Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 1:20 PM
The Butler Drank It
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, I'm sure you did, but I'm going to post it anyway.

The GD butler keeps quaffing all my drinks. All of them. I mean he is a bottomless pit of booze. He drinks all the nectar, AND all the mixology drinks! If they're there, out in the open, he downs them.

This is a problem because: My sim's a vampire who is also seriously effing rich, and as such requires plasma. Drawing blood from a person is barbaric (unless it's during erotic practice), eating raw plasma fruit is unelegant, and drinking from a carton with a straw? No. I make the 6 part Life Fruit 3 part Flame Fruit and 1 part Plasma Fruit nectar, and it works marvelously. I even called the nectar "Gods Blood", because I'm vain and classy like that. Now my vampire sim has his sutainance in the form of plasmic life-prolonging nectar that is also on fire.

Only the butler keeps guzzling all the glasses! My sim has ONE glass, and the butler just down the other three! AND gets sick after! You'd think, y'know, PAVLOV'S DOGS. You drink this stuff, you get sick, you don't drink this stuff, you don't get sick.

I don't know where else to put this, I browsed the rest of the forums. Someone out there hear my plea, I want the butler to stop drinking. I mean nectar AND mixology drinks, the butler does not touch those unless my sim personally offers it to him.

Can this be done? I would be extremely appreciative.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 1:47 PM
Yes! I just started playing with a butler and noticed this as well. I have 4 sims who need to skill up and one has mixology maxed so she makes skill gain drinks for them, but as soon as she sets them down, the butler finishes off all the glasses before my other sims can even get to the bar area. I had to make a separate room with a counter and no door to move the drink trays to and then I teleport my sims in there to have their drink, then teleport them out so they can continue skilling. It's really annoying, but it's the only way to keep the butler away from the drinks.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 1:59 PM
Does it happen with all butlers?
My sim had a maid which was lazy and gluttonous, so she fired her and hired a new one. Did you try this?
Alchemist
#4 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 2:08 PM

The butler has been drinking your stash since Sims 1.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 2:13 PM
Would the Exclusion door by Flyby work for you?

http://nene.modthesims.info/download.php?t=422449

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks very useful. I haven't had a problem with the Butler drinking yet. My problem is "neat" sims who line up to get a drink and instead wash the tray preventing anyone else from gettting a drink. Of course that's easier to fix if you watch their queue you can delete the action. It's not so with the butler, though.

@Polaris-sama, your "Gods Blood" recipe is great! I'm going to skill up my vampires and try it :lovestruc :D

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ed Newman
Does it happen with all butlers?
My sim had a maid which was lazy and gluttonous, so she fired her and hired a new one. Did you try this?

I have not, no. I like the guy, besides the fact he drinks any swill within a hundred wards like his very life depended on it.

I do not know if it's a trait. He has the "Party Animal" trait. Could that be causing the problem? Even so, there has to be some amendment to this... I would be deeply appreciative if someone directs me to a mod that makes butlers akin to camels in that they need no drink, alcoholic or otherwise...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 2:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NekoCat
Would the Exclusion door by Flyby work for you?

http://nene.modthesims.info/download.php?t=422449

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks very useful. I haven't had a problem with the Butler drinking yet. My problem is "neat" sims who line up to get a drink and instead wash the tray preventing anyone else from gettting a drink. Of course that's easier to fix if you watch their queue you can delete the action. It's not so with the butler, though.

@Polaris-sama, your "Gods Blood" recipe is great! I'm going to skill up my vampires and try it :lovestruc :D

Thank you for the useful link. I'm sure I'd wanted a mod like that sometime... It does indeed seem very practical.

I think it may do the job as a temporary I-want-to-drink-all-your-nectar-but-I-can't-go-through-this-door solution, however the issue remains with open-floor plans.

A more-or-less viable solution would be the allocation of Gods Blood Nectar into my sim's private den area into which only he can enter... Still though, my request to the fine modders of MTS remains.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 2:49 PM Last edited by Wintermute : 18th Nov 2010 at 3:06 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Polaris-sama
Drawing blood from a person is barbaric (unless it's during erotic practice), eating raw plasma fruit is unelegant, and drinking from a carton with a straw? No.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this way. I cringe every time I have a vampire drink from another Sim, but I also feel that it's not very dignified for a vampire to gain sustenance from drinking from a carton through a plastic straw (like a child drinking a Juicy Juice, for instance). Your nectar recipe is a really clever idea.

And all these reports of butlers swilling all the nectar/mixology drinks within a one-mile radius is effectively putting me off hiring them for any of my Sims. I never liked the idea of servitude, anyway--not in real life, and not in Sims.

