Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 3:54 AM
Default Meshing Windows?
I want to make some good looking modern windows but when I started editing the .s3asc in blender, there were 3 or 4 objects. How am I supposed to UV map that? I export as .obj Map it, then bring it back but its only 1 object after i have exported it... which means it wont go back into its original file and AAHHH very annoying. Is there a tutorial or some other way to get around this?

P.S For those of you who have seen my other 2 topics, I am new and have lots of questions :D
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 4:15 AM
I think you need to focus on creating one object first, and not jump between a deco and a window. They are both quite different. In terms of the number of meshes involved, the joints, and the windows masks. There will be at least 5 groups for windows, north, south, glass for north and south and shadow, plus some have more. I highly recommend you make something simple to start with.

The mesh is going to have to be exported as separate groups and mapped, no idea how you do that in Blender, but all objects have to be in there separate groups. Have you read through the tutorial by Ella yet? It will explain most of your questions. If you have never made anything before go through the tutorial and make the table, just to get familiar with the process. It covers getting your package ready, meshing, mapping, and textures. Please don't make any new posts until you have read that tutorial.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=375349
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 4:44 AM
I downloaded it but the files must have been glitched or something, I couldn't extract them properly... I will redownload them.

EDIT: No those files dont work, I donwloaded them on ANOTHER computer with a DIFFERENT EXTRACTOR and they still were corrupted.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 6:20 AM
You have to remove the first parts of the file names so the before 'part' is the same. (i.e. Tutorial-Creating_New_dining_table_mesh_for_TS3). The files must be named:

Tutorial-Creating_New_dining_table_mesh_for_TS3.part1.rar
Tutorial-Creating_New_dining_table_mesh_for_TS3.part2.rar
Tutorial-Creating_New_dining_table_mesh_for_TS3.part3.rar
Tutorial-Creating_New_dining_table_mesh_for_TS3.part4.rar
Tutorial-Creating_New_dining_table_mesh_for_TS3.part5.rar

Now you can extract them with no problems.

Also, you can do the UV in Blender, this is where I do mine. There are many UV tutorials, but start with Blender 3D: Noob to Pro and BlenderCourse
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 7:57 AM Last edited by whatthestuff : 10th Apr 2010 at 8:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ceixari
You have to remove the first parts of the file names so the before 'part' is the same. (i.e. Tutorial-Creating_New_dining_table_mesh_for_TS3). The files must be named:

Tutorial-Creating_New_dining_table_mesh_for_TS3.part1.rar
Tutorial-Creating_New_dining_table_mesh_for_TS3.part2.rar
Tutorial-Creating_New_dining_table_mesh_for_TS3.part3.rar
Tutorial-Creating_New_dining_table_mesh_for_TS3.part4.rar
Tutorial-Creating_New_dining_table_mesh_for_TS3.part5.rar

Now you can extract them with no problems.

Also, you can do the UV in Blender, this is where I do mine. There are many UV tutorials, but start with Blender 3D: Noob to Pro and BlenderCourse

lol I am not new to blender, I have been using it for well over 3 years now. I know I can do the UV mapping in blender but how do I get it to fit back into the .package file when i have 5 or more UV maps. Ok I got the files all extracted lol, thanks. I will check it out and then ask questions
Field Researcher
#6 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 8:22 AM
In the scripts thread I did indicate I was working on updating the scripts to handle multiple UV maps. I uploaded a new version a few minutes ago, but I would like to know which windows you cloned so I can test with them to make sure they will work for this object as well. Also, are you just changing the mesh or replacing it with a new mesh?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 12:07 PM
I was just changing the mesh, the objects were:
WindowInt 3x1
WindowInt

I chose them just because they looked easy to change.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 3:59 PM
Just loaded it into Blender. On these objects you have a single UV per group. You should be able to do the UV for each group in Blender. Exporting it will either only export the current group or if you select the scene button all the groups together.

If you do the UV mapping in Blender, it should be as easy as using the export script, then using the S3ObjTool to recompile the modl and mlod files which you can then import back into the .pacage file with S3PE.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 10:17 PM
The picture I'm attaching is of the windowIntl object.

Steps I took:
* cloned it with S3OC * extracted the mlod and modl using S3PE * decompiled with S3ObjTool
* imported into Blender using my script
* changed the meshes and UVs inside Blender
* exported from Blender using my script
* recompiled with S3ObjTool
* imported back into the .package using S3PE * changed the object's name using S3OC (could have done that earlier, but didn't)

The window on the left is the TS3 object, the one on the right my changed object. I didn't change the DDS images, since that wasn't the purpose of this demonstration which is why you can still see through the wall outside the triangle window mesh.

I used the current version of scripts as loaded on this website.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 8:16 AM
Ah ok... this is quiet confusing for me since I have always seen a UV map as something that is reserved for a single object. I have never ever heard of making a single UV map for multiple objects, lol but I will try. Thankyou, you helped alot. If I ever end up finnishing this window collection I will be sure to mention you ( ;
Field Researcher
#11 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 1:12 PM
Ahh, I think you have it the wrong way around One mesh might have several UVs, not one UV for several meshes.

These windows don't actually work like that, but I still needed to make a fix to handle the difference. In these windows, each mesh (group) has a single UV, which means you have to select each mesh (group) and change the UV assigned to it. There is no single UV for the whole window object.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 2:47 PM
Well what I done (it seamed to work) I had a look at the UV map that came with the package, pretty simple nothing on the inside (the glass) and around the outside was whatever colour you chose. So what I dont was changed the mesh for the window, then went back through the meshes and if it was a frame of the window i would move all the verticies to the outside of its UV map and if it was the window panel I would move it to the inside. Seamed to work... its just I only done it for the low poly model XD so when you zoom in it goes back to normal... fixing it up now.