Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 6:17 PM
Default The Adventure & Entertainment Career - What kind of sims to give these careers for? ("semi"-realistic)
Out of all the maxi career, the Adventure track and the Entertainment are the only ones I rarely play, because I like my sims to have a career that represent what kind of sims they are, not what kind of life they want to have.

Currently, in my 4 or 5th reboot of my hood, Im trying to build my hood slightly inspired based the BACC (Build A City Challenge), adding careers as they are earned, but with some tweaks here and there. (For example: I wouldnt trust someone with no medical education to do surgery on me! For Medical career, my sims need to have a diploma)

and of course, a society devided by different social groups based on their lifestyle and economy, which is why I wavering a little bit these two career. The hood don't enough that many spots available but Entertainment and Adventure are (also tweaked, I plan to build amusement park, instead of having sims with maxed charisma, so most rules are altered to my taste. It only has the BACC "vibe" )

SO, What KIND of sims would you put in these two career - in a more of a (semi-)realstic way (NOT just because a random wanted it )?
Wealthy, Average, Poor economy, working class or wacky hippies...etc (hard to give an example. )
Although being someone who favor adding realism into my game, I often bend when necessary. Usually it seems like people give a sim career because they LTW or had a want for it, I prefer my sims to job for it as a purpose. In real life, you don't have able to get your dream job, do you? I would love working in education (lingustic) or retail/businesses, but Im very agoraphobic and has sluddered speech, so.... yeah. Thats how I see with those sims's LTW and wants, they cant always become true.
Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 6:39 PM
I think sims that show a great want to travel should consider a career in adventure. Those with high charisma, extra energy, logic and challenge takers - and some hobby points in tinkering (one of the levels is disarming warheads), and talking interests in culture would fit the job well.

Sims with UNI degrees in drama, high charisma, popularity/pleasure sims, interest and hobby points in film and literature I think, would be driven into the entertainment career. I would think a wealthier sim wouldn't want to go into this career unless it was to escape everyday life because it's a very happy kind of party career that seems a wealthy family would look down on (juggler, ventriloquist, lounge singer, etc)

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#3 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 6:47 PM
I'm disappointed in the Adventure career, TBH... it's too scattered- there's no believable career progression in it like there is in other EAxis careers. I much preferred the Extreme Sports career from TS1, but alas, it didn't carry over- I personally tend to think of the Adventure career as something of a cross between Ernest Hemingway, Edward Abbey, and the Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man In The World" since that's about all I can think of even being remotely close to it.

I agree with Charmful on the Entertainment career- there's more to the entertainment industry than just appearing on screen or writing music! Especially if your neighborhood is supposed to have a thriving theatre scene or something, I think Entertainment is entirely apropos!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 7:20 PM
Many of the maxi careers has a bif of a confusing level progression, but these are the main one I cannot relate to as they feel a bit random and things Im not intrested in in real life.

I often read that Crime has also a confusing level progression, but for that one I tends to handpick the level and make it almost permament with Job Stopinator.

But with adventure/entertaiment, I understand them that much what they are, except for a few levels like Ventriloquist, But Round Table Knight...? Not so sure... I wish there were replacements for them, but I havent found any yet. .Perhaps I should just skip the Adventure career and give the sim a CC career related instead.

But agree with Charmful about Rich Sims, I cannot picture a royal member being a juggler as a serious job .
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 7:29 PM
The strangest level progression, IMHO, is in the Music career track. You go from Symphony Conductor to Rock God. I really don't know what Maxis was thinking.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 7:35 PM
Entertainer makes me think about that guy Gene Weingarten wrote a long piece about in the Washington Post a while back. He's famous in the DC area for doing kids' parties, and these rich parents pay him scads of money for making the kids laugh, to the point where he would always be booked and having him was a status symbol kind of thing. But in his real life he was kind of a fuckup and had a gambling problem. Anyway, I guess someone drawn to do things like that, just... entertain people, would be an entertainer?

Adventurer is all kinds of confusing to me as well. I can't make sense of it.
Link Ninja
#7 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
The strangest level progression, IMHO, is in the Music career track. You go from Symphony Conductor to Rock God. I really don't know what Maxis was thinking.

