Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 8:22 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons
Default Separating custom content for each neighborhood?
I'm not sure if this should go in the help category or in the general one, but I have a question regarding custom content.
I am currently playing the Strangetown neighborhood and I've downloaded multiple mods for it, but I want to try my hand at a custom neighborhood (medieval themed).
Is there any way I can separate the mods/custom content for each neighborhood?
So the medieval defaults/custom content doesn't show up in Strangetown and the regular mods don't show up in my medieval custom neighborhood?
Thank you!
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 8:59 PM
You can have separate downloads folders for each hood and swap them out each time you want to play. You have to, of course, decide what you want to play before you fire up the game. Or you can use Any Game Starter and have a separate sort of sub-game for each type of neighbourhood.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 11:29 PM
The way I do it is have separate Sims 2 folders. While you can swap out folders, if you have many Downloads that could take you quite awhile. It takes my main game with 20Gigs at least half an hour to paste the Download folder to my desktop for testing purposes. My other games with less cc would still take a good 5-10 minutes to move the Download folder, so I would not want to do that just to play.

I currently have three Sims 2 folders.
Sims 2 new
Sims 2 old
Sims 2 medieval.

Depending which one I want to play, only the new and the medieval, I simply rename it to the sims 2. The game will only read that one. Each sims 2 folder has it's own Download folder. To make a new folder simply rename your current sims 2 folder to something else like The Sims 2 Old. Load your game and you will find it makes you a second Sims 2 folder. Make your custom hood and new Download folder in that one.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 11:48 PM
AGS will allow you to have 3 temp up to full game setup and any number of permanent games as long as you have the space for them and each one can have there own downloads folder and there is no swapping out nothing. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=250555

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Undead Molten Llama
#5 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 1:50 AM
I use different user accounts on my computer, mostly because I'm half-senile, and if I do the shifting in and out with separate folders thing, I'm very liable to start the game with the wrong folder and not realize it until the whole thing has loaded and then I'd be cheesed off at the wasted time. So, it works better for me to have different user accounts with their own The Sims 2 folders, with the downloads customized for the type of neighborhoods I play under that particular user account. It takes up more hard drive space this way, I suppose, but since I've got plenty of that I'm not too fussed about it.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Theorist
#6 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 2:27 AM
I do the multiple-folders-with-name-changes thing too. Sometimes I do boot up the wrong game and get a bit frustrated, but they all take less than five minutes to load, and I've developed the habit of tidying up a bit while the game loads, so my house just gets a bit tidier, that's all. I'd have a lot more problems with swapping in and out/copying and pasting, I think, since I'd be afraid of transcription errors that might cause data loss or data corruption.

I didn't say it was a reasonable fear, mind. I'm also afraid to own a slow cooker even though that would solve a lot of problems for me because I'm convinced it would catch on fire the first time I used it. This is also an unreasonable fear that affects my life. But I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of buying a slow cooker if they wanted one, and the method Maxon describes is quite workable if you don't share my fears.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15