Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Dolphin's Control-This-Sim Hack (Updated 2006-03-26)

by dolphin26 Posted 16th Mar 2006 at 11:57 PM - Updated 5th Mar 2008 at 2:16 AM by dolphin26 : keywords

120 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 111 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 5
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#76 Old 7th May 2006 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hellfyre6
Hey, first off...your hack is very useful and I like it very much. Now, the main reason I dl'd it was because I wanted to take *complete* control of a townie who happened to drop by and have them change their appearance and change their clothes. The makeover using the standard mirror is fine...but when I click on a dresser...there are no clothes (after buying some)there.

I even dl'd the "visitorenableddresser" hack by someone else here on MTS2 with the impression that this would allow the townies to use it to change their clothes. *Sigh*. Is this hack not supposed to support the feature of changing clothes and if not, can you make it do that?

Thanx for any help you can offer.

This hack makes the sim selectable, but in order to use dressers, your sim needs to be a part of the current family. It used to be that this meant you had to move the townie in temporarily, then move them out again with Inge's teleporter plus or the Insiminator. However, Christianlov has made a clothing rack that allows you to change clothes (and a makeover + facelift at the same time, if you like) for non-family members. That hack actually temporarily moves the person in and then instantly moves them back to have it work, but you won't even realize it's doing this when you use it. Find it here. Note that when you use it, don't use it as a selectable sim. Instead, don't even bother to use my hack, and choose the sim you want to change clothes for from the list of "neighbors". He/she doesn't even have to be currently on the lot, but you must know their name.
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 9th May 2006 at 9:34 AM
I Needed This So Bad. Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clémence Poésy rupestre! Oh and:

(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that
//\\ has survived, died, or is living with cancer.
Test Subject
#78 Old 27th May 2006 at 2:26 AM
Do you need this hack realy ? If you play with cheats, you don`t need it !
Okay, it is easier to make a hack-file, but is that clean with other hacks ?
This kind of Cheats do you find by mike inside or by snootysims.com
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 2:13 AM
You saved my crisis! THANK YOU SO MUCH~!~ zomg I dont know what I would do without this hack. Thank you again!

My Email
My Sim Page
Come visit me! ...please?
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#80 Old 27th Jun 2006 at 8:46 AM Last edited by porkypine : 27th Jun 2006 at 11:15 PM.
Hi Dolphin. A friend informed me just today that my lots had the Superduper bug and said it was from this mod. I'm glad you made the fix because I was afraid that I'd lose my Venetian lot. I now know how to fix it. I'll have to repair my lots and re-upload them.

History: My game crashed the other day. I had recently removed the content of my download folder because I wanted to upload some stuff to the exchange without any hitchhiker CC. That's when I started having problems with my game. I told my friend about the crash and she said she discovered my lots had the superduper bug and she found that your controller had something to do with it. That reminded me that I had recently seen it on my last lot I prepped for upload. At the time I didn't know what the heck it was. After I closed the game I couldn't get it to reload again past 29MB before it died. I feared that I'd lose everything and wasn't sure what had caused the problem. The controller must have been in my game for some time because after I wiped and reloaded my game with no CC I tested my older lots and they all had the superduper bug. The interesting thing was that Simpack 2 Clean Installer did not reveal it when I packed those lots for upload.

After reading this thread, I see that it modified the GUID for lots that were created while the older version of the mod was installed and it only appears when the mod is absent because the Maxis social test interactive (SuperDuper) replaces it.

Anyway. With the information that led me to your mod and your fix. I am able to repair the few lots I've tested. This is how I fixed my lots. (I still have to go through all of them and vet them before I re-upload my fixed lots.) The good thing about this fix is that while it is tedious, you don't have to destroy your favorite family lots or lose your furniture or earnings, etc.

I have Sims2 Holiday, University, Nightlife and Open For Business. I DO NOT have FFS.

OCCUPIED LOTS:

1: I used Simpack 2 Clean Installer to place the suspect lots into my reinstalled game.

2: I started the game and went into a lot. Sure enough superduper was there.

3: I exited the game without saving.

4: I copied your newest version of the (fixed) controller into my download folder.

5: I restarted my game.

6: I went to the first lot opened it and the superduper was gone. I EXITED WITHOUT SAVING that lot.

7: I went in a second lot - the superduper was gone. I SAVED when I exited that lot.

8: I exited the game

9: I removed your controller from the game and restarted my game.

10: I went into the the first lot IT STILL HAD SUPERDUPER. I exited that lot without saving.

11: I went into the second lot. SUPERDUPER WAS GONE.

12: I saved that lot, exited the game.

13: I moved your controller back into the download folder and restarted the game.

14: I opened the first lot, the Super Duper was gone. This time I SAVED the lot on exit.

15: I went to the second lot. no superduper. I saved and exited the game.

16: I removed your controller from the game and started the game again and revisited the lots.

SUPERDUPER WAS gone from the first two lots but not the third 'contol' lot.

