Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#301 Old 1st Dec 2009 at 8:54 PM
I didn`t want to try it without being /sure/ it would work. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, I see, it`s saying that the same version works for both "client" *computers* and "server" *computers*, not that it uses a client/server programming model. Silly me, always seeing meanings that weren`t intended. .

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Advertisement
Theorist
Original Poster
#302 Old 1st Dec 2009 at 10:53 PM
Bah. No list came.
I suppose I have to open the TS3.exe rather than the framerate limiter bat that I've been using instead.

Tomorrow then. :/

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#303 Old 1st Dec 2009 at 10:55 PM Last edited by fluttereyes : 2nd Dec 2009 at 12:32 AM.
tizerist, if you have the EP and I know you have, it has to be TS3EP01.exe

I thought it only fair to say that the mangosims stuff is now working in my game, I don't want anyone to think her stuff isn't working when it is. I have everything working normally and the game is playing as it should. Thanks to tickleonthetum for suggesting the process monitor.

I suspect that a lot of us have sims2 cc in there in error.

@ Delphy, is there no way to make them have different icons, like don't let helper monkey recognise them, it can't do anything with them anyway. I know this isn't a fault as when SimPE is installed it associates with sims 3 cc. Just a thought and wondering if anything can be done to differentiate between them. I'm suspecting there isn't but had to throw it in the ring
Field Researcher
#304 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 2:12 AM
First of all, thanks for the info on the program and accompanying filter!

Second, I found that almost all of my patterns, tattoos, piercings, some clothing, and a few hairs were the culprits behind my own slowness with the game. I took out all of the tattoos and patterns, and took out the hairs and outfits that I saw off hand, and gave my game a go. It loaded up so much faster than it had before! Of course, I didn't go through the entire list because it was way to early in the morning! But just the few bits I deleted really sped up my game.

Also, I'm a genius and thought I was going to have to make a "I can't get the program to work!" post until I opened my eyes and had a second cup of coffee to see that it's not "Architect" I should be selecting, but "Process". LOL I just thought I'd share my blond moment!
Lab Assistant
#305 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 2:42 AM
Just also wanted to say a big "thank you" :lovestruc for the info about the Process Monitor tool - I found a few bad files as well (not sure if they were TS2/TS3 files) but I removed them and my game loads sooooo much faster and there's no lag!

I have a few hacks and then some patterns/hairs/default skins & eyes/clothes - 463mb.

I'm now going to attempt to put the objects in and see what happens and delete accordingly. I'll find out which objects seem to give me trouble and report back.
Lab Assistant
#306 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 5:31 AM
For me it was the Manic and I collection (not sure what the objects were, there were no thumbnails) and NewSea Hair YU014f-lollipop_mesh.package loading over and over again. I took them out and reloaded Sims 3 (no hacks/mods though, they're out of date), and it loaded at normal speed, and I currently have no lag. :D

Thank you so much.
Test Subject
#307 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 7:53 AM
I removed about 50 files (mostly patterns) and holy crap the game is running better already. I still have 600+ files in my folder.

Tomorrow I'll try playing with the files that were on the border of my query limitations and see how it affects the game. (I had a friend run a program off of my log saved as a csv file and get me a "headcount" of each file to speed the process up a bit. It isn't perfect since we didn't specify each type of process associated with that file, but preliminary results show that is okay.)
Test Subject
#308 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 9:41 AM
Here I am again and really happy!
I updated my base game with all the patches and it ran well with the cleaning I made, the one I showed you posts back. It still takes lots of minutes to load a family but once loaded you can play perfectly and fast. I guess the lag in loading the family it's because I've got like 2,50 gb of CC hehe.
fluttereyes don't feel stupid, as you can see you were not the first one, in fact I was the first one telling that I'd got sims2 contents hahahaha. In my case it was because I directly download from some links I found in a finds site without going directly to the real website to check what the content was, so it was a mistake that the creator of the finds made, I guess many people downloaded trough this way too.
Again, thanks people! I can now going on doing my creations for skysims in .package, yeah!
Scholar
#309 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 9:48 AM
Nadiah, I don't really feel stupid at all. You and I admitted to it and I'm sure there are many who found the same thing that haven't come back to the thread, that won't admit it, lol.

I think I did the same as you and downloaded through links, I know I used a finds list somewhere too and I think that's where I got them and why I can't find them again.

