Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2016 at 2:38 AM Last edited by AuzzPanda : 20th Jul 2016 at 5:56 PM.
Default UV Mapping Going Under (Solved)
Helloo,

I did something wrong with the mesh. I'm not sure, but no matter how much pulling and twisting and rotating and scaling I did, I can't seem to be able to make the scalp's texture as, uuh, ''HD?'' as the rest. So it's because it's not as spread as the other planes, and I do not seem to be able to make it right without messing up the rest of the texture.

Thai'nks :D
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 7th Jul 2016 at 2:57 AM
In the UV editor pull up the properties menu (N) and click stretch. That will indicate how much stretching there are in the UVs. Blue to red, where blue mean least/no stretch and red means most stretched. You can also use the uv grid (New Image - Choose UV Grid for Generated Type). That help you see how the UVs are going.

You should add UV seams to try to get the map as flat as possible.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jul 2016 at 7:29 PM Last edited by AuzzPanda : 9th Jul 2016 at 10:27 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Surei
In the UV editor pull up the properties menu (N) and click stretch. That will indicate how much stretching there are in the UVs. Blue to red, where blue mean least/no stretch and red means most stretched. You can also use the uv grid (New Image - Choose UV Grid for Generated Type). That help you see how the UVs are going.

You should add UV seams to try to get the map as flat as possible.

Ooh, that's a good one! It really helps!
I don't quite know how to do it without making it stretched though.

It's forcing me to keep it on it's original state. And at the top (Scalp) They're all really tight, making the texture at the top nothing more but a colour with no detail.
Thanks

Also, would you know how to NOT select faces that are out of sight while meshing?
Edit: I found the ''hide layers that are not visible'' thing in the menu at the bottom of the screen, but what ever mode I switch to, it still won't work lol. Ah well.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 10:29 PM Last edited by AuzzPanda : 10th Jul 2016 at 2:22 AM.
Hm, since I keep making changes in the UV, and I can't do it in milkshape, where all of the bones are assigned, I'm trying to import those MS groups into blender (Replace them. Same ones in blender except with bones.) But I keep on getting errors when I try to import it.

Do you think it would be a good idea to use this plugin? https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/...ilkShape3D_MS3D
That way I could use my Milkshape saves (Witch is the exact same except I have the bones assigned) in Blender.

Okay... LOL

Well it doesn't work also because it all merged into one group...
On the bright side it DID keep all of the bone assignments!
Buuut let's not forget that it's flying in mid air haha.

Edit: After looking at the default location and rotation, I was able to get it on the ground (By deleting a wierd group that looked like a cross. I hope it wasn't important) and smack in the middle.
Still it is only in 1 group.
Of course the easiest thing would be to just learn the weight's in blender.

Well anyways 1 thing at a time, and right now I must fix that UV mapping thing-a-ma-jig
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 11:59 PM
Using the MS3D plugin, bad idea. Support for weights are not good.

Can you explain with kind of errors you're getting in more detail. Are you have problems importing into Blender or Milkshape? What format are you using to import/export?

If you're importing multiple SMDs into Blender the skeleton has to be visible.

If importing SMDs into Milkshape "rename bones" must be unchecked.

If going from the package file to MS, just use the GMDC importer like you normally would.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 2:25 AM
Using the MS3D plugin, bad idea. Support for weights are not good.

Can you explain with kind of errors you're getting in more detail. Are you have problems importing into Blender or Milkshape? What format are you using to import/export?

If you're importing multiple SMDs into Blender the skeleton has to be visible.

If importing SMDs into Milkshape "rename bones" must be unchecked.

If going from the package file to MS, just use the GMDC importer like you normally would.

Yep, that was it. The skeleton had to be showing.
Again though, even with smd, all of the groups got merged into one. (This was the export from MS)

Should I export them from MS seperately?
I tried to import it from SimPE, however I would get an error.

I feel like I'm not making sense. What I am trying to do is import the mesh either from MS or SimPE, because that's where I have all of the joints assigned. Of course it would be easier if I just learned how to assign them in blender, but it's so simple in MS...
Thanks
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 3:29 AM
Okay, now I understand. Yes, you must export the mesh from MS one group at a time. Delete all groups but one, export, and undo deletions. Repeat until all groups are exported. You can separate in blender (Select Linked/L key is very useful), but yeah it's better to export separately.

As for exporting SMD from SimPE, take a look at this. SMD from SimPE to Blender won't work directly, Blender to SimPE does. You can go: SimPE > MS > Blender > SimPE.

