Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 5:37 AM
Default Need help with roof making.
I need help making a roof that fits this house:

Here is what I'm working from (I'm trying to replicate the house in the top frames):

(above: front)

(above: back)
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 6:18 AM
Looks to be a low pitched hipped roof. Looking at the diagram you will need 2 tiles room at the front not one.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 6:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Looks to be a low pitched hipped roof. Looking at the diagram you will need 2 tiles room at the front not one.
I'm mainly going off the front of the house design, because the front doesn't seem to be consistent with the back design. It's a manga after all, so it's hard to tell with just a picture.

Where do I place these tiles at? I'm not sure what you meant.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 6:39 AM
You have one tile width at the front of your building where your roof will go, but the first picture indicates 2 tiles width. See how the side looks narrower than the front? So the side is one tile, the front is 2. You need to move your wall back one tile.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 7:29 AM Last edited by CloudChaser0 : 31st Jan 2014 at 9:41 PM.
You have one tile width at the front of your building where your roof will go, but the first picture indicates 2 tiles width. See how the side looks narrower than the front? So the side is one tile, the front is 2. You need to move your wall back one tile.
Ok here is what I have so far:

The upper roof (the second floor roof) is still an issue. I can't seem to get it how it looks in the pictures.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 8:19 AM
Your picture is showing up so large I have to scroll sidewise and what with the all the grey I'm finding it hard to tell what you have done. It looks like your roof isn't going in to meet all of the walls. Maybe put down some coloured floor tile and take a shot looking down.

Also just noticed, I meant the roof to the left of the one you are using.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 9:43 PM Last edited by CloudChaser0 : 31st Jan 2014 at 9:56 PM.
Your picture is showing up so large I have to scroll sidewise and what with the all the grey I'm finding it hard to tell what you have done. It looks like your roof isn't going in to meet all of the walls. Maybe put down some coloured floor tile and take a shot looking down.
Well I put in spoiler tags so it's easier to manage.

Also just noticed, I meant the roof to the left of the one you are using.

Ok I'll try that then.

EDIT: Here are those top down shots:

EDIT 2: I swapped the roof, and you were right it looks much better now.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 2:12 AM
I meant top down with the roof on, but glad it looks better now.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 11:02 PM
I meant top down with the roof on, but glad it looks better now.
New issue...

Take a look at house in my OP, and look at these:

See how the roof comes up the wall, and sort of meet the window (in my OP)? I don't know if I can do it like that in The Sims 2, but I can't just leave the space empty either.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 11:45 PM
I'm not sure I am understanding, there is no window in your pictures. You need your roof to meet the walls. You can draw across more then one roof and blend them together by using the same angle.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 3:39 AM
I'm not sure I am understanding, there is no window in your pictures. You need your roof to meet the walls. You can draw across more then one roof and blend them together by using the same angle.
See how in the manga the roof seems to meet just below the window? that's how I'm trying to get it, but in The Sims 2. The problem is the roof doesn't seem to be able to low enough to do so. I can leave a one block space between the roof, and window, but then it just looks weird (plus it blocks the window partially).

This seems to be the best I've been able to get it, but then it still leaves that small blank area:
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 4:31 AM
The roof clipping the window can be a problem, you just have to play around with the windows that you use and the roof angle. I'm still not understanding why you have all that area with no roof on it at all. Best to cover the entire area up to the walls, then play round with what windows you use. You will have to remove the windows to get the roof tool to place.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 6:41 AM
The roof clipping the window can be a problem, you just have to play around with the windows that you use and the roof angle. I'm still not understanding why you have all that area with no roof on it at all. Best to cover the entire area up to the walls, then play round with what windows you use. You will have to remove the windows to get the roof tool to place.
That's just it though I put the roof up the wall then when I try to place the window there, then it will must give me the "must be against a wall" error.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 7:08 AM
Did you go inside the house and try it there and flip the window? It is usually just a matter of fiddling around and sometimes you just have to try another window.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 9:53 AM Last edited by CloudChaser0 : 3rd Feb 2014 at 10:05 AM.
Did you go inside the house and try it there and flip the window? It is usually just a matter of fiddling around and sometimes you just have to try another window.
I did, but nothing really seems to work no matter what I try. Also, if I try to place the roof(ing) life in the image on the house it clips through the walls.

See here.

Thanks for the help so far by the way .
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#16 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 2:23 PM
Change the angle of the roof to the lowest, 15, and then try to place windows. If that window won't go in still, you may need a shorter window. You can also use moveobjects to place the window. The wall will still be visable, but you should be able to exit to hood view and come back and the cutout will be fine.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 5:51 PM
Well I got windows working, and got the roof much smaller, but the roof doesn't seem to go together well though.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 12:36 AM Last edited by CloudChaser0 : 4th Feb 2014 at 12:48 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
It looks like you've tried to use the gable roof when you want to use the hip roof.
Thank you, and joandsarah77 so much. Finally got the roof the way I wanted, I ended up adjusting the roof to 20°, because 15° was just too flat looking to me.

Results:

Could you, or another moderator please lock this thread? I think my issue is resolved.