Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 4:55 PM
Default transparent recolour for custom object tutorial
I would like to make a transparent recolour of a custom object (actually, the petbedbuddy by CTNutmegger) for my game, but I cant find a tutorial to help me. I have used SimPE to make ordinary recolours so i sort of know my way around it. The few tutorials I have found are for Maxis objects and use a wizard.
Could someone please point me in the right direction, or more conveniently, could someone do it for me?? I could send you the file (if that is ok?)
Thanks!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 2:19 AM
No, that is for maxis objects, using the SimPE wizard, i need a tutorial for custom objects using object workshop.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 2:43 AM
Yes it is a game object, but no it's not the wizard. It is using object workshop. The only difference between game and cc objects is you select open instead of start. The transparent texture is done using a dxt3 png image, and changing the stdalphablendmode to blend instead of none.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 2:35 PM
I get that part, but i dont see anything called stdalphablendmode. the only property related to alpha is "stmatuntextureddiffalpha". I am looking under the material definition tab, right? I presume i need to find the information relating to the alpha channel, but i cant find it. where do I look? Thanks!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#6 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 5:28 PM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 1:37 AM
I go to the same place in SimPE and this is all I have: [pic]
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#8 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 5:37 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 4th Jul 2010 at 5:38 AM. Reason: I meant my other right. ;)
Ok adding it should work then. On that pic I showed you will see an add button on the right. Click add, then select the newly added line. It will show as ":" - then add the stdalpahblendmode in the name box and blend in the value box. Click commit.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 8:42 AM
ok so far.. I also had to add StdMatAlphaTestEnabled and set it to 1. Best results so far! the object is transparent (yay!) but is still throwing a shadow. How do I get rid of this?
Thank you so much for your help so far HugeLunatic!! I am almost there...
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#10 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 3:53 PM
Yes the shadow is going to show for all recolors since it is linked to the mesh so this is always an issue with transparent recolors. The only way I know to get rid of that is to delete the shadow mesh group from the GMDC of the mesh, but this will remove the shadow from all recolors then.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 1:40 AM
That's not a problem - the object is meant to be hidden under the pet bed/house to allow more than one animal to share it. Where is this information?

I found the tab called geometric data container, is the shadow stuff easy to identify?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#12 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 2:19 AM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 1:21 PM
under the group tab, this is all i have, no mention of shadows here or anywhere, but the object definitely has one.
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#14 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 2:29 PM
Well that makes absolutely no sense. LoL Without no mesh for the shadow it shouldn't be there. Can you attach the package or link me to the original please?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 6:07 AM
Here it is. I got it oroginally from N99 but I cant see it there now (no search function that i can see). And thanks again.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  CTN_PetBedBuddy.rar (6.9 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#16 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 3:13 PM
The mesh and my quick transparent recolor have no shadow. So your either getting the shadow from another object or maybe you had the wrong settings when building your recolor. Use build dxt 3 with the filter set to none. After that if you still have a shadow in game, please give a pic of that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 1:26 AM
I just went and examined it again, you are right there is no shadow! Must have been another object.
We did it! thank you so much HL!