Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 2:11 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime
Default Game doesn't recognize my card even after following steps to fix it, please help
Hi, I have recently reinstalled The Sims 3 but it doesn't recognize my video card. The game version is old and I can't update it for various reasons, I have tried to edit the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files as written in the guide but it didn't help.
I also tried editing these files in all the other expansion packs folders but still, no luck. Here's my system specs:
  • CPU: i5 4670k
  • GPU: MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5
  • RAM: 8GB

I edited the GraphicsCards.sgr file by adding one line under ' vendor "ATI" 0x1002 ', so it looks like this:

Code:
vendor "ATI" 0x1002
	card 0x6819 "Radeon HD 7800 Series"
        list continues here with all the other cards

I also tried editing the line I added in to say 'card0x6819 "AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series"' but it didn't work either.

For GraphicsRules.sgr I did as suggested and performed a search for 'HD 6' and replaced it with the appropriate version for three times: 'or match("${cardName}", "*HD 7??0*")'.

I should also note that the DeviceConfig.log contains these two lines at all times, even before and after modifying the files.

Code:
=== Options ===
=== Default Options ===
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 2:31 PM
have you followed this tutorial?
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...zed_by_the_game

is your graphics card a 'AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series'? because the writer of the tutorial replaces with 'or match("${cardName}", "*HD 7??0*")' because that is his graphics card. you have to replace it accprding to your own.
I followed the tutorial and now the game recognizes mine.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 2:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by venusprincess100
have you followed this tutorial?
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...zed_by_the_game

is your graphics card a 'AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series'? because the writer of the tutorial replaces with 'or match("${cardName}", "*HD 7??0*")' because that is his graphics card. you have to replace it accprding to your own.
I followed the tutorial and now the game recognizes mine.

Yes, it is a 7870.

E: I did follow that tutorial
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 3:12 PM
try deleting cache files and the DeviceConfig.log (or placing on your desktop)
the game should regenarate another
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 3:29 PM
try deleting cache files and the DeviceConfig.log (or placing on your desktop)
the game should regenarate another

For Cache files do you mean the files in Documents\Electronic Arts ?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 3:34 PM
Quote:
I can't update it for various reasons
Like what?
Quote:
but it didn't work either
Elaborate, please. How does it "not work"? The game doesn't load at all?

Wait! HD 7870 has the same device ID as a HD 7850? i.e 0x6819?
This i5 CPU has an integrated graphics. Is it disabled? Or, you set the ts3w.exe to use the AMD GPU always in CCC, already?
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by khryus
For Cache files do you mean the files in Documents\Electronic Arts ?

yes.

try updating your game with the manual patch:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t...ix-manual-patch
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
Like what?
Elaborate, please. How does it "not work"? The game doesn't load at all?

The game works but still doesn't recognize the graphic card - as for why I can't update it I have a limited amount of GB I can download per month and I have to share it with 2 brothers, so I can't use it all or we're going to end up without internet for the rest of the month.

Wait! HD 7870 has the same device ID as a HD 7850? i.e 0x6819?
This i5 CPU has an integrated graphics. Is it disabled? Or, you set the ts3w.exe to use the AMD GPU always in CCC, already?

Device manager says it's 6818. http://i.imgur.com/H0qaoz3.png
About the CPU's integrated graphics, I don't know if it's disabled, how do I check? Could you also tell me how to move in CCC to have ts3w.exe use the GPU instead?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#9 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 5:37 PM
What patch is the base game on now?
I see that you have ITF. Is that the DVD or Digital download version? The DVD have the patches on disc. So you won't have to download gigabytes of data. It does however mean that you're limited to using mods that are compatible with the patch version on that disk, since there're no Incrementals from that 1.62 version.
Alternative is to use a Download Manager and download the Superpatch little bit at a time over a few months...

Instead of going to a site that openly support cracking games....which we don't support, by the way @venusprincess100 so, try to refrain linking to that site in the future, links to any patches anyone would ever need is available on our Wiki pages, too (see Patch Table link in my signature)

Device manager says it's 6818...
And did you really use 6819 or the correct ID of 6818 when you edit the GraphicsCards.sgr file?
... Could you also tell me how to move in CCC to have ts3w.exe use the GPU instead?
Didn't the wiki article have a link to it?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 6:20 PM
What patch is the base game on now?
I see that you have ITF. Is that the DVD or Digital download version? The DVD have the patches on disc. So you won't have to download gigabytes of data. It does however mean that you're limited to using mods that are compatible with the patch version on that disk, since there're no Incrementals from that 1.62 version.
Alternative is to use a Download Manager and download the Superpatch little bit at a time over a few months...

Instead of going to a site that openly support cracking games....which we don't support, by the way @venusprincess100 so, try to refrain linking to that site in the future, links to any patches anyone would ever need is available on our Wiki pages, too (see Patch Table link in my signature)

And did you really use 6819 or the correct ID of 6818 when you edit the GraphicsCards.sgr file?
Didn't the wiki article have a link to it?

Yeah my bad I typed 6819 here on the forum but in the file I typed 6818, got a little confused. I don't actually have ITF, I just checked all the boxes when registering
Also, what wiki article?

So the only solution is to update the game?
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 6:24 PM

ups, sorry it was the only link that occurred to me

Crinrict also wrote a page about 'Getting the game to recognize your graphics card'
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/0...-your-card.html
In the Arena
retired moderator
#12 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 6:35 PM
Also, what wiki article?
The article that you're following on making these sgr edits. The one venusprincess linked to in post#2

The 0x6818 ID is in the .SGR file on my system and I'm updated to 1.67, and I didn't input that since that is not the card I have.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 6:52 PM
Instead of going to a site that openly support cracking games....which we don't support, by the way @venusprincess100 so, try to refrain linking to that site in the future, links to any patches anyone would ever need is available on our Wiki pages, too (see patch Table link in my signature)

ups, sorry it was the only link that occurred to me

Crinrict also wrote a page about 'Getting the game to recognize your graphics card'
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/0...-your-card.html

I don't have "Configure switchable graphics." when I right click the tray icon so I guess that the Integrated video card is disabled by default (didn't do anything to disable it afaik)

The article that you're following on making these sgr edits. The one venusprincess linked to in post#2

The 0x6818 ID is in the .SGR file on my system and I'm updated to 1.67, and I didn't input that since that is not the card I have.

Oh (durr). Should I still attempt to do this after what I told venusprincess ?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#14 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 10:27 PM
Yeah, if it were me, I'd find a way to download the 1.67 superpatch. Perhaps go to the library with a USB stick / with your laptop ? If you do have a laptop, a friend's house? Or, a neighbor...Or Starbucks, internet cafe...there are options.