Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 11:47 PM
Default !@#$ Shadows again...
So, I cheated my way around the shadows on my wall clock. But this time the shape of my object would make that pretty hard to do and with not so satisfactory results. I can't get my object to use a custom shadow. I changed the reference in the MLOD, in the MODL, changed the references in TGI blocks, deleted the default dropshadow image from my package, ran it back through S3OC for renumbering, and yet, it still uses the default shadow. I am very pleased with this object, and I refuse to upload it without a shadow. I know for some it may not be a big deal, but for me it is.

Am I the only one having this problem or is it wall objects or is it something I'm missing

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 12:52 AM
Hmm .. I'm probably pointing out the obvious, but the way I've seen EA do it (with weirdly shaped shadows) is that they layer a few standard blobs on top of each other. In conjunction with some creative mapping, might that be a way out?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Alchemist
#3 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 12:55 AM
Shadows are a huge deal for me too. I wish I knew the answer to the problem you're having. Hopefully, someone will come along and show how to change the in-game default shadow. Then I hope someone will come along and solve the issue of the ridiculous outdoor shadows you get from certain clones...I have several objects waiting for that fix. They just aren't shareable with the nasty outdoor shadow that insists on showing up no matter what.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 3:56 AM Last edited by cmomoney : 12th Feb 2010 at 6:06 AM.
Quote:
Hmm .. I'm probably pointing out the obvious, but the way I've seen EA do it (with weirdly shaped shadows) is that they layer a few standard blobs on top of each other. In conjunction with some creative mapping, might that be a way out?

That's what I meant by cheating my way around with the clock I made. All the blobs are circles and squares, which both clocks consisted of in some way. This object's not so easy and probably I will at least have to double the polys just to look half way right. Oh, the agony....

ETA: Well, I cheated my way 'round it again, but it would have looked way better with the custom shadow. I guess it does make sense not to load up the game with a bunch of custom shadows though.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 10:38 PM
cmomoney,
TSRW RC4 has a new feature for creating sun shadows.
have you tried using it to see if it helps ?
Alchemist
#6 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 11:11 PM
I might be mistaken but I think cmo meant the indoor shadow that appears on the wall behind a wall object. I also could be mistaken about this but I think that is different than the sunshadow.

I would like a cure for the sunshadow issues many of us have noted with certain objects but I'm not gonna go corporate for it at this point in time. And in saying that I certainly mean no criticism of creators who choose to use TSRW.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 11:38 PM
The shadows cmo is talking about are a static texture mapped to a surface. They've got nothing to do with the sunshadows. (Which also means that discussion of sunshadow issues is a little OT here.)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Alchemist
#8 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 11:39 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 13th Feb 2010 at 1:04 AM.
"I might be mistaken but I think cmo meant the indoor shadow that appears on the wall behind a wall object. I also could be mistaken about this but I think that is different than the sunshadow."

'zactly my point

Although I do have it on good authority that:

Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
... digression is something we do well here.

And if there is no answer I'll end up having to double post. I think the definition of being off topic vs acceptable digression is something a mod could make more clear to us mere meshers? Or is the decision for who gets the wrist slap being made based on who it is that is straying? Do tell PB.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#9 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 1:27 AM
orangemittens: This is not a chatroom. Please stick to the topic of this thread, which is dropshadows. Thanks.

Alchemist
#10 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 1:35 AM
And discussing outdoor shadows vs indoor shadows makes it a chatroom?

Again I'll ask, what is the definition of being off topic vs acceptable digression?

Because clearly in some places digression is acceptable and in others it is not.

Be more clear PB. A discussion of shadows is a discussion of shadows...there has been no chatroom type of talk in this thread.
Alchemist
#11 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 3:02 AM
Er...I would say *any* discussion of shadows in this thread is acceptable since the title of this thread is"!@#$ Shadows again..."

with no specification of what kind of shadow the discussion is to be limited to.

Are you going to come along and define what can and can't be appropriately discussed in a thread titled "!@#$ Shadows" PB? If so, based on what?

Sorry to double post but I certainly wouldn't want anyone thinkin' I'd edited my post above to make it more polite.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#12 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 9:14 AM
I have absolutely no problems with people digressing onto other types of shadows, or suggesting alternative ways to fix a problem. Just becuase a sunshadow is not technically the same as a dropshadow doesn't mean that a thread should only contain discussion about one type of shadow. I also see no "chatroom" type posts here.

Some of the best discoveries in Sims modding have been done based on digressions and I encourage talk of this kind where everybody learns.

So long as the discussion stays technical and doesn't digress onto what people had for dinner, I have no issues with the topics so far. If the opening poster feels the thread is being hijacked then they can report any posts seperately.

Thanks.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.