So, to fix the problem - people need to move the current fixed mod into their download folder, and open each and every lot that was created, test for superduper (if they want to) and SAVE when exiting the lot.

They can later remove the mod from the download folder and revisit the lots with no ill effect.

I will now test this on an unoccupied lot - save it and later move someone in to it to see if superduper is gone. I need to prove that my uploads are free of the mod so I can replace them.

UNOCCUPIED LOTS:

1: I moved the FIXED dolphin controller to the downloads folder.

2: I started the game.

3: I placed the affected and unoccupied lot in the neighborhood. Opened the housing bin menu and entered the unoccupied lot.

4: I didn't do anything on, or to, the lot and immediately saved on exit.

5: I exited the game and removed the controller from the downloads folder.

6: I restarted the game and moved 2 sims onto the lot to see if superduper was gone.

7: RESOLVED! It works for both occupied AND unoccupied lots. all you have to do is install the controller, visit each lot, and save when exiting. It fixes the GUID and you should have no further problems with that lot.

When you leave the game, you can remove the controller and visit the same lots and the problem is GONE! YIPEE!!!! I'm going to be offline a few days while I repair all my lots and re-upload them!

Thanks Dolphin for fixing this! :0) You've saved me further axiety about being a vector for failed lots. :D
Test Subject
#81 Old 27th Jun 2006 at 7:26 PM
Hi, porkypine. I'm SO glad you posted your solution for the missing hack problem. You did an AWESOME job, and I'm sure you have probably helped a bunch of people...if not now, then down the line. I'm also VERY glad that your four lots will soon rejoin Wilderness Island! :-)

Linda
Test Subject
#82 Old 27th Jun 2006 at 9:26 PM
Default Thank you Porkypine
Thank you porkypine for being so thoughtful in sharing your fix with the community.I'm looking forward to seeing your lots back in Linda's Wilderness Island.

From Hillcrest
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#83 Old 27th Jun 2006 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by porkypine
So, to fix the problem - people need to move the current fixed mod into their download folder, and open each and every lot that was created, test for superduper (if they want to) and SAVE when exiting the lot.

This is correct. I'll incorporate this in my description of the bug on post #44.
Test Subject
#84 Old 28th Jun 2006 at 7:02 AM
@porkypine

It pleases me, that goes again all with you.

@Linda

Now it keeps on being able to go with Wilderness Island.

Liz
Test Subject
#85 Old 2nd Sep 2006 at 11:37 PM
Default Thank You!!!
Thank you so mcuh I've been looking for something like this just recently!!!

I think I know why sometimes the boolprop make selectable option doesn't work for some... Since my computer here is super slow I can only have the original game installed (my EPs are installed on my laptop). Anyways, for me, the make selectable works ONLY when I have one or more EPs installed and does nothing with the base game.

I'm not 100% positive but that's what happens for me. Hope it helps!!!
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 8:05 PM
Does anyone know if this works ok with Pets?
Test Subject
#87 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 4:28 PM
hey Dolphin26..I justed tested the Control-This-Sim Hack on Pets..it works..but the "Debug-Socal DL Test" option appears again..And I tried testing it on the Pets..it doesn't work..Maybe if it was possible..to create a new hack called "Control-This Pet"..or update this hack so that it works with Pets as well!.It's still a AWESOME hack!

See ya,
MSim
Forum Resident
#88 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 3:48 PM
I don't ever want to play without this hack--that's how much I like it. Please update it to work with pets correctly. I want an all in one version myself. "Control this sim or pet."

It would be really nice to have, after taking control of the sim/pet, a change name option on it too! That would take care of all those stupid ....not maxiods anymore so stupid "EA-iod" sim names.
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 8th Nov 2006 at 2:25 AM
I gave it a quick test in my testing neighborhood and it doesn't cause any glaring serious problems. I was able to control non-resident sims and then stop controling them whenever I wanted. It did not seem to effect resident pets. I didn't try it on non-resident pets. So... to me it seems ok. It's going back into my game and if anything seems odd I'll know what to blame.
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 24th Dec 2006 at 2:58 AM
your my best friend!XD

Cheese is NOT the meaning of life!Pie is.
Field Researcher
#91 Old 18th Mar 2007 at 9:15 PM
I used this hack all the time and I really miss it. Is there any chance that you will update it to work with pets and seasons?
Test Subject
#92 Old 20th Mar 2007 at 3:59 AM
I've used this hack with Pets and Seasons, and it appears to still be working fine.
Field Researcher
#93 Old 12th Apr 2007 at 11:39 AM
Any further reports or notes regarding this working with Pets and Seasons?

Edited:

Meh, forgot to say how much I really like this hack, its one of the best around, makes game play so much more comfortable. Thanks once again for sharing it with us all!

