Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 4:25 PM Last edited by suzetter : 3rd Aug 2010 at 2:49 PM.
Default Sims Medieval - IT's OFFICIAL!
We were discussing the possibilty of a medevial sims3 EP on the After DArk (LN) thread when Robodi95 revealed this:
http://www.simprograms.com/the-sims...ling-thru-time/

Turns out we're getting a new Medieval Sims game (not EP).
(Thanks for the link Robodi95.)

So this is what humble meant by taking the Sims through theme, space, and time during the late night reveal. Some of us suspected this but no one actually knew.

I love the theme!
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 4:29 PM
You're welcome
- RobodL95

Hi I'm Paul!
Banned
#3 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 4:42 PM
Again, it won't be an EP. They do not make new domain names for EPs. Only for new titles.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 5:00 PM
I'm still listening for any news about console sims. Those are still my favorite. They had a fun storyline and great graphics for sims back then.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Achromagus
Again, it won't be an EP. They do not make new domain names for EPs. Only for new titles.

Read the post. It says we were discussing EPs when Robodi95 bought up the information about the new GAME.

So your point was pointless.
Theorist
#6 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 6:09 PM
Ah this old chestnut again.
Yep, I still believe that with the EP coming out 2 months before Christmas, this will be the big one for the festive period.
And Sims In The Future spin-off for xmas 2011.
Watch this space.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 6:27 PM
Another cow for EAxis to milk money.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 6:52 PM
I would be the first to agree EA nickels and dimes us. But as this is a separate game TS3 players can decide not to buy without feeling like they're misssing out on something in the TS3 game. This is rumored to be released in March 2011.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 6:57 PM
I'm with you. The point is they could make it part of TS3, like a new 'hood in one of the future EPs. But such an EP wouldn't probably make them the income they dream.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 8:06 PM
I missed this thread and posted in another one. Oh well.

This is a completely separate game and will probably give us items that fit into the medieval world such as horses, outdoor plumbing, primitive appliances and substitutes for electronics as well as lots of medieval build items, buy items, and clothing. Rather than clutter our Sims 3 games with tons of items we would not use in a regular Sims 3 game, a separate game will give us the ability to play with just medieval items. So no randomly spawned townie in modern clothing! Also, I bet cars and carpools will be replaced with horses. I saw that a console or DS game had horses so that makes me think that a medieval EP will as well.

I just hope they make it open ended like Sims 3 or at least allow a free play mode rather than push us along in a set story. I bet we see custom content just like we did for the Sims 2 stories. I remember people continuing to play Castaway as a separate game and porting items from the regular game as well as creating new items.

The problem with making it an EP is that it might be difficult to replace things like cars and keep newly immigrated sims from sporting modern clothing. With the open hood, I would guess it would be harder to control than Sims 2 was. In Sims 2, you could make all the Sims and all the townies and never have new sims move in so no worries about an oddly dressed out-of-theme person walking down the street. The townies also never aged in Sims 2 unless you manually made them age...so no problem with changing clothing when aging up. Plus things like Cell phones and carpools are very important in Sims 3 so difficult to get a really good feel for a medieval world. And then the rabbitholes...Yes, we can now make custom rabbitholes with mods but the careers are still modern and its difficult to mod careers so very little customization has been done.

Sounds like fun!
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 10:10 PM
I agree. The game would be completely immersed in medieval times and none of the oddities of playing a medieval town in a modern sim universe would occur. There would be plenty of things for creators to make if they were inclined but the more difficult items like careers, food, musical instruments, animals (Horses!) would already be components of the game. Having a choice between free mode and story mode would be good too.

This hasn't been confirmed but this is about the third such rumor and EA bought Medeival domain names and it does fit in with the taking Sims through theme, time, and space Humble spoke of so I think its probably happening.

And I hope it is because it has possibilities of being fun and different.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 10:32 PM
^ I second that agreement. To me it makes more sense to have a medieval spin-off as a stand-alone game than as a TS3 EP because of the reasons mentioned above. There's no gain in making it a new EP because it will play differently to the regular The Sims: you would have to have an entire NH just for the medieval part, it wouldn't be 'compatible' with other saves because they are in the modern day, etc. The Sims players can still go and buy it if they're interested in the medieval aspect but this way people who don't own The Sims can still play, so the players and EA benefit more from having it separate.

