Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 8:25 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Was there ever a fix for the NVidia ground cover stretching issue?
I have it with my current card and it's really annoying me. I know it's a known thing, just wondered if there was a fix. If not, I'll just "fix" it myself by remaking the textures (and perhaps turning into a default replacement) but it's a lot of work if someone has already done it.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 9:00 PM
@simsfreq Don't know what you are talking about, can you please link to it and show us a pic of your problem.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 9:32 PM
Yes what is this? I have a NVIDIA card and never noticed ground cover stretching.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 10:10 PM
It's only on certain cards. This is from the FAQs from the now gone EA site. I got the text of the entire FAQ from a Russian message board which I can't read, but I remember seeing this back in the day so I'm sure it's correct. I've been unlucky enough to have one each of the affected cards, despite going through at least five or six different cards between them on various computers! It's a really annoying glitch.

Quote:
Why is custom content Ground Cover stretched over a larger area on my computer?
On some computer systems, The Sims 2 displays Ground Cover textures -- both custom content and The Sims 2 content -- over a larger area (20x20 tiles) than normal (4x4). This is known behavior with the nVIDIA GeForce 2 family of video cards, nVIDIA GeForce4 MX, and nVIDIA GeForce4 4400.

When I first noticed it - on an old computer - it irritated me but I had assumed that I just had some badly made custom content. I got really annoyed wondering why people didn't understand scale I didn't notice that the EA ground covers (all except the default one) were stretched, because I'd always played with low graphics at that point, and they just looked blurry. But when you have a custom one which is taken from a crisp photo, it definitely looks off.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 10:19 PM
If the issue wasn't fixed back when it was discovered, I seriously doubt that a new fix would have been found in the last seven or eight years - those graphics cards are over 10 years old and completely obsolete.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 2:29 PM
Mine isn't either of those, it's a GeForce 9800 GTX+ from 2008, so still old in game terms, but not in TS2 terms. How annoying that the issue continued with some of the newer cards!

Ah well. Thanks for the info

Scholar
#7 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 4:25 PM
My pc card is an Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 ; and thus far I've not noticed any ground cover 'stretching'. But then, I've started playing smaller lots as my larger ones were slowing down a bit.
My sims game has a little over a gig of CC and so far everything is running ok.
There was an interesting article about overloading your graphics card and causing it to burn out.... I hope I'm not doing that. Am going to run off and look for that thread..

Back to your issue... the computer tech at BestBuy said that Nvidia was not a recommended card for playing sims games. Gee thanks---this has been my best pc for this game and I've been playing it for many years. Oh well.
If you find a better card you can post it here .

" Inama Nushif "
Scholar
#8 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 9:53 PM
Tleilaxu3: Nvidia is a fine choice for sims games: your tech guy didn't know what he was talking about.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 1:57 PM
Yeah, the computer "techs" at those places are generally less qualified than the screws holding the machine together!