"Make believe in magic, make believe in dreams
Make believe impossible, nothing as it seems
See, touch, taste, smell, hear, but never know if it's real"
--The Cure, "More Than This"
Instructor
#9 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 2:58 PM
Don't have the Sims 3 yet (maybe never), but read out of curiosity. Can't .... stop ... laughing--sorry for your troubles, but still, this made my morning!
Forum Resident
#10 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 3:10 PM
i, too, have butlers who care about none but their own drinking needs, and its the main reason i have made my partying sims fire them. which is too bad, cos other then that they are very useful in my game.

why oh why, EA, did you make butlers drink the drinks, instead of serve the drinks?? it makes no sense...
Instructor
#11 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 3:32 PM
EA make sense? You may be asking too much for this incarnation of the series. I have had a butler who drank more than worked. I fired him and got a female butler who reads instead of doing her job. While only two butlers don't make a good random sampling, I'm thinking butlers as a whole are basically useless.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Forum Resident
#12 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 3:38 PM
thats what confuses me. where they make so much sense at one point, they make so little sense at the other.
they can be SO clever, yet SO dumb.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 10:48 AM
My butlers quaff all the drinks, then go sit in the hot tub and eventually disappear altogether. Those are some powerful party drinks indeed.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 22nd Nov 2010 at 6:20 AM
My butler drinks the drinks but hired a maid when I was viewing another household. lol
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 3:07 PM
My maid started acting strange after I installed Late Night.

It begun with her running around the house, a few times, proceeding with saying "I had a great time, we should do this again." then billing me 125 simoleons and get out of there.

After a few sim weeks, she started going to work, pee, clean the toilet then bill me 125 simoleons, and then leave.

Now she's practically moved in with my family. I mean sure enough they've befriended her, and they're all good friends, but, yeaah. She's still billing us.
After she's done so, she proceeds with gobbling up all the food in the fridge and occupying the little boys bed.
Banned
#16 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 4:13 PM
Is it wrong that when I saw the subject header for this thread, I immediately thought Drano and not booze? :S
Field Researcher
#17 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 8:06 PM
My maid also behaved strangely, I had to fire 2 maids until I got one semi acceptable one. The earlier ones just behaved like rude guests and said "I have to go now!" after bumming around.. The last one wasn't as bad.

Now I have a butler but she is not doing the garden that I wish she would do... I hoped that she would do the garden. Is this correct behavior and maybe there's a hack for butler to do gardening?

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 2:20 AM
Butlers will only water a garden, which makes them useless if you have auto-sprinklers.

I had to boot my butler because of the drinking problem as well, I do the same thing with the life flame plasma nectar mix. I could have put the booze in another room and locked him out, but doing that is more trouble than micro managing my neat sim to clean up the house.
Test Subject
#19 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 6:32 AM
Hm my butler also does this, at some point he started making his own basic drinks as well -.-
I never thought of cooking/mixing plasma fruit before what an idea! Thanks!
Field Researcher
#20 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 11:44 AM
Oh my butler doesn't even water the garden.. :/

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 1:55 PM Last edited by Dojan5 : 25th Nov 2010 at 1:56 PM. Reason: fix'd weird typo
Hmm. So I got a butler.
He's acting kind of OK to be honest, but at first I had no clue it was a butler.

I see screenshots of butlers wearing formal suits and monocles and whatnot, mine's dressed very casually. I don't think it's due to a mod though...
He does his work when there's work to be done, with the exception of laundry, to be fair none of my maids have done laundry either so I wont complain.

He got in a relationship autonomously with the youngest son (NRaas mod ). It'll be very interesting to play this through, can't wait to see what happens O.o
I got kind of curious to see what would happen if the butler got pregnant, so I think I'll try that out.
Nyahahaha~
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 4:10 PM
Has anyone tried using Twallan's Master Controller to change the Butler's traits? Party Animal may indeed make the butler enjoy his drinks. What if one added the green thumb trait? Would he be more apt to garden? I did go into to MC's Edit-in-Cas and change my butler's clothing and get rid of the monocle. Since my world is in the southwestern US, I also gave him a Spanish name. I have not had any problems with him other than he hates to do the laundry.
Instructor
#23 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 5:04 PM
Drawing blood from a person is barbaric (unless it's during erotic practice), eating raw plasma fruit is unelegant, and drinking from a carton with a straw? No..

I also hate the stupid juice box sometimes I think EA hired fifth graders to come up with this stuff. maybe someone could make it look like a wine bottle insted that would be nice.

But on the topic of Butlers I think EA decided last minute to put them in game. there are far to many issues surrounding butlers. they Disappear, they show up when no one hires them, they drink like WANT alcohol poisoning, and rarely do any thing worth paying them for. they are more irritating than the singing that came with WA.

I think replacing their traits is a good start and if that doesn't work fire and rehire untill you find a butler who isn't intrested in nectar and mixed drinks.
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 26th Nov 2010 at 4:44 PM
I think EA has a very childish sense of humor. They probably thought a British-looking butler who drank constantly would be funny. Of course, it gets old very fast.
Alchemist
#25 Old 14th Feb 2011 at 6:01 AM
Someone out there hear my plea, I want the butler to stop drinking.

send him to rehab.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Page 1 of 2