Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2013 at 11:35 PM
Default Converting Bed from Sims 3 to Sims 2- What steps do I need to take in Simpe ?
I am converting a bed from Sims 3 to Sims 2 for a request (yes creator has a conversion friendly TOU) and the set includes the bed. Having now created any beds in Sims 2 (only made it as far as couches and chairs) what steps do I need to take in SimPE in order to ensure that the bed is animated properly and that Sims recognize it as a bed? Please keep instructions simple as I have not really done animated objects or bhav editing to any great extent in SimPE at this point and my meshing skills for Sims 2 are rusty since I have not had a computer that will play Sims 2 in more than a year.
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Dec 2013 at 11:55 PM
Dee, I posted in the thread at GOS. But I'll repeat myself here so the information is available.

All you have to do for beds is edit the frame. No need to touch the bedding at all. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it because the bedding has tons of joints. All you need to do is clone the Colonial Ironwood bed, extract the frame and edit the new frame to make sure it's the same size. (It might already be since it's an existing mesh.) Then import it and it's texture like you normally would. (Make sure you keep the subset name the same, too.) Then, to make sure it picks up the Maxis bedding- make sure the SHPE has beddoublecolonial_bedding_blue for the bedding in the Material Definition File and the tsMaterialsMeshName in the GMND has bedDoubleColonial for the bedding. That's pretty much it. No need to edit BHAVs or anything like that.

If you want to make sure the bedding will fit the frame properly (no clipping on the sides or ends) you can extract it and use it as a guide while editing the frame. I do that. It won't hurt anything since you're not editing the bedding itself.

Off topic: Boy, I don't think I've used the words "make sure" that many times in one post my entire life! I'll have to make sure that doesn't happen again, lol.

Edit: If you want to make a single version of the bed, it's pretty much the same process- clone the Bed By St.whatevertherestofthenameis. You can slave the frame to the double bed and use the same information above for the bedding. If you do a single version, you might want to check the mapping and watch out when resizing the frame. I don't recommend using scale because it will scale the whole bed. (Personal preference, I just think it looks funny and like to keep the scale of the whole thing the same.) With that bed, it might be a little tough to just move the sides (and ends) so there could very well be a little scaling needed though.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Dec 2013 at 3:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Dee, I posted in the thread at GOS. But I'll repeat myself here so the information is available.

All you have to do for beds is edit the frame. No need to touch the bedding at all. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it because the bedding has tons of joints. All you need to do is clone the Colonial Ironwood bed, extract the frame and edit the new frame to make sure it's the same size. (It might already be since it's an existing mesh.) Then import it and it's texture like you normally would. (Make sure you keep the subset name the same, too.) Then, to make sure it picks up the Maxis bedding- make sure the SHPE has beddoublecolonial_bedding_blue for the bedding in the Material Definition File and the tsMaterialsMeshName in the GMND has bedDoubleColonial for the bedding. That's pretty much it. No need to edit BHAVs or anything like that.

If you want to make sure the bedding will fit the frame properly (no clipping on the sides or ends) you can extract it and use it as a guide while editing the frame. I do that. It won't hurt anything since you're not editing the bedding itself.

Off topic: Boy, I don't think I've used the words "make sure" that many times in one post my entire life! I'll have to make sure that doesn't happen again, lol.

Edit: If you want to make a single version of the bed, it's pretty much the same process- clone the Bed By St.whatevertherestofthenameis. You can slave the frame to the double bed and use the same information above for the bedding. If you do a single version, you might want to check the mapping and watch out when resizing the frame. I don't recommend using scale because it will scale the whole bed. (Personal preference, I just think it looks funny and like to keep the scale of the whole thing the same.) With that bed, it might be a little tough to just move the sides (and ends) so there could very well be a little scaling needed though.

Thanks MLC.
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 5th Jan 2014 at 11:34 PM
It does mean you dont convert the whole bed but only the frame if i am understanding correct?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Jan 2014 at 12:06 AM
Yes. Editing the bedding itself is a pain - it's very easy to mess up the sheet animations when doing so. It can be done successfully, but for a simple conversion, there's no point in going to all that trouble.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.