An easy check when you download and aren't sure is to try to open the .package with s3pe, a sims 2 one won't open.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#310 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 12:46 PM
fluttereyes: You can't tell Windows to give 2 different icons to the same type of file. However, what I can do is to make the Helper Monkey do a quick "open" on the package file it's trying to copy and if it fails, throw up an error message and not copy it. This should catch pretty much most TS2 content, and broken TS3 stuff, but I'd have to modify the DBPF libraries to also handle early Postal package files too (since they have an index of 2, not 3)

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Theorist
#311 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 2:47 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for posting about the Process Monitor I was ready to throw my game at the wall after installing WA my game was so slow and laggy but with TS3 it ran fine so I knew it was either the patch or some package well turns out it was several packages that kept loading and loading now that I took them out game runs like it did before and much better loading times so again thank you so much :-)
Scholar
#312 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 4:27 PM
Delphy if you could do that it would be great, I can only imagine the hassle with this down the line with more EP's in. It just means I need to start using the helper monkey to install. I only downloaded it initially for the framework.

My concern is in the people who actually did fall for this, even though some won't publicly admit it . I can only hazard a guess at the amount of youngsters that are in a worse state. With me it was just one sneaky download but it could be more with others. Would it be possible to add it to the wiki or something as a test to try if your game doesn't run smooth?

And while you're there could you get me 2 pints of milk and a box of sheba cat food please.
Test Subject
#313 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 4:31 PM
^ I agree with this. Add it to the wiki.

Also, I'll take a pint of cherry garcia.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#314 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 5:13 PM
To be honest, I'm half inclined to split off the framework install seperately anyway, so maybe I'll do it as a spin off from the monkey installer.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#315 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 5:37 PM
I can't seem to get the process monitor to work with ts3.I set it up just like Delphys instuctions said but I get this message when I start ts3. A required security module cannot be activated.This program cannot be executed(5025).Am I doing something wrong?
Theorist
#316 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by unicorngirl
I can't seem to get the process monitor to work with ts3.I set it up just like Delphys instuctions said but I get this message when I start ts3. A required security module cannot be activated.This program cannot be executed(5025).Am I doing something wrong?

Did you try running it as a Administrator?
Scholar
#317 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 7:06 PM
Delphy, what's the chance of you getting the unpacker to work in reverse, making .packages into sims3.packs. People have went right off the .package format and it would be good to be able to offer both. Sorry if this is off topic. I asked Inge to add it to S3PE but she has a lot on her plate right now.

@ mcardles, you're pushing your luck mate, I only asked for milk and cat food, you want him to go to the off sales too for booze, phew, some people

Plus, I would have given him 50 pence for going
Test Subject
#318 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 7:08 PM
Booze? That's a Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream flavor XD
Lab Assistant
#319 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 7:10 PM Last edited by jurocha : 2nd Dec 2009 at 8:47 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by MondayMorning
First of all, thanks for the info on the program and accompanying filter!

Second, I found that almost all of my patterns, tattoos, piercings, some clothing, and a few hairs were the culprits behind my own slowness with the game. I took out all of the tattoos and patterns, and took out the hairs and outfits that I saw off hand, and gave my game a go. It loaded up so much faster than it had before! Of course, I didn't go through the entire list because it was way to early in the morning!

I took all my .packages away blah blah blah, told that story a million times already. BUT as this thread progressed and it seemed, at first, the problem was related to the quantity/size of .packages/Mods folder, I decided to put back a few .packages. Just the ones I considered as absolutely necessary for the saved games that I already had. So I ended up with a list of 8 .packages: Robokitty tattoos, Aikea guinea multi-facial piercings and Body Freckles. My game with those .packages loads/runs as fast as without.

I'll now try to put a bunch of CC back in and try the plasticbox's how-to for macs.

EDIT: Loading time is already trashed: a bit over six minutes to main menu. PLUS 18 minutes to lot view. Mods folder has 110 .packages (158 MB: Babagaya clutter, Alaina 70's set, Alaina hena set, Basic thong set, BlackOrchid Air Blind and Dinning table, BobL Number Wall clocks set, Cherub Hair HP, Jill Wong decorative set, 22 female clothes from AAS and 9 cars from Prince here at MST). In-game lag is very bad, but game is possible - if you're a patient player.

- Didn't notice any .package being opened in loop.

And finally the list of the process (my specs: MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 2 GB RAM DDR3 running on Mac OS X 10.5.8):

Test Subject
#320 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 7:51 PM
Do you think we could all maybe get together and make a big list of the problem DLC?
Would be extremely helpful until either EA realizes they've screwed up or someone comes up with another solution.