It sounds interesting, I'm quite keen to hear more information about it now.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#13 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 11:45 PM
For the medievalness of it, a separate game makes perfect sense for all the reasons Rian iterated (jeans and phones and cars, begone!); however, I know there's going to be stuff in a medieval game that I would be delighted to be able to incorporate into my regular game (ponies!). So I still pout over the separation.
Theorist
#14 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 11:57 PM
Well it may be possible to convert some objects, depending on how the game is made it may even be as simple as just opening the game files in S3PE! Didn't some people convert objects from Castaway?

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
#15 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 12:22 AM
If they recreate the actual Medieval social structures, with things such as guilds and a feudal system, this will be very interesting. If they just make a Sims 3 with medieval items it would kinda suck. And if they throw in things such as ''medieval'' stone televisions (a move most certainly not beyond EA)...
But how do we know so surely that it actually is under development?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 12:26 AM
I have to admit that this is a very good idea if it's true. I hope that it plays just like Sims 3 only that it'd be set in the medieval times. Imagine the opportunities system including quests now? And I want it to be expandable with EPs, too. It could turn into a whole new phenomenon! I can't wait for more info. In fact, I have a hunch that this is going to be one hell of a seller, at least if done right.
Test Subject
#17 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 12:29 AM
Perhaps (if it develops into a completely seperate franchise), each EP could be another time period, like Baroque, Vicorian era or the Renaissance.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 12:43 AM
That could be probable.
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sim-brother
Perhaps (if it develops into a completely seperate franchise), each EP could be another time period, like Baroque, Vicorian era or the Renaissance.

I think that's the plan but they're just starting with Medieval. I also hope its not just Sims in costume with stone TVs. What would be the point then? Modders have already created those sorts of objects.

He leaked some info at the EA event so I bet we hear something sooner rather than later.
Scholar
#20 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 1:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
Well it may be possible to convert some objects, depending on how the game is made it may even be as simple as just opening the game files in S3PE! Didn't some people convert objects from Castaway?

They did indeed, and were promptly told by EA to take them down.

I love the idea of this, especially if there are things like butter-churning, expanded gardening, bread baking etc. I just hope they make these features compatible with Sims 3. I'd buy functional content like that from the store.
Theorist
#21 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 1:33 AM
How could it not be a just a costume party? EA's policy is to be as non-offensive as possible. Quite the opposite of the period. When I think medieval I think of the following joys:

1. Christianity for the religious prosecution of heretics
2. Arranging the marriage of a 6 year old girls to an adult man
3. Devices of torture such as the Judas / Madonna cradle and the heretic fork
4. The feudal system, where tyranny is the only effective means of government
5. Bubonic Plague wiping out 75% of the population
6. Forms of public discipline such as stocks, dunking, beheadings

Most important is 1. If my sim is an inquisitor then can he punish a pot smoking atheist sim by shoving his glass bong into him and breaking it? EA will likely exclude all the good things about medieval times.
Test Subject
#22 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 1:47 AM
It indeed would be very hard to present elements of medieval european culture to non-european audiences, such as the omnipotence of the catholic church and the frequent toasting of women an ''heretics'' such as muslims (probably a large group of buyers) and pagans. And they probably won't include fun stuff like iron maidens and witch-hunts.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 1:49 AM
I would much rather see a Victorian Era game, as Medieval stuff isn't really my thing.
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 2:05 AM
Shoosh...all those things happened in the medieval world. But then look at what was left out of the Sims 3 and other Sim games? Murder, rape, STDs, birth defects, handicapped people, oil spills, drive-by-shootings....

That doesn't mean the game still isn't fun to play...or you would not be here. Besides, modders find ways to change the lives of their sims all the time.

And just like in real life, there were many people who lived boring lives during the medieval period. We just read about the horrible things that happened. I am sure there were people marrying, working at their craft, having children, farming and just living out their lives.

Although, I have to admit, I would love some conflict in the game, especially political. Competition among various houses or Lords, dynasties that grow, ways to sabotage a business, requirements for dowries, monasteries that own lots of property...hehehe. Bet there will be plague mods fairly quickly.

Have you played The Guild? I would LOVE to see something like that in a Sims type game although I doubt it will ever happen.
#25 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 2:19 AM
thanks for share
Page 1 of 17