Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 4:00 PM
Default Problem: Lines showing thru on recolors
I'm having trouble recoloring both the NuMica Card Table (Base Game) and the GrassCo Folding Chair (Bon Voyage). No matter what I try, I still end up with "lines" running vertically and horizontally in the middle of both objects (See picture).

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thank you!

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 10:53 AM
Hi, by looking at your texture it looks like it is not a single solid colour and the problem lies in making the texture seamless. What you need to do is make sure that your texture is tileable (procedural) you can do this by using the clone stamp tool in Photoshop
Check this out... http://www.game-artist.net/forums/s...e-texutres.html

Digital Art Portfolio http://www.gcmax.co.uk
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 2:30 PM
Thank you for your reply GCmax.

The card table is a single color. The chair is also a single color that was applied by adding a layer over the original and using the blend Multiply. I've tried importing with just SimPE and I've tried using the DXT1 Build (following Numenor's recoloring tutorial), and both results are the same.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 9:10 PM
Hmm surprised at that! It's been a while since modding with SimPE but from what I can remember all I had to do was open the texture in my paint program but instead of layering over it just replaced the whole texture with a map of my own. If I liked the texture and just wanted a different colour I would change the hue values by region selecting certain parts.

Think you are going too far using directx, this appears to be just a colour map with no alpha or other values attached to it so it's really not needed.

Personally I would check and double check your blend texture and make sure it is actually seamless as I feel the problem either lies there or lies in the combination of the two.

Digital Art Portfolio http://www.gcmax.co.uk
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 9th Feb 2008 at 11:22 PM
Hi Donna

I know you are having probs with these items - I had a go at recolouring the glassco chair the other night, literally just sticking a hue over the top to test it. I dont use psp but ps - I brought it into SimPE using the dxt facility and in game - although it was showing ok in the sims, in the thumb I saw the lines.

I have suggested to Susie that maybe she tries a recol with the wizards or turn off BV and see if that helps.

Im pretty much baffled at this as you are! Talk about challenge!

Later
Jill x
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Feb 2008 at 4:41 AM
You can also try dxt 3 on import. (and do not fix all the sizes after)

And what format are you saving your changed graphic in - png?

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 8:32 PM
Jill...

Did trying turning off BV (and even Seasons), but the lines still show up. I haven't tried the Wizard yet, but will do that now.

tiggerypum...

I've tried using dxt 3 on import, but I did update all sizes. I'll try again without it and see if that helps. Oh and I also did save in png format.

Thank you both for your advice. I'll keep you posted on what happens.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 9:04 PM
I did what you suggested Tiggerypum. I imported both the chair and table using dxt 3, but this time, I didn't "update all sizes."

It worked beautifully! The lines on both the chair and table are gone! Yay!

Does this mean that whenever you use dxt to import, you don't have to "update all sizes," or is that only in certain situations -- like this one?

Thanks so much for your help. Those lines were driving me crazy!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 12th Feb 2008 at 3:11 AM
Wow, Tigger, I totally forgot you didnt have to update all sizes, like we used to before the DXT! I now remember reading somewhere over here about it ages ago. Thank you for reminding me of that!

I bet you're so pleased Donna, bet Susie is too. Im so glad Tig had the answer!

Big hugs :lovestruc
Instructor
#10 Old 12th Feb 2008 at 3:34 AM
Oh wow...I had no idea that you didn't have to update sizes after using DXT to import textures. Thanks for the tip and great work on the recolors...are you planning to share? (can't wait to dl!) Those look super better than the original Maxis items.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mummysim
I bet you're so pleased Donna, bet Susie is too. Im so glad Tig had the answer!

Susie and I are both tickled pink Jill! Those "lines" were driving us crazy! lol

Quote: Originally posted by wndy26
Oh wow...I had no idea that you didn't have to update sizes after using DXT to import textures. Thanks for the tip and great work on the recolors...are you planning to share? (can't wait to dl!) Those look super better than the original Maxis items.

Thanks wndy26. Happy you liked them.

I sent you a PM with a link to our site, in case you want to stop by sometime and take a look at what we have.