Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 6:38 PM
Default Non Rabbithole school??
So i was thinking that someone could take a copy of a book and mod it so when your sim reads it, it says that your sim at school in the upper left hand corner. And Then you could build a school and put lots of those modded books in rooms. And when your sims read the books it adds to their grade. This could also be done for non rabbithole work places. For example, you could take a computer and edit it and when your sim does stuff on the computer, it would say that your sim is working. And you could make it so at 8:00 all children and teen sims in the town would go to one of those modded books. So do you get what im saying? Would this be possible? because if it was....that would be so awsome!!!! Or would this require too much base game coding?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 6:49 PM
Possible? Almost anything is possible. Easy, or doable by the vast majority of creators - even by the vast majority of modders? No, not even remotely.

Honestly, how is just watching a sim reading a book in a random room at a school - or watching a sim tapping at a computer any better than a rabbithole? It's just the same animations over and over. Doing stuff like breaks to fulfill motives and so forth wouldn't get any easier (traffic jams at the toilets as everyone needs to pee around the same time), and things like the "tones" like holding meetings or sucking up to the boss wouldn't really be all that doable (at least not easily).

Hell, as it is, many towns have difficulties with too many kids showing up to school at once, causing traffic jams at the entrance. Imagine the giant horrible routing pain in the ass once they get into school, all trying to go for the same book, desk, chair, whatever - and how much more lag it would add just so you can see a sim read a book.

It'd be nice if you could see real complex interaction inside rabbitholes, but I understand why they didn't do it, and with the limitations and difficulties involved, I don't see a mod happening for it any time soon (if ever).
Test Subject
#3 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 6:54 PM
Actually, the school part is a good idea. Simlogical had the same exact thing for The Sims 1 and The Sims 2. They both worked really well and it was very fun to play. However, I'm not sure if they have a version for The Sims 3. Since the neighborhood in the Sims 3 is significantly larger than the neighborhoods in the past, controlling that many kids might be difficult. Check Simlogical to see if they have what you're looking for: http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforum/index.php
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 7:00 PM
k thanks guys
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 12:13 PM
If you're looking for variety in schooling, try the nraas career mod. There are "specialty" schools to prepare your teen sims for future careers. There's also a home schooling option. It's nothing like what you describe, but it frees up a lot of time for your teen sim to focus on other things and doesn't require any rabbit hole.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 3:05 PM
I made a school and then put one of those rabbit hole rugs inside the school "reception" area. I just wonder if it's possible to prevent the sims from going home automatically afterwards. This is because there was an error with one of the sims, so I reset him and the rest of the school jumped off of the rug and started messing about in the school - it was really good! Like after school activities, lol.

Go suck an elf...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 3:21 PM
The simlogical school mods for Sims1 and 2 relied heavily on being able to materialise sims where you wanted them, make them "playable" and keep them on a lot till it was time to dematerialise them. This was made feasible because every time a sim visits a lot, it is a copy of that sim. What happens in that lot to the copy doesn't "break" anything a sim is doing on his original lot. A TS1 or 2 sim never leaves his own home - he just fades out so you can't see him.

The logistics of forcing a sim to come to your school and stay there when the game thinks he's meant to be doing something else somewhere else scare me!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
The logistics of forcing a sim to come to your school and stay there when the game thinks he's meant to be doing something else somewhere else scare me!

But when it comes to kids, if you don't have a school RB in your hood, there will not really be any other place for them to be. As long as they are fed and have a toilet. I've had un-playable kids hang around my towns RH rug school building until it's time for them to go home late at night.

I guess one way might be that when school starts, the kids are added to the school household, and when school ends, they are re-added to their original households.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#9 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Why would the game think that? Overly simplified: Make a controller object that is the "owner" of the kids' school career. It will call the kids to it and send them home at specific times. You'd need a bunch of new interactions. !Selectable sims would need a situation that forces the interactions on them.

I see nothing that would vialote the mechanics of the game. It'd be a lot of work, though. But doable.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 6:14 PM
Well my school mods *were* simple, and they could be because of the lot-based play. It's a more exacting task in Sims 3. I didn't say it was impossible, I said it scared me.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Eminence Grise
#11 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 10:18 PM
Going to school... is not about reading books, heh. Though it would save a lot of teachers a lot of trouble if it were

An active school mod should be either realistic or fun/interesting to make it worth playing, imo. I don't think you could make it worth the effort without implementing a classroom setting.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#12 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I don't think you could make it worth the effort without implementing a classroom setting.
Exactly. That's why it'd be so much work. Pushing sims around is ridiculously simple, but letting them act reasonable in a specific situation is not.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Field Researcher
#13 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 11:20 PM
I've been using Twallan's Careers Mod to allow kids to download homework off the computer and complete it at home, so they get "grades" that way, but I'd really love to be able to gather all the kids/teens on a lot once in awhile and have them do field trips. With Late Night, there's a way to create a "group" and go on an outing together, but as far as I can tell, children cannot be part of those groups. That could at least at some interest to homeschooling and give kids a way to meet each other and build friendships. Would that be easier to do modding-wise than making a controller object?