Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:34 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Generations, Seasons
Default Custom Content that needs more expansions then I have
Ok, so I would like to download a custom house for Sims 3, but it requires more expansion packs then I have. I was wondering what it might look like if I did download it and use it. Would it work? All I really want is the actual house, just the walls and the roof. I could even replace the windows if I had to. I could re-furnish, re-wallpaper, and re-floor. I just want to know if it will give me the outline. Thanks
Advertisement
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:04 AM
As long as you have an equivalent (or higher) patch level as the creator of the house, you'll be able to install it and see it in your game.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 12:37 AM
Can you show the actual house you want to download, if applicable? And yes, the way things work in TS3 is that they will replace whatever items TS3 cannot find with a supposed equivalent item. For example, if you don't have Ambitions EP, and your downloaded house has laundry machines (washing, drying), then likely, once placed, your house will come with 2 stoves in place of those 2 machines (that is the best TS3 can do). And of course you will also expect some "odd" windows/doors placed upon the location the supposed EP windows would go. Downloading a house is actually downloading a "blue print" of the house, TS3 will try its best to replicate the house per instructions contained in the lot file you downloaded.

Here is the catch: once the house is placed, it is final. You cannot install the missing EP and all windows, floors, appliances, etc... will go back to what they were supposed to be. So those washing machine replacement (the stoves) would stay exactly the same. If you want to see that lot in its intended glory, you have to place again. Well, this is hardly a game crasher (if you crash, there is something else wrong with the game). But it is nice to know.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 4:21 AM
This is the house that I would like:

http://onepracticalghost.tumblr.com...-my-tudor-manor

It's called the Tutor Manor.
I will download it now that I know it probably won't cause the game to crash. Thanks for the info!!
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 5:01 AM
Watch out, the CC included may say otherwise. Especially the sims3pack ones, once they go in, there is no coming out.

I downloaded the house too, it's great. But I skipped the CC.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 3:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
Watch out, the CC included may say otherwise. Especially the sims3pack ones, once they go in, there is no coming out.

I downloaded the house too, it's great. But I skipped the CC.

How do I skip the CC? I've downloaded it but have not extracted anything yet or installed anything.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 5:21 AM
The good thing about this person is that he gives you the house in package format. Just put that file in "Library" folder, forget the rest. I am playing with it. The house is nice, but unfurnished. Have fun furnishing.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 7:30 PM
When I downloaded it, it is in .rar format. Am I doing something wrong?
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 11:06 PM
You need to extract it with WINRAR.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 5:36 AM
Oh ok thanks.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 6:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by moocow1117
When I downloaded it, it is in .rar format. Am I doing something wrong?

You are less computer savvy than I expected. rar files need the free WinRAR to extract. But do not use everything. Follow the text file instruction.

For sims3pack files, don't install (for your own good). For package files, well, for the benefit of the doubt, give it a try. I am not saying you should not download CC (I have a ton). But just be very careful about it. Treat every .package file like a bomb, it can blow up right in your face. Put it in there, play the game for a while, save into a temporary save (not your main save) and see how it behaves.

I have been playing Sims since like 2004, and I am in software development and IT, but guess what? Some CC just got the best of me 2 days ago. Game constantly crashed, and gave "Error 12" on save (unable to save). How I survived? I didn't mess with my old save (the one I know is stable) and saved into a new save file to test new CC. If they work, business as usual. If they don't, at least I don't lose all my saves. And I know which CC I just installed. I just took them out 1 by 1, test, and figure out which 1 went wrong.

Oh, delete cache when you install/uninstall a CC (.package file too, not just sims3pack, even I said avoid sims3pack at all cost). If you don't know how, just ask.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 10:43 PM
Nope, don't know how to do a temp. save. Could I bother you to tell me?
Forum Resident
#13 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 11:18 PM Last edited by shmovese : 4th Sep 2014 at 11:37 PM. Reason: links added
you can choose "Save As" instead of "Save". you are asked to type in a new name then. thats like an alternative save for testing. so why not call it ....[same name as main game]CCtest

also i wouldnt say that every package is a bomb. but i do open all packages i download in S3OC / S3PE to take a look whats going on. further checking with delphys dashboard (it searches for dublicated, corrupted files and conflicting files) is also advisable if one downloads a lot of content. and normally thats exactly what one does sooner or later.
so as sims player since the very start i say: get familiar with tools and tutorials that help you control your CC. its the most important thing for every game that is more fun when being modified with CC. only install few items / mods at a time and make backups of your game regularly and get your stuff only from reliable sources where creators actually write a description of WHAT you are going to download. then everything is fine and smooth...

here maybe you want to check the CC Basics

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 8:29 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys, it has been extremely helpful.