Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 2:30 AM
Default Tutorial: Driveways in CAW - How to Make Them
Ever built a house, and then wished you could have a proper driveway, instead of just a sidewalk along the entire side of the lot?

Ever wished you could have something like this?

Or something like this?

In this tutorial, I will tell you how to do exactly that!

Before I continue, I'm going to make three assumptions. First, that you know how to place roads. Second, you know how to make custom roads. Finally, I'm assuming the nearby lot, and the road were placed with the grid. While this method could conceivably done without the grid, it will be much harder to do this.

There are two methods to go about this. I will start with the slightly more difficult method, but I assure you that it's still quite easy to do. I'm also starting with the first method, because it works for just about any width of driveway, unlike the second method. I should also note that I used the base game road in the pictures, although the results will be much better if you use custom roads.

So without further ado, the first method.

Method A:

Now on to method B. This method is actually easier, and it even allows for rounded corners. However, it only works on driveways that are 8 tiles wide, the width of two standard garage doors side by side. So, on to the method!

Method B:

So far, I haven't noticed this method causing any routing problems, despite initial skepticism.

Also, while unrelated, I must thank Ashillion for some textures I used out of the Create A Road Urban Pack and some files I used that were provided by Water_cat1 in the CAW Roads - CaW custom road textures thread.
5 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 11:36 AM
This is interesting! Out of curiosity, could you map the routing and take a screenshot? It would make it easier to see what's going on there, and exactly how you placed the little roads.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 2:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
This is interesting! Out of curiosity, could you map the routing and take a screenshot? It would make it easier to see what's going on there, and exactly how you placed the little roads.

Sure, no problem!

Screenshots
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 11:02 PM
...you can have invisible road textures? How is that done...? I've never succeeded to do that. :o
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 7:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Arisuka
...you can have invisible road textures? How is that done...? I've never succeeded to do that. :o

Sorry for my late reply, though it was partly due to the fact that MTS was down for a short while, and personal matters.

Anyway, it's just a matter of choosing the correct textures when you make custom roads. If you need further help, please don't hesitate in asking.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Sep 2011 at 3:10 AM Last edited by Shanna86 : 12th Sep 2011 at 3:31 AM.
I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread but I happened to see it and would like to know if there's more of an explanation available for the invisible sidewalks. I do know how to create custom roads, but I am not sure how to make the sidewalk invisible. Thanks!

**Edit: I kept messing with it. For others who are curious, I made 256x256 square in paint, made it black, and saved it as a .png. Then I used that file for the opacity texture.
Test Subject
#7 Old 25th May 2012 at 5:54 AM
Use transparent png or dds for road properties->sidewalk opacity