Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 3:47 PM
Maximums
Hi all!

I'm new to this site and wanted to see what the maximum number
of mods can you use in the game at once.
I have 14 mods,
is that too much?
can I add more?
a reply would be much liked.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 3:56 PM
I just reached 1,000... I think you're okay...

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 3:59 PM
@hotaru801

REALLY!!!!

whoa.

that's a relief

And that didn't slow down your game?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 4:04 PM
Sounds good hotaru801. I have thirty-six mods in my hack folder, thought that was alot. :giggle:

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by roiri100
@hotaru801

REALLY!!!!

whoa.

that's a relief

And that didn't slow down your game?

It slows down certain things... But only about 30 seconds to a minute... It loads... I'm happy because I know where to expect the lag...

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Eminence Grise
#6 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 11:30 PM
There's no preset maximum, and when you personally will start to see performance issues depends entirely on a) your hardware and b) what exactly is in those mods.

A given .package or .sims3pack file can hold anything form a single pattern to a world... so counting mod files is not a very good guide to the amount of CC you actually have And in fact combining your mods into a few large files is a good way to improve loading times. There's a tut on that here: http://club-crimsyn.dreamwidth.org/28336.html#cutid1
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 11:59 PM
Did I misread the OP? I thought they were talking about mods as in hacks. Shoot, my CC folder have 795 files and about 21 files in my skins folder.

I would do the combining files thing, but I switch out stuff too much. My save game only takes two minutes to load, so I don't worry too much about it.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Eminence Grise
#8 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 12:08 AM
Yeah, "mod" is ambiguous... for some people it means "gameplay hack" only, for others it's all custom content. However, since this site is "Mod The Sims" and the large majority of what it hosts is general CC, around here I tend to use "mod" in the more general sense. Not sure what the OP meant.

As for merging, Granthes is working on a custom launcher that will function as a CC manager and auto-merge packages in a way that's transparent to the player. So you manage the mods as individual items, and the launcher takes care of combining them. That should help a lot
Mad Poster
#9 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 12:11 AM
I have seen many simmers post about the custom launcher that is out now. I never went to the post to read about it, maybe it's time to check it out. Is the custom launcher Granthes working on now have a post to read about it? I will search for it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Instructor
#10 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I have seen many simmers post about the custom launcher that is out now. I never went to the post to read about it, maybe it's time to check it out. Is the custom launcher Granthes working on now have a post to read about it? I will search for it.

Thanks for the heads up.

You can find the post for the custom launcher here --> http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=408296

For information about the new and improved version currently in the works, you ca look here --> http://sims3.the-prof.net

codename: granthes -- Developer of Sims3/4 utilities
Now working on modding tools for the Sims 4 CAS Demo
Field Researcher
#11 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 2:51 AM
i have 7 or 8 mods in my folder. i used to have a lot more, but they were useless and were slowing down my game so i removed most of them.
THANK YOU, Granthes! i've been needing something like this for when i end up with far too many mods, which i know i inevitably will.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 11:24 AM
Most of the things in my package folder are those mods that are only a few hundred KB,
But I have a few cars that are around 4 MB.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 12:54 PM
As mentioned there is no limit to how many mods you can have, but the more you have, specially if they are xml tunings, then you just need to make sure they don't conflict. And the way xml mods conflict is that the one that gets loaded last, is the one that will work.

For example, I use the rule of six mod, and the mod that modifies the birthday cheering time modified the same xml file and it was the one that got loaded last, so my Sims got back to the default ages. Had to modify the rule of six package with the cheering values to get both to work.
Theorist
#14 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 1:13 PM
My total CC file (to lazy to check for mods only) is 678 items for a total of 2.4GB and there isn't a very big performance difference, you'll be fine

Hi I'm Paul!
Banned
#15 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 3:38 PM
There is no limit but install too many and your game will load uber slow. Install incompatible ones and your game will run like crap or not at all.

It's also best to test each mod after you install it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 6:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys
I can't believe I thought 14 was a lot when some people have hundreds. :p
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#17 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
And the way xml mods conflict is that the one that gets loaded last, is the one that will work.
Hmm, I tested that with an OBJD override the other day. The game loaded the first one and ignored the second one then.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Mad Poster
#18 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
Hmm, I tested that with an OBJD override the other day. The game loaded the first one and ignored the second one then.
or, it works like this :D
I always assumed it loaded everything.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 10:16 PM
@Srikandi

This is brilliant!
I merged all my packages into one package and the load times are much faster.
Scholar
#20 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 8:50 PM
There's no answer to the OP's question. It depends on the pc, player, compatability and size of cc files.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com