Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 11:05 AM
Default What did I learn today?
There are so many new and interesting things to learn about and I just can't keep up with it all, so I want to know what interesting thing you learned today.

Today I learned that there is a food called scrapple, which despite it's name that sounds to me like some kind of scrumptious apple is actually a semi-solid mush made from hog offal.

It's congealed.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 11:20 AM
So... sausage jello then? Neat.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 11:41 AM
Apparently so. I know that generally there is a no requests rule but could you please taste some in the name of learning and science then report back here so we can all learn from your experience?
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 11:49 AM
If I happen upon it, I'll try it, though I am far too lazy to seek it out... I like sausage and I find all those vintage jellied meat recipes sort of horrifascinating.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 11:55 AM
It would probably just taste piggy anyway.

So what have you learned today HP?
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 11:58 AM
I've learned that you can unload timber like this, intentionally:

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 12:45 PM
Wow - you see interesting stuff on the Internetz.

| learned last night that 3D cinema is not all it's cracked up to be. (Not seen a 3D film before).

More usefully, I've been learning to mesh recently.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#8 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 12:48 PM
I have been learning a lot about recolouring recently. Yesterday, I learnt how to make a clipping mask in Photoshop.

I have just started to learn the Tenor Horn. I could already play a bugle (a cornet without valves) so just got to learn the fingering :D

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Scholar
#9 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 4:28 PM
I learned that Saints Row IV is more cheesier than I thought it was going to be and I also learned that when making vegan alfredo sauce you actually have to use nutritional yeast instead of just any yeast because if you use regular yeast it will taste gross.
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#10 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
I find all those vintage jellied meat recipes sort of horrifascinating.

Good news! Even the non-jellied meat recipes were horrifying:

There's always money in the banana stand.
Theorist
#11 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 5:00 PM
Scrapple is not jellied. It's compressed into a block, like bologna or salami. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 5:45 PM Last edited by Nymphetamine : 20th Jan 2014 at 5:46 PM. Reason: auto correct derped
I learned too much about meat. *gag* There are so many descriptive words for food - congealed and pressed into a block do not inspire me to eat it.
Scholar
#13 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jhd1189
Good news! Even the non-jellied meat recipes were horrifying:

Maybe, but I think the topless banana girl adds a touch of class to the concept.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 12:50 AM
I started reading At Home by Bill Bryson today - I learned that "Beef, mutton and lamb were hardly eaten at all for a thousand years because the animals they came from were needed for fleeces, manure or muscle power and were much too valuable to kill."
Mad Poster
#15 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 12:54 AM
Banana pic reminds me of my mom's very old Good Housekeeping recipe book. I was going through my big box of recipes, putting them on a computer program, ran across a bunch I REMEMBER being popular - in 50's? Meats or vegetables in aspic (gelatin) - I thought they were terrible and just WRONG even then. And found number of recipes calling for MSG.

Hagus - even the Irish hate it. Blood pudding or sausage - some people like it; not gonna try it. But I would eat bugs and larvae. But won't eat bugs with spidery legs or eye stalks; won't eat lobster or crabs if they are presented like that ---creepy!

Or - sorry -- this isn't the food channel.

One thing I learned today is difference between gibbous and waning moon. And that bazaar booming, horn noises, etc being heard all over the world may be related to earthquakes.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Instructor
#16 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
Scrapple is not jellied. It's compressed into a block, like bologna or salami. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

Isn't that called SPAM??
Theorist
#17 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 1:17 AM
No, spam is made of different parts of the pig. It comes in a can, and it's pink. Scrapple comes in a wrapper or a box, and it's gray with black flecks in it. (Pictures) Spam you usually eat sliced thick-ish and on a sandwich, like ham, and scrapple you usually slice very thin and fry. Then it's gray and black with brownish juice dripping out of it. *wishes there was a vomiting smiley* I've never been able to bring myself to try it -- I think you have to be raised on it.

Today I learned that it doesn't take anything like as long to wash the dishes as I always think it does... and it doesn't take them very long to air dry, either, except for the little part under the lip of Gladware containers.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 8:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
... and scrapple you usually slice very thin and fry. Then it's gray and black with brownish juice dripping out of it.

I've had scrapple. I recall it as brown and grey, which is not as off-putting as black, but I agree that it's less tasty-looking than sausage. Yet it tasted pretty good, in the same role as sausage (not Spam) as part of a big breakfast. I would happily eat it if I lived where it was common (eastern Pennsylvania). I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 9:09 AM
I learned that for some unknown reason I love the sentence "I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported."

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Scholar
#20 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 12:59 PM
I learned...or more precisely I found a perfect song for my contemporary/hip-hop dance audition. Now on to start choreographing it but I'm a lazy ass T_T

Hey there! :)
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 3:24 PM
As a pharmacist assigned to the emergency room for three straight days, I learned how to respond properly when a patient is in code blue (cardiac arrest). I can't believe I had two code blue patients two days in a row..
Alchemist
#22 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 4:18 PM
I've learned that Screw clamps hurt a lot if you drop them on your finger.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#23 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 5:05 PM
I learned that if someone's vagina were actually hot enough to create glass swans, their partner would need to have a cock (or other appendage) made of tungsten in order for the said appendage to survive sex.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
I learned that if someone's vagina were actually hot enough to create glass swans, their partner would need to have a cock (or other appendage) made of tungsten in order for the said appendage to survive sex.

What the...

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Scholar
#25 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 1:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Surviving is easy; the dedicated man or woman will be made of tungsten.
Page 1 of 2