Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 5:29 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims Keep Spontaneously Catching Fire?
So, in my current neighbourhood I have one household where sims keep randomly catching fire.

There is no fire visible anywhere on the lot, but when I put a fire alarm outside it constantly goes off. The fire brigade arrive, can't see a fire, and leave, telling the household to "be more careful next time".

It almost always happens when my sims are outside (sometimes when they've just returned from work and are standing by the mailbox, other times when they are outside fishing or doing other activities). So I thought that perhaps there was an invisible fire somewhere near the mailbox, perhaps caused by a tree/shrub fire that hadn't gone out properly. I used Pescado's stuck object remover to get rid of the two shrubs (the climbing ivy thing) that are near to the front door, and when one of them was "burninated (Pescado's word, not mine!) the stuck object remover indicated that it had also deleted an invisible fire from that tile. I also used stuck object removers on some other nearby tiles, and they didn't find any more invisible fire to burninate.

But my sims are still catching fire! I tried to place more stuck object removers near to where the shrub was originally located, on the basis that there may be more invisible fire nearby, but then my game froze and I had to open Task Manager to close it down as it had completely stopped responding.

My game is fully patched (I checked, and did the rest of the Game Problem FAQ as well). Are there any other things that I could try before I move the household out and into another lot? I hope that that will solve the problem, but I don't want them to have to move unless they absolutely have to - I only just moved them to this house! :-( Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 5:33 PM
If you have Seasons, are the sims getting too hot? If sims do get to hot, they can spontaneously combust (or just get a heatstroke, if you're lucky). And do you happen to have a hot tub on the lot? Those will heat up the sim more. I've even had a few sims combust directly after leaving a hot tub. I got so annoyed at this, I installed a mod that keeps sims from overheating: http://www.modthesims.info/d/452260. Particularly nice to have if you've got neighborhoods with lots of summer.

Could also be things like a stuck tree fire.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you have Seasons, are the sims getting too hot? If sims do get to hot, they can spontaneously combust (or just get a heatstroke, if you're lucky). And do you happen to have a hot tub on the lot? Those will heat up the sim more. I've even had a few sims combust directly after leaving a hot tub. I got so annoyed at this, I installed a mod that keeps sims from overheating: http://www.modthesims.info/d/452260

Could also be things like a stuck tree fire.

No, they're not hot - they're catching fire when their temperature bar is green. Thank you for suggesting it though, I forgot to mention it in my original post :-)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 5:44 PM
Could be other stuck fires somewhere else on the lot. Maybe select a random object in Buy mode, and hover it around. If it turns red in an otherwise empty area, you might have found the problem area.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 5:47 PM
Get BO's "BO - No Sim Loaded: Remove a lot of junk controllers, tokens, and other broken stuff, without the need for a Batbox" go into the lot make 1 small change save exit game and then try it.
http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=7875.0

If the problem is still happening then get the bat box and try it to fix your problem.

If these 2 option don't work then you will need to move your sims out place them on an empty lot go in and make a change then move them back to there home lot.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 5:58 PM
I already have No Sim Loaded and I am still having this problem. From looking at the mod description it doesn't mention invisible fires as one of the things that it checks for?

I do have the Batbox in my game, but I don't know which option to use to try to fix this problem. I tried a few that looked plausible, but no luck! Do you know which option(s) I would need to use to try to fix this?

If all else fails I guess I'll just have to move them in and out again!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 6:54 PM
I had a similar problem years ago in my first attempted legacy. I had the climbing ivy thing too, and at the time I remember finding others online saying it was sort of prone to causing invisible fires. But my kids would catch fire after walking past it (it was sort of beside the front door). My one boy caught fire in the bathroom and the girl caught fire in the greenhouse. I think I got rid of the ivy, but I don't remember if that fixed the problem - I stopped playing that family before the 2nd generation became teens. Sorry if that's not much help, but the one thing I learned from my experience was to never use that ivy thing!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 6:55 PM
The batbox is situation senstive in some cases. I think if there were a stuck fire emitter on the lot, you'd find an option to nuke it (though the Nuke options might be a place to look).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 8:30 PM
My guess is you have already done everything that the rest of would have done Laura. I know your game is patched etc so that seems pointless to mention. I still wouldn't put it passed there being still some odd tile with an invisible fire. At this point I think I'd be moving them all out and hope that clears the lot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 9:29 PM
I tried all of the things that people suggested on here (thank you for all the suggestions, everyone!) but no luck - every time Cliff Notes and Sara Bellum got home from work, Cliff caught fire (and generally died, even though Sara kept trying to put the fire out).

So I moved them out and into a copy of the lot (with the ivy removed!) and they've all managed a day at work without catching fire on return, so hopefully the problem is solved! :-D

PS: I love the fact that someone clicked "Love" on my original post about my sims spontaneously catching fire! :-D My poor simmies! :-P
Theorist
#11 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 12:56 AM
Simanipulator has an option to delete all fires. I use it on puddles sometimes and it works, haven't had the fire problem.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.