Also I tried the process examiner file thing, followed the instructions as posted, but nothing came up after running Sims 3 and doing stuff on a lot for awhile. Completely blank list.
Test Subject
#321 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 7:56 PM
I know this isn't really the place to ask, but as It has to do with mods, can someone tell me if my Mods folder shoulde be moved to the WA directory or stay where it was before I installed WA?
Thank you
Lab Assistant
#322 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 8:30 PM
Mage_12 - Please check out this link.
---------------------

First of all, thank you TickleOnTheTum for suggesting the process monitor program, and thank you Delphy for creating the filter! I really hope this is the start of finding a solution to this problem.

I've done some testing yesterday and today and thought I would post the results here.

My specs:
Laptop with Vista 32, 3G RAM, NVidia 8600M GT with 512MB dedicated, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz

I have installed the latest patch, but do not have WA yet.

I have a total of 2,2 gigs of CC. I started testing by putting all my CC folders in one at a time (first patterns, then make-up, then hair etc.) and ran the process monitor in the background. In total I took out 15 files (2 files from the Animals Abound set, a file from TSR: newtlco_lillberg_boxes and the entire JCP store set), they kept loading continuously, making the game load slowly and very laggy in general. I have also sent the 2 bad files from the Animals Abound set to Lemoncandy who tested for me to see if they would behave the same in her game and they did.
Anyway, I figured after I took out those bad files (and the files that so far have been identified as blue lot packages), I could put them all in together. As soon as I did that the loading times became very long again, while the game loads up quite fast with just the seperate folders (only hair, or patterns etc. - objects does seem to take the longest though). This leads me to believe it could also be a -partially- quantity related issue? Or maybe it's the combination of certain files? Maybe there's other problems with certain packages that can't be shown with the process monitor?

And that's why I'm interested in knowing Nadiah's specs, since you posted above that you're loading the game just fine with 2,5 gigs of CC. Would you mind posting them here?

Loading times:
1) CC-free
- From desktop to main menu: 40 seconds
- From main menu to neighborhood: 40 seconds
2) With all CC except objects (1,39G)
- From desktop to main menu: loads all packages (about 1,5 min)
- From main menu to neighborhood: loads all packages, pauses at beginning of load bar/no entries in process monitor, then keeps loading the deltabuild package until bar is full (about 7 mins)
3) Only objects (812MB)
- From desktop to main menu: loads all packages (about 2 mins)
- From main menu to neighborhood: loads all packages, pauses at beginning of load bar/no entries in process monitor, then keeps loading the deltabuild package until bar is full (about 11 mins)
4) All CC (2.2G)
Really long/not loading at all
Test Subject
#323 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 8:43 PM
My game seems to be loading everything I put in the packages folder that isn't a slider, NRAA mod, gameplay mod, or awesome mod multiple times.
Field Researcher
#324 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jurocha
I took all my .packages away blah blah blah, told that (158 MB: Babagaya clutter, Alaina 70's set, Alaina hena set, Basic thong set, BlackOrchid Air Blind and Dinning table, BobL Number Wall clocks set, Cherub Hair HP, Jill Wong decorative set, 22 female clothes from AAS and 9 cars from Prince here at MST). In-game lag is very bad, but game is possible - if you're a patient player.

Have you tried removing the AAS downloads? For some reason, all my downloads from AAS seemed to cause some lag. Some files were extremely noticeable, others slightly less so. When I had all of them in the game at once, however, it took 5+ minutes to load. My Downloads folder was only at about 250 mb, tops, and I currently have more than that in there and it loads in about 2 minutes.

I've also noticed that Newsea hair has been causing a severe about of lag and loading issues for my game. The files are quite large, but the game ran them just fine prior to WA.
Field Researcher
#325 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jurocha
EDIT: Loading time is already trashed: a bit over six minutes to main menu. PLUS 18 minutes to lot view. Mods folder has 110 .packages (158 MB: Babagaya clutter, Alaina 70's set, Alaina hena set, Basic thong set, BlackOrchid Air Blind and Dinning table, BobL Number Wall clocks set, Cherub Hair HP, Jill Wong decorative set, 22 female clothes from AAS and 9 cars from Prince here at MST). In-game lag is very bad, but game is possible - if you're a patient player.

Jurocha, if you are referring to this BobL Number Wall Clock download: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=80859 , that is a Sims2 download and would be part of your problem. TS3 can't read it and it would cause the game to try to load it over and over again, without success. The wall clock set should be pulled from your mods folder.

If he's done a set for TS3 published elsewhere and I just don't know about it, I apologize if my post is worthless to you. That file jumped out at me when I read your edit because I had so much of his work in my TS2 game.
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Fixes found and made into FAQ - please make a new thread if you have further questions/issues.
Page 13 of 26