Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 4:37 PM
Default Keeping the Sclera White When Recoloring? (Photoshop)
I recently got Photoshop CS2 so I can make my own recolors of everything and stick to a strict theme in my game. But for the eyes specifically, the actions I'm using thankfully do most, of not all the work for me, but it changes the color of everything, whites of the eyes included. Surely there must be an easier way than to use the magic eraser tool around recolor, I hope. :D

In the after photo, the catchlight was somewhat untouched because of a mask, but it still has that reddish tint to it.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 5:12 PM
You need to use a layer mask where you mark the places you don't want to color. That way you only have to do the erasing and editing once, and if you need to make an adjustment you can technically do so to all the textures at once by editing just one layer.

The easiest way is to have two documents open. In the "mask document" you have a background layer and a mask layer where everything you want to show is colored white and everything you want to hide is colored black in the mask (greytones allow for transparency). In the "action document" you have the eye file and run the actions on this.

After you have run an action in the "action document", you drag-and-drop that layer over to the "mask document" with the mask layer on top (It's either hold and SHIFT or CTRL to drop it in the exact middle). Then you go back to the "action document", reset it in the "history" panel, and run a new action.

I do suggest naming all the layers so you know which is which, and saving the "mask document" as a PSD file outside the Projects folder.

Then you can open Bodyshop, move all the layers from the "mask document" over, and remove the colored layers one by one while making the files.

(Of course, you can do variants of this method - I sometimes do all of this while working in Bodyshop while having the project texture open, too).

And make sure you're working with a 512x512 sized texture so it matches the face, or Bodyshop will throw a tantrum (I'm guessing you resized the ones you posted, but covering all bases )