I am with you on this! It makes a world of difference having a fancy loft apartment with a classical piano and violin for the sim vs throwing those out and replacing with the 10 amp rock god career reward plus the drums and bass. It's like posh musician vs wild child rock n rolla.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 7:55 PM
For Richard Carlyon in Polgannon, I interpreted the Adventurer career as a kind of action archeologist (you know the idealised filmic kind not the actual real kind).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 11:43 PM
I would look over the levels and pick a job description that suits the sims. To me those careers as well music are not a natural progression up. As was mentioned above, symphony conductor to rock god? Um how about no. That would be two very different sims.

Ambassador's Intern
Spelunker
Multiregional Sim of Some Question
Deep Sea Excavator
Relic Liberator
Dread Pirate
Warhead Disarmer
Hostage Negotiator
International Sim of Mystery
Space Pirate

Apparently a spelunker is someone who makes a hobby of exploring and studying caves. I guess spelunker, Deep Sea Excavator, relic liberator could be used as archaeology levels. I would have them run a museum.

Entertainment I like. It just goes off track into the middle ages with round table knight and juggler.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 12:02 AM
I would consider entertainer for a Sims that autonomously tells a lot of jokes, especially if combined with other wants related to making others happy, learning charisma and an outgoing personality. Adventurer I would consider for Sims who are into sci-fi, sports and travel, especially if they have an active personality and high playfulness.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 1:06 AM
What are the levels for Entertainer then? I can see juggler being linked to Entertainer though I would have prefered that in a redone circus career (I liked that in TS1).

I could get a couple more of those levels into archeologist Jo though I admit it is a dog's dinner of a career.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 1:37 AM
Entertainment

Stand Up Comedian
Birthday Party Mascot
Mime
Lounge Singer
Ventriloquist
Round Table Knight
Juggler
Master Of Ceremonies
Headliner
Prestigiditator

Definition: The noun prestidigitation is another name for the quick hand movements and secret techniques of an illusionist. Both words come from the Latin word for "juggler," præstigiator. Definitions of prestidigitator. So in the end your sim becomes a fancy juggler, yah! I don't get why movie star wasn't the top level.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 3:25 AM
Adventure suits active Sims - but they need some brain cells too, so Fortune or Knowledge, imo.
Entertainment - I think it suits outgoing Sims better.

Jo, but it is magic!
Link Ninja
#14 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Entertainment

Stand Up Comedian
Birthday Party Mascot
Mime
Lounge Singer
Ventriloquist
Round Table Knight
Juggler
Master Of Ceremonies
Headliner
Prestigiditator

Definition: The noun prestidigitation is another name for the quick hand movements and secret techniques of an illusionist. Both words come from the Latin word for "juggler," præstigiator. Definitions of prestidigitator. So in the end your sim becomes a fancy juggler, yah! I don't get why movie star wasn't the top level.

Thats because the 'show business' career came first in sims 2 (with Uni) and delves into the more 'hollywood' style of job titles that matches up with the structure of 'Entertainment Career' in sims 1 - with the top being a presumably 'movie star' icon. It's weird you have to have a degree for it but I can see why they didn't want to overlap the job inferences between this one and the 'entertainment' career which came later for sims 2.

Forum Resident
#15 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 4:28 AM
I tend to ignore a lot of the individual job levels and just look at the overall career, and just imagine it to be something that suits the sim I have in mind. So I might have two sims in the music career, but I see one as an aspiring rock musician, and the other wants to be a solo violinist. If I do look at the individual levels, I tend to use the job stopinator to keep a sim at a level that suits them, such as keeping a sim with a nature hobby and gold fishing badge at deep sea fisherman in the oceanographer career. As for the adventurer career, my sims in that career tend to be active and have an interest in travel. For the crazy career levels, I don't see it as promotions within a career, but as the sim having a love of new experiences and risks and stumbling into a new opportunity - each level is it's own new job for the sim.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 4:44 AM
I get those two mixed up, it was pointless of them to make two similar jobs.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 7:20 AM
I am not a fan of the adventurer career. That said, I think of it as an Indiana Jones type occupation, so it should work best for a knowledge Sim who is highly active.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 3:23 PM
Hmmm.... probably because I'm always restarting my hoods, I've never really played with those careers either, but if I were to get them in this iteration of my custom hood, I've got some ideas about how I'd play them. I like my sim's careers to be 'active', and playable. So if a sim is in the restaurant career, they'll work in a restaurant, if they're a police sim, they'll work at the police station etc. So with the adventure career, they'll be an archaeologist! There's a mod on MTS that enables sims to dig up specific items, and you can change what they find in SimPE. I'd use that to create an archaeological dig site! But that would still only suit a particular type of sim (I do base what job a sim has on their personality insofar as I can). I could also make adventurers into travel agents. They'd have an office, and help sims book holidays. Maybe they'd work in a hotel or Museum, or possibly they'd be a lecturer in history at the community college!

