't yet looked properly into mod-making and xml-bla... got somewhat caught in something other interesting, that should have been a 'de-smoking-brain'-measurment between learning sessions of xml-stuff. Smoking brain because of major confusement.. *cough* well I'm hooked line and sinker, so yeah. I hope to truly start trying out xml stuff tomorrow. Today is still Inertial D (anime) on my plate. I should choose stuff, that isn't so catching... Damn cliffhangers.
My apologies here.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 5:44 AM
My mod for more food servings doesn't have any tweakable ingredients values in it. You might have to go through and edit every ingredient to make that sort of a mod work, but I don't think that there is a tunable for 'how many ingredients per dish', so this might be a more advanced mod project. It may be harder than simple XML tuning.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 8:29 AM
Hmm... Harder you say - and thank you for your reply, christmas fear. I thought there might be a lot more to it than you already did with your mod
Since it might be advanced, it certainly is completely out of whatever I might dream to do. *sigh* I just hope it doesn't amount to a 'coremod'.
Reminds me, I still need to learn, what defines a coremod so I know what exactly to put into Overrides in CCMagic... *sigh* So much to do... Oh well.
One step after the other...
In the Arena
retired moderator
#12 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 9:31 AM
Would such calculations just involve the active household being played? Is the portion sizing to be reflected in just the Household Simoleons, and/or Cooking Skills, and/or Cooking Time, etc etc?

I believe this is the kind of decisions that fall under the "game design" and "load balancing" part of programming. How much realism is justified if the gamer is expecting such features (that involve unnecessary calculations, IMHO) vs the game running smoothly in the lowest spec'd hardware available back in 2009?

Are you really wanting such realism injected in the game that already has known laggy-ness problems? How do you rate the realism value vs the game not exploding a laptop? Which would a Simmer value more?

Well, since this is posted in Discussion, I expect I can open a Dialog for discussing, versus if it is simply a WCIF thread...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 12:06 PM
Of course you can

I'm so new in actually talking in the forum instead of just oggling and drooling over Mods and fancy objects, that I still make mistakes in where to put what - let alone where to find what. So yeah, be my guest

You have a good point there. I never thought about the fact, that multiplying the ingredients-use according to the servings in meals might as well mean multiplying the 'payment' for ingredients not existing in your household - as in buying from fridge.
I don't do that - I have a mod especially for NOT buying stuff from the fridge, since I greatly dislike that feature - what you don't have you don't have - basta. But of course there might be others who think different.
So it might not only mean programming for multiplyed ingredients, but also cost of ingredients. That also means, if you don't have the ingredients or the money - will you be unable to cook many-servings-dishes or will the cost be added to your bill? Since I again tend to think: whats not there is not there, I sway to the: no go! side. But others might think: errr... how do I feed my Sims then? I think that is up to whatever the modder likes to do.

As for the time needed to cook, the only reason I see here is realism for changing the time needed for cooking according to the number of dishes. But truthfully - an awfull lot of people - including me - are anoyed about how much time a lot of things take - especially with lag in the game. I don't need to spend 4-12 times the time of waiting until the cooking is finished. If i want that - including the exakt use of ingredients, I cook 4-12 single dishes, which I don't - they day would half over.
Now I also know, that real cooks - especially highend-cooks know how to cook FAST. Meaning, they really don't need much time even for food for lots of people. That is my rationalism and realistic enought explanation why I actually dl a mod, that shortens my cooking time.*g*
But than again that would also make a great point for skill-related cooking time. As in 1/3 of time shortend for every 3 points? But than that would bite again with that other cooking mod I have. which was it? cooking tweeks from christmas fear? I think yeah. One conflict gone, another won - errr... no thank you. So from my standpoint - only if they make it play nice-nice with the major cooking mods going around like those of cinderellimouse, icemunmun, christmas fear and... err.. *thinks* icarusallsorts too, if I remember correctly. Of course there is no one to say, there can't be different flavors of the mod. I would likely dl the complete package with all those specs and hope to run my game with it.

As for active household or inactivs too - err.. seriously, I have so far never bothered with inactiv households, since i usually play only One family and only for a shortwhile others, if i need to set up some spouses. Considering Reality, it would be sweet, if all households would be affected. Considering gamelag - I have no Idea, if that would kill the gameplay and make any lag happen or if already there in the first place, worse.