Where are the rest of the vertex groups? Hair that long needs to be weighted to the neck and spines to deform properly. Edit: Nevermind, I see that you were doing a search.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 6:49 PM
Okay, now I understand. Yes, you must export the mesh from MS one group at a time. Delete all groups but one, export, and undo deletions. Repeat until all groups are exported. You can separate in blender (Select Linked/L key is very useful), but yeah it's better to export separately.

As for exporting SMD from SimPE, take a look at this. SMD from SimPE to Blender won't work directly, Blender to SimPE does. You can go: SimPE > MS > Blender > SimPE.

Where are the rest of the vertex groups? Hair that long needs to be weighted to the neck and spines to deform properly. Edit: Nevermind, I see that you were doing a search.

Perfect! Thanks!
And yeah it has more than that. I don't know where to look, but there's head, neck, spine1, spine2 and some b,f,l,r hairs.

Is there a way I can edit the UV map to affect both the alpha 5 & 3? Or if I duplicate one, will the joints appear on said duplicate?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 7:47 PM
There's a option to do a data transfer, but yes it's easier to just work on one and duplicate. It will keep the same information.

You may also want to look up the difference between alt + d and shift + d in blender.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 9:23 PM Last edited by AuzzPanda : 11th Jul 2016 at 10:31 PM.
There's a option to do a data transfer, but yes it's easier to just work on one and duplicate. It will keep the same information.

You may also want to look up the difference between alt + d and shift + d in blender.

Oooh okay so the idea would be alt+d. that's an awesome tip, thanks!

Oh wow in that case I'm just about done! I just need to fix the UV mapping bit.
I tried making seams, but that would make it mis-match with the rest. Is there any way I could just make the whole UV a rectangle without changing the mesh lol

(Edit: On a side note, I did realize that you can assign joints in blender by selecting a group of vertices! I held it off because 1) It's not AS nice as MS because it's not like (That I know of) you can choose 4 different joints and assign their percentage, you would have to go writing it down since it's only 1 at a time. 2) Cuz I already had the joints assigned
3) Because I didn't know about the ALT+D thing! Now I do hehehe)
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 2:55 AM
Not sure why anything would have to be written down. The selection and weight would stay the same as you select the groups and assign. Unless, I'm misunderstanding something. Are you talking about something like multi-paint?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 5:06 PM Last edited by AuzzPanda : 12th Jul 2016 at 6:01 PM.
Not sure why anything would have to be written down. The selection and weight would stay the same as you select the groups and assign. Unless, I'm misunderstanding something. Are you talking about something like multi-paint?

No no, just the select and assign. I'm thinking it over too much...
It's like you said.

So yeah what's only left is the UV mapping. *happy dance * haha
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 7:55 PM
Try this:
1. Convert tris to quads
2. Mark seams to mimic hair strips. Make them as rectangular as possible.
3. Unwrap
4. Straighten islands by resetting UVs and follow active quads. (Look up how to unwrap by follow active quads)
5. Position UV islands to match texture.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 10:31 PM
Try this:
1. Convert tris to quads
2. Mark seams to mimic hair strips. Make them as rectangular as possible.
3. Unwrap
4. Straighten islands by resetting UVs and follow active quads. (Look up how to unwrap by follow active quads)
5. Position UV islands to match texture.

Alright, I'll try that! Awesome!

One other thing, I completely forgot that ALT+D would also make them in sync! So now I try to flip one's normals, the other's does it too. I couldn't do SHIFT+D because I'd loose all the joints and what not. Can I un-syncronize them or something?

Actually I think I'll just export one half with it's normals, and then delete them and export the other half.
Edit: I found you can click a little ''X'' at the bottom of the screen that seperates them, I'm worried it will get rid of the joints and UV though?

Also gotta try your steps
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 12:56 AM Last edited by AuzzPanda : 14th Jul 2016 at 9:57 PM.
One last thing,

When I go into elders, the grey hair DOES show up, but it shows up in all the colours (WHAA)
I mean, the 4 default colours, show up in grey, but the 4 show up, not just 1 grey. SO in the end, the very same hairstyle is repeated 4 times.
Does that make any sense 0_o

So every hair texture that I made, which are the default 4, have the same grey version for elders. But when you use an elder and go on hairstyles, those 4 grey hairstyles show up, instead of 1 .
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 5:55 PM Last edited by AuzzPanda : 22nd Jul 2016 at 3:25 PM.
Edit: AH, alas, it is done by making each colour's ''flag'' into 0x00000009 except one, which you leave at 0x00000000! :D