Entertainment is one of my favourite careers, as it give so many more possibilities. I build venues and stages, and I want my sims to be able to become celebrities! Entertainment sims may sing, play in a band, or act at the theatre. They might work in a seedy nightclub dreaming of stardom, or they might be booked to sing at swanky parties and weddings! I use the karaoke machine and the instruments to form bands, and Simwardrobe has a great musician controller that will keep your band playing live.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 3:04 AM
I always found the Adventure career track to be a little bit goofy, as it almost reminded me of the Xtreme track that was included in Sims 1. Come to think of it, I've rarely placed a Sim in the Adventure career track, other than to have them suited in a quick career that pays quite well (which I think is one big bonus of this career track). I'd say the same goes for the Gamer career track, which is a touch on the iffy side for me as well.

Check out my building creations!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 3:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I don't get why movie star wasn't the top level.

Because surely that belongs to a drama/actor career (or show biz). I think they might have put in TV soap star - would've been better than the knight.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 4:17 PM
I think the Adventure career represents a particular kind of lifestyle that isn't available anymore, which I associate with the Ages of Exploration and of Empire. There's no career progression because it's not a career. It's what they used to call "knocking from pillar to post," a lifestyle of rolling with the punches and always choosing the Road Less Traveled. Think Richard Burton - not the actor, the Arabian Nights guy.

The Entertainment career is similar, but more contemporary. In the creative fields, there isn't a career progression - you don't get promotions, you get gigs! Sometimes it's a good gig in a theater, but sometimes you're working Renaissance Faires, which is what the Round Table Knight represents.

All the careers are pretty silly if you ask me, and the player just has to roll with it and interpret things till they make sense. Rhett Hart in the GS Uberhood is stuck at Concert Pianist until he rolls a want to skill up that last charisma point, and there's no way he is one. But when he started to put on suits and keep daytime hours, it coincided with a transition from one neighborhood in the challenge to another, so I declared that he'd left the record company he'd been with under hostile circumstances, and a lot of people left with him, so they founded their own studio in which he, as the oldest and most experienced of them, got stuck with the lion's share of the admin duty. This fits his character arc neatly, and if he ever does get that last charisma point and make Rock Godhood before he retires, I have a story explanation handy for that, too.

Other characters get other in-story interpretations. Marius Curian of Drama Acres's LTW is expressed as "become Rock God," but his instrument is the violin - he's clearly interested in a classical concert career, and if Drama Acres lasts that long I'll figure it out.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#22 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 5:43 PM
If I were a Sim, I would have chosen the Adventure career Goofy or not, it sounds a lot more exciting than sitting at a desk!
I am actually going to give Sims 3 a compliment - (I need to go and see a shrink after this) - but it is one of the few nice things - that there are more than one musical career and the Sim gets to choose at a point if he is going to go classic or rock. (However, it was no fun when my rock star performed at the theater, the whole family went to support her - and I sat and looked at a building for quite some time. And right after this concert, my one twin was arrested for being out late - with his parents, note. Think I don't need the shrink after all).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:01 PM
I had some fun with the singer career, just wish it hadn't been so buggy.

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Because surely that belongs to a drama/actor career (or show biz). I think they might have put in TV soap star - would've been better than the knight.

As I said, I get the two careers mixed up. It was redundant to have two such similar careers.

~Call me Jo~