Now I have played with considerable lag in my game - it only went away when I made a new game or reinstalled it. I only learned recently, that you can actually lessen the lag considerably, if you merge your packages and stuff most stuff into ccm - which I also came to know squeaking-new recently to the point, that I have yet to start my game with ccm and go all woohoooyeaaaah! about it. I also learned about 4 to 5 days ago, that you can make the packages take in more kb, not just 200, but 2000 as well as that you can make your game use more RAM. I also got a new graphiccard because my old one wasn't up to some ep. So yeah I know what it means to get enough lag to want to throw your damned pc out of the window. And I have really high hopes about all the stuff I made to lessen the lag. And if it works - hell yeah than I WANT THAT MOD! Its ok if my game can only handle my aktiv household with that certain dishes mod. It would be great, if it can handle other households too. I don't need lenghened (that written right?) cooking time. But it would be a nice idea.
And seriously? If people - including me here - have a pc, laptop whatever, that can't handle that... to bad. It's not like your game won't work without that mod. You are free to NOT download it. So am I And since I want such realism in my game already known for laggyness-problems - I download it gleefully, grinning like an idiot, and try it out. And delete it, secretly crying into my cat Kelly's fur, if my game/PC/whatever says HELL NO! *grins*

Other than that I have no Idea of game design or load balancing All I know is: If I want It and I can have it and it works: great! Anybody who don't want it: well... be happy and on your way *grin* and those that want but can't: so sorry for you. perhabs you can tweek it. As in settings to turn certain calculations completely off.

As for laptops... Oo... I only played ultima online on a laptop for a few minutes at a time, when I was on holiday for 3 weeks and couldnt find a single soul to take care of my pixel-animals. I would never try to play something like sims3 on laptop. Seriously it would kill the poor thing. Again here - if your pc can't handle it - so sorry to hear so. So far - do I wan't more realism in Sims3? HELL YEAH! Give me growing children! Give me aging sims! Give me people who can grow fat or as muscled as a Karateka!!! Oh wait, I have that already XD Muahahaha - and yeah I'm totally thrilled about exactly those mods I found _just two weeks ago!!!!_

You see - I'm a realism loving idiot Unhealable and to top it of totally corrupted with medieval-mania XD And I die happily with it *grin*

So far, Seewolf
Mad Poster
#14 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Seewolf
Hmm... Harder you say - and thank you for your reply, christmas fear. I thought there might be a lot more to it than you already did with your mod
Since it might be advanced, it certainly is completely out of whatever I might dream to do. *sigh* I just hope it doesn't amount to a 'coremod'.
Reminds me, I still need to learn, what defines a coremod so I know what exactly to put into Overrides in CCMagic... *sigh* So much to do... Oh well.
One step after the other...

You're welcome, sorry I don't have more to contribute. I could take a look in the ingredients xmls, just to see if there's anything that might help.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 2:39 PM
That would be great Thanks a lot :D

I for once will check out if ccm does, what it should do, have a look at Praaven (God bless the person, who made that world!!!) and see, If I learn more about xml and tweeking mods Wish me luck for computerlanguage and lines of seemingly weird nonintelligent bla scares the hell out of me since... I think 6th grade in school. God that is WAY back. Like 1991 or something. Geez.... really time to make some sense out of >blablaandblabla/< and whatever and not be afraid, that it crush my pc. Well at least it won't be like accidently opening BIOS and thinking 'OHMYGOD!SOMEBODYSAVEME!', hu? *G*
He, the world of modding fascinates me, knowing I can make my sims do something. At the very least - even if I happen to find out, that modding is not for me - i still can appreciate the work of others in a way they deserve
So off to see and learn
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 8:47 PM
Answers from icarus_allsorts:

That's only possible via a script mod since the game itself is scripted to use up the same number of ingredients no matter the size of the serving. From what I've seen in the game's code though, there does seem to be some redundant leftover code to suggest that the programmers did consider implementing this feature, but I assume they've scrapped scrapped it in favor of simplicity.

