Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 8:24 PM
Default Children in my game has either mom or dad's face.. bug?
Hi everyone, I just noticed that children in my Sims 3 has either mom or dad's face. They no longer get a mixture of both parents' genetics.. Is this a bug or what?

formerly known as DollyL
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 10:20 PM
Many people have this problem, including me. There's no real prevention for it. For a fix, Master Controller (and perhaps Story Progression?) give you the option to Play With Genetics, which fixes this issue.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 11:05 PM
TS3's genetics really fucking suck.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MistressTiffany
Many people have this problem, including me. There's no real prevention for it. For a fix, Master Controller (and perhaps Story Progression?) give you the option to Play With Genetics, which fixes this issue.

Thanks.. i'm gonna check it now.

formerly known as DollyL
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Aug 2015 at 12:05 AM
It isn't working for me,, I changed a kid's appearence in Play with genetics and then checked it in CAS, nope.her face has only changed to the other parent's face.

formerly known as DollyL
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Aug 2015 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TanyaTurner
It isn't working for me,, I changed a kid's appearence in Play with genetics and then checked it in CAS, nope.her face has only changed to the other parent's face.

In order to benefit from Advanced Genetics, you need to have StoryProgression and its SP Extra and SP Population modules in place. Otherwise when you re-roll with MasterController's Play With Genetics, you are only getting combinations (if you can call them that) from the EA system.

Do you have all the SP ingredients in play and is Advanced Genetics switched on? On City Hall or an in-game computer,
NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Pregnancy > Advanced Genetics > True
(and take a look at the other related settings on that menu that open up once you have the above)

Even with all of the above, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 re-rolls before I get something that looks like a proper blend rather than a parental clone. But I always peek ahead in Play With Genetics to see what they will look like as a teen or YA while I'm there. It's usually pretty obvious when the cloning stops and the blending really happens.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 7:28 PM
Hi Igazor,

Sorry i haven't had the chance to play Sims 3 during the weekend, anyway I tried what you said but it still doesn't work. I also tried to remove Awesomemod but the bug doesn't seeem to go away.

Anybody here know what SP: Chance of Part Inheritance does?

formerly known as DollyL
Instructor
#8 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 9:53 PM
Anybody here know what SP: Chance of Part Inheritance does?

The percent chance of birthmarks or freckles being inherited to the a child from its parents.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 10:50 PM Last edited by igazor : 17th Aug 2015 at 11:02 PM.
Hi Igazor,

Sorry i haven't had the chance to play Sims 3 during the weekend, anyway I tried what you said but it still doesn't work. I also tried to remove Awesomemod but the bug doesn't seeem to go away.

It's been a couple years now, but as I recall AwesomeMod has its own genetics function. I don't remember if it gets in the way of SP's (or vice versa).

But just to make sure I understand, with Advanced Genetics activated you bring a sim into PwG and no matter how many times you re-roll within the same PwG session, without leaving the screen, you only get more clones of either parent?

Strange. Even if your sim only had one parent and no one else showing on their family tree, there should still be some random variations happening after a couple of re-rolls.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 9:33 PM Last edited by TanyaTurner : 23rd Aug 2015 at 3:11 PM.
In my game children get a clone of either parent's face. They no longer get both parents facial features. but they can still have dad's weight, hair color and mom's face, eye color for example.

This happens in Play with genetics as well, they still don't get both parents' facial features even when I re-roll. It's weird.

Quote: Originally posted by MistressTiffany
The percent chance of birthmarks or freckles being inherited to the a child from its parents.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

formerly known as DollyL
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 3:09 PM Last edited by TanyaTurner : 23rd Aug 2015 at 4:35 PM.
I wonder if there is anyone here who still has children with both parent's facial features in the game?

Edit: I created a new family in a new neighborhood. I made the wife give birth to a boy and It turned out that the baby has both parents facial features. so the conclusion is that the Landgraab family I play or their neighborhood is bugged.

formerly known as DollyL
Mad Poster
#12 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
TS3's genetics really f***ing suck.

Yep. If TS3 had TS2-style memories and genetics, I'd enjoy it that much more. As it is I turn off memories completely in TS3.

In TS2 you can tweak the genetics using SimPE. I love that!

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Scholar
#13 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 12:25 AM Last edited by kattenijin : 26th Aug 2015 at 12:37 AM.
If I recall correctly, this should only happen to the first-born child. It isn't really a bug, but the result of crappy code; a bug being the code is being messed with, but this being that the code itself is messy and poorly implemented. This may however be Sims 2, as I recall issues with that genetic system too.....

Wait! I looked, I found! : http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Pregnancy . Look for the section " Rolling the Pacifier and Firstborn Syndrome " (This is for Sims 2, but may point in the direction of what to try in Sims 3)

Here is the Sims 3 section: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ims_3_Pregnancy

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 12:43 AM
I was getting some really good blends, esp in townies generated from my sim bin using the steps here: http://realsims3.weebly.com/how-to-...-different.html
I have both awesome mod and SP with the Extras and Population. Haven't checked to see if Advanced Genetics is set to true. Will check on that, thanks!