Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 4:03 PM Last edited by Stefanie139 : 18th Jan 2017 at 4:04 PM. Reason: Better title
Default Registry backup to ease reinstallation?
Dear experts,

this is my fifth or so time installing TS3 with all expansions and (premium) store content in 3 years, and I really hope there is an easier way for the next time it happens, as it takes me around a workday to set everything up. It was unavoidable this time because of new hardware, but:
Assuming no further hardware changes, has anyone ever tried to make a backup of the installation folder and user/documents folder AND the registry (which would have to be exported frequently to accomodate other software changes) and when something goes wrong just import the registry and use the backup (at the correct install path o/c)?
It's not even the EPs or SPs that are tedious but the store content. Last time I had to install quite a few items several times for them to work properly.
I've searched for this answer for days now.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 4:35 PM
You might be looking at other problems if trying to import the Registry. I am sure someone in here can better advise you on that.

Have you considered frequently making a copy of your Sims 3 Game Folder and saving it someplace safe? And/Or making back up copies of the DCCache Folder, Saves, Library Folder, Downloads Folder, Collections, Saved Sims, etc.

I just switched to all discs a couple of months ago and reinstalled the whole game. I ran the game saved and quit. Then replaced the new Sims 3 game folder with my back up copy. Or you could just paste individual folders. That worked for me but again, see what some others in here have to suggest. Sometimes what works for one does not work for another
Field Researcher
#3 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 4:38 PM
I don't know how to make a backup of the registry or the installation folder, I just install once and never reinstall. The last I reinstalled was because of a hardware change and in that case, I moved my EA folder on my new setup. When dealing with store contents, you need the DCCache folder, the ccmerged file in the DCBackup folder and the InstalledWorlds folder if you also installed store worlds. You could also make a backup of the entire Electronic Arts folder, (the one in documents), and call it a day.

Vivi e lascia vivere.
My blog Simplex Sims for more elder and teen CC.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 5:21 PM
Thanks for answering, both of you. That is exactly what i hoped, but when I searched the net it always said that I have to reinstall the store content, which led me to believe that I can't just paste my old stuff (aside from safe files and the mods folder).
It is 2 days later and I still haven't finished installing... .
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 5:41 PM
Aw that's too bad you had to go through all that @Stefanie139. If you every have to reinstall the game again all you need to do is load the game to create The Sims 3 folder, save as, quit then put in your original DCCache folder in your newly installed game along with Library Folder, Saved Sims, etc. The DCCache folder has all your downloaded and installed content: the .dbc files are third party custom content and the .ebc files are all store content. It's a good idea to back up your game files from time to time in case you need to reinstall.