Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 11:00 AM
Separating parents from child: Have I caused corruption?
Currently, I'm creating my own townies by making normal sims and turning them into townies using the teleporter shrub. I'm sure I'm doing everything correctly, but I think I've done something that could potentially corrupt my neighbourhood.

While I made adult sims to become townies, I also made teenage sims. For teenage sims to be added to a household and played as, they must have a parent. So, in order for them to be able to be playable on the lot, I made a random adult in the household their parent. After I made them both townies, I was going to remove their family ties using SimPe. However, when it came to making them either townies or downtownies, I made the parent a downtownie and the teenager a townie. When it came to removing their family ties, I realised that they're in two separate townie household, as one sim is in Downtown and the other one is in the main neighbourhood. They aren't related, which is what I wanted, but I think because I separated them unknowingly I've created corruption as there are probably still wants and memories related to parenthood attached to either sim.

Am I totally wrong? Is there nothing wrong with what I've done, will they still function as non-related sims, and should I just leave it? Or have I corrupted my neighbourhood for the one billionth time and need to restart?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 11:42 AM
Nope - there's nothing in that. Townies aren't generally related to one another but are treated as singletons. Having said that, I reinstated family relationships with SimPE when I created my townies both for Little Carping and Polgannon. I mean, that's a thing and you can do that. When you move in a townie to become playable, the game strips all memories and other stuff off the sim anyway (I'm not sure what it does about family relationships but I imagine they disappear too - it does happen with adoption, for instance, which is another type of townie (adoptee), albeit a special one).

Incidentally, this type of question should be posted in the help section.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#3 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 12:24 PM
I know the Tricou teens remain related to each other when you make them playable, and the same thing happened with the Newsons when I aged them all up to teens and made them townies.

As for the original question, townie memories get wiped once they're made playable and wants get rerolled, so I doubt there'll be any issues with that. And all the wants and memories are attached to regular sims anyways, so even if you end up with, say, a townie remembering they gave birth to a teen that was made playable and died several generations ago, the game still wouldn't see anything wrong with it.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 1:46 PM Last edited by maxon : 25th Mar 2016 at 8:28 PM.
The Tricou's may be a special case but you're probably right Ovenhole.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Mar 2016 at 2:44 AM
Thanks so much for the information! I'm going to restart my town anyway because I messed up a bit with the townie process so I'm going to do it again. Just confirming: so, when I make a random sim in the household the parent of a teen, and then I make the adult and downtownie and the teen a normal townie, will their family ties be automatically destroyed, which is what I want? I also have a mod that makes townies keep their memories when moved in. Should I delete the mod as well? Thanks again.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Mar 2016 at 3:17 AM
The family ties will stay but they won't hurt anything. You can easily undo any family ties you like with SimPE.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#7 Old 26th Mar 2016 at 10:39 AM
There's a link in my signature on how to avoid corruption.
k6ka also has quite a number of relevant links in his, too.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 26th Mar 2016 at 11:44 AM Last edited by maxon : 26th Mar 2016 at 4:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by animated
Thanks so much for the information! I'm going to restart my town anyway because I messed up a bit with the townie process so I'm going to do it again. Just confirming: so, when I make a random sim in the household the parent of a teen, and then I make the adult and downtownie and the teen a normal townie, will their family ties be automatically destroyed, which is what I want? I also have a mod that makes townies keep their memories when moved in. Should I delete the mod as well? Thanks again.

I guess it's up to you. It seems that for some people relationships don't disappear. My experience with Polgannon was that I had to reinstate them though that might just be one case and the way I did it. If you don't want the relationships to persist, you can either use SimBlender in game or SimPE out of game to change/remove them. The thing is you can do this at any time so maybe try to make them a townie and see what happens to their relationship. If it persists, use SimPE to set it to no relationship.

I would remove the mod for the memories for the time being if you are planning to upload the hood. Otherwise, that depends on what you want. They don't lose memories when you make them into townies, only when you move them in to become playable from being a townie. Just thought to add: what does happen - and sometimes not every time - when you make them a townie is that they get the mystery sim memories. I usually delete those again.

Alchemist
#9 Old 26th Mar 2016 at 11:21 PM
I generally sever family ties before making a playable character into a townie (or NPC); but the order of the steps does not really matter.
and I generally do both with insimenator; but the means of each step does not really matter.