While making the Cook With Any Ingredient mod I did consider letting the player choose as many ingredient as they want, but decided in the end to just keep it to the game's default maximum of 3. The main reason being that the way the game calculates a cooked dish's eventual quality is by a point system essentially, with factors like the sim's skill and the recipe difficulty etc contributing points. How ingredients factor in is that every ingredient used in the dish will contribute a positive number of points depending on its quality, so naturally the more ingredients used in the dish the more points it racks up and the higher the eventual quality of the meal is (which is why recipes that require more ingredients will tend to turn out with a better quality than a recipe that only requires one). So in theory a sim could make a perfect meal simply by tossing in a good amount of ingredients regardless of their quality and all other factors. The mod already does recalculate the meal quality in cases when the player chooses different ingredients than what are usually required so it is possible to have it scale down the quality based on how many ingredients are selected by the player, but like the original developers I ended up going down the simpler route since I didn't want to overcomplicate the calculations with things likehaving to check multiplicities of ingredients etc.

Me:
Seems very complicated indeed. Good heavens.

Say, since it seems VERY complicated - would it be easier to simply say: Cook me severel single dishes at once? I mean you can as well make a bunch of precious stones into a bunch of jewels + jeweldust.

Could that be easier to make? It still has to calculate, but it could calkulate one after the other while using up ingredients. would also be something like this mod, were you use up alchemy ingredients for a certain potion until your out of ingredients or simply interrupt the action.

icarus_allsorts:
Err... if it bothers you that much, why not direct sims to cook multiple individual servings as you've said? Okay, the fact that it would be incredibly time consuming is reason enough not to do so I know.

Honestly speaking having a script mod with the sole purpose is uses up multiples of ingredients when cooking group servings isn't too complicated. I was mostly talking about why I would not implement it into my Cook With Any Ingredient mod since it would overcomplicate the quality recalculation feature of that mod that happens when players choose ingredients outside of the the original recipe requirements. Personally I'm not too keen on taking up the project since it would be yet another cooking mod that I'd have to make sure not conflict with the Cook With Any Ingredient mod and ani's No Fridge Shopping mod, at least the latest version being maintained right now at NRaas. What I could possibly do is implement it into the No Fridge Shopping mod, if you didn't mind the mod's main focus of stopping sims from cooking without all the required ingredients at hand. But what multiple of ingredients to use up would be reasonable/realistic I wonder, considering that the default number of servings in a group serving is 8 (though this itself is tunable with mods), using one for each serving seems a bit overkill, no?

Me: *sigh* Yeah it would be overkill.
Especially if I were to loose the 'no buying from fridge' thing - something, that I as well greatly appreciate. So yeah, I guess I gota live with it and make single dishes the usual way if I want to use up ingredients. Hail to the classic 'Wife' *G* Oh well, she still has enough time to make career of some sort. I think I have somewhere a cooking mod with timeshortening feature. Gota look into that one again
Still thank you for explaining the prozess as of why it is so complicated. I understand now, why noone has really tackled that one yet - you likely came the closest to that with your mod And after making so many ccoking mods I as well can understand, that you say 'enough of that cooking' *G* There are still so many other things there to tackle and tweek :D

icarus_allsorts:
If you are already using ani's No Fridge Shopping mod (the latest version is on the NRaas site, not here on MTS), I can try implementing using up multiples of ingredient as an extra feature to that mod if you want. If you want to quote my answers on the forum, go ahead

My thoughts: Icarus_allsorts should be holyfied *smile* A wonderfull person and very knowledgeable Well I told her/him (I think its a her?) not to do it, if it puts to much of a strain on her - after looking into cinderellis cooking overhaul mod in order to change a few lines for 'combining with another mod' I am aware, that making a mod takes a LOT OF TIME and even more typing. So yeah... please not to much strain on your fingers, dear . In case you look into this thread. I can get by
Alchemist
#17 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 5:29 PM
That's very good to know! Icarus_allsorts is one of my most favorite modders. He's very knowledgeable and always considers when someone gives him a suggestion. He even responded your query with detailed answers... This is a precious information to me, so thanks for sharing.

ETA: Okay, I really don't know if icarus_allsorts is a he or she, but I only used "he" as a simplification.

Just call me Nikel