"Sims2 is life... all the rest is just details!"
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 12th Apr 2007 at 10:21 PM
So far I didn't experience any problems with Pets or Seasons.
Works like a charm.
Instructor
#95 Old 15th Sep 2007 at 8:32 AM
This is one of my favorite hacks and I'm glad to notice that it works perfect with Bon Voyage....

/Lisen
Field Researcher
#96 Old 28th Dec 2007 at 5:29 PM
What a great idea, I can't wait to test this hack. Thanks
Test Subject
#97 Old 29th Feb 2008 at 12:08 PM Last edited by vita4all : 1st Mar 2008 at 1:13 PM.
I hope you check and if needed, update your fantastic hack for Free Time because the "Debug - Super Duper Hug" has shown it's ugly face.

Your controller for it worked fine through BV, but the debug message popped up when I installed Free Time.

It *might* be the result of your needing to update the controller, or maybe it's Smonaff's Anti-Jealousy hack which is part of his 10 Gypsy Potions. His thread and yours were the only ones I found on this site that mentioned this problem in the initial post and the comments. See his thread here and her comments on the last page, post #130 about the problem.

If you want to use me as a guinea pig to try anything, PM me. I'm still testing.

Edit: This evening I did another re-install and discovered that not all lots are infected, only the ones where I used these social interaction hacks, but had to remove them (and everything else) from my DL folder to install Free Time.

The solution appears to be as stated in one Porkypine's comment: remove the hacks, move your sims out of any infected lots, and put them in a new lot. For all uninfected lots, save.

Thanks Dolphin and I hope you update and continue making hacks. I use this one every single time I play the game.

Edit #2: GOOD NEWS! This morning I began testing hacks again. There were only three hacks and no other custom content in my Downloads folder. Even though I worried I would re-introduce the Debug Super Duper Hug to my lots, I took a chance and placed your Control This Sim hack in it. Opened the game. Went to a lot that was still infected last night. Guess what? NO Super Duper Hug! Yay!

In summary, it appears that when you empty your Downloads folder to install Free Time or any other EP, you might get the Debug Super Duper Hug on lots where you used this and/or another social interaction hack. I cleaned up only two infected lots by moving sims out, then moving them back in (and didn't lose any furniture, either, thanks to the Stay Things Shrub at simological.com). Before you re-open your game again, put Dolphin's hack back in your DL folder. Open game. Go to a lot that you know had the problem. In my case, it was gone! And Dolphin's hack still works in Free Time!

~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#98 Old 5th Mar 2008 at 1:50 AM Last edited by dolphin26 : 5th Mar 2008 at 2:20 AM.
I want to point out that if you run into the "Super Duper Hug" bug today it almost certainly was not caused by this hack, but this hack can still fix the problem. Just install this hack, visit the lots that have the problem, spend at least 15 sim minutes there, and save the lot. You'll clear the super duper hug interactions from the lot.

Any hack that modifies the menu that pops up when you click a sim can cause the problem if the author of the hack doesn't realize that they need to change the default GUID for the social object they clone. When you remove such a hack, it sees an invisible object stored on your lot that it can't find the definition for because you uninstalled the hack. So it resets the object to it's default GUID, which is the example object Maxis wrote for hack developers to copy: the infamous "super duper hug". Almost all hacks that modify the sim menu are clones of that example hack.

I found and fixed this bug in this hack back in 2006. Even when I fixed the hack, people who had already run into the bug and saved their lot still had the super duper hug bug, in addition to having my hack back. So, in order to clear the super duper bug for those people, I added code that seeked out and destroyed the original super duper example interaction.

So the important points here are:
1) Any hack that alters the sim menu could cause the super duper bug if you uninstall them
2) If you downloaded this hack within the last 2 years, it won't cause the bug.
3) This hack seeks out and destroys the super duper hug bug, so if you have it (even from another hack) this hack will fix it for you.
Test Subject
#99 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 4:09 PM
Thank you, Dolphin. Your solution worked! The Super Duper Hug bug was driving me nuts for several days. I never figured out which hack caused it; quite possibly Smonaff's anti-jealousy hack.

I've been using yours for a long time and never had installation problems with new EPs when Pets, Seasons or BV came out. However, I added Smonaff's afterwards after BV, so it's more than plausible that this may have been the source. I also discovered the Hack Conflict Detection Utility - a great tool at simwardrobe.com, and found conflicts with a couple other hacks. All of this could have contributed to the hug bug.

I use your hack every time I play and in nearly every house I play. I used your advice in your first paragraph above. I went to only two lots, moved those sims out then moving them back in. The bug was gone. I exited the game, and the next time I restarted it - the bug was gone from every single lot!

Thank you for sharing this great hack and explaining why a problem could arise in these types of hacks (there are many out there like this) and how to solve it. It remains my #1 favorite can't-play-without hack.
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 21st Aug 2008 at 9:07 AM
Thank goodness the hug-a-rama is over! This has been a nice feature to have as well, very handy on community lots when you can't have a controller.
Page 4 of 5