Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 9:27 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Custom content not appearing in downloaded lots
OK so, basically, I have recently downloaded the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection via Origin. I've actually been playing Sims 2 for years with every EP up until FT and decided that downloading this new Ultimate Collection with every pack ever released would be awesome.. I also decided to start fresh with all of my game and custom content so I didn't transfer any of my old files into the new UC game.

My problem is that custom content will just not show in any custom lots I have downloaded! The odd thing about this is is that I have no problems whatsoever with actually installing and using custom content I've downloaded myself in game (so I've downloaded custom sims, hairs, skins, objects, build mode bits etc). It all shows in the catalogue and works correctly in game. So, for example, I have attempted to download a few nice looking residential and community lots off this site. I download them, use the Clean Installer to install them (and yes, I don't use the default path and make sure that the files are being installed into the correct teleport folder) and then when I run the game, they show up perfectly fine in the Lots catalogue and I'm able to place them in my hood with no problems whatsoever. The problems begin when I enter the lots. EVERY piece of custom content that comes packaged with the lot doesn't show up!!! Instead, sitting in its place will be loads of Maxis items that I suspect the individual bits of CC are cloned from. So for example, if a lot is meant to have a custom desk with lots of pretty little bits of CC clutter all over it all that will show is a Maxis desk with tons of ridiculous looking fruit bowls or vases from the original game.

I know for certain that this has something to do with the Ultimate Collection as in all my years of playing with Sims 2 I have never encountered any problems like this with installing custom lots. I'm thinking it may also have something to do with the way the Clean Installer handles the CC that comes packaged with the lot but I'm not really too knowledgeable or experienced in this area lol.

I have searched the internet all over and read all the FAQs for answers as to why this is happening but can't find an answer. If somebody could shed some light on the situation for me it would be a massive help!!! Theoretically I could live without custom lots but HEY sometimes I just can't be bothered to make pretty houses and want to mooch off someone else's creativity, hahaha.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 2:08 AM
I have downloaded only one lot. It came with CI file and folder with CC. Folder contains all custom inventory. I used CI to install a lot and manually moved folder with CC into downloads. Hope it helps.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 2:17 AM
After you've installed the lot, make sure the included CC actually shows up in the Download folder. If it doesn't, it won't show up ingame. You might have to set the path manually for the CI to find the Downloads folder (explanation is somewhere around pg 19-21 in the comments for the CI).

Quote:
Mootilda:
Edit the S2PCI.ini file using Notepad and add the full path to your Sims 2 folder to the line starting with SaveGamePath. For example, change:
SaveGamePath=
to:
SaveGamePath="C:\Users\<userid>\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2"

After that, the default should always be correct.

(or whatever path the UC has)

You should also make sure that you have meshes that might be needed. Some house creators are very sloppy with what they actually include with the lot, while others will just delete all CC so that everything is replaced with EAxis objects. If you've just installed the UC, make sure you've enabled CC properly. Doesn't hurt to check.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
After you've installed the lot, make sure the included CC actually shows up in the Download folder. If it doesn't, it won't show up ingame. You might have to set the path manually for the CI to find the Downloads folder (explanation is somewhere around pg 19-21 in the comments for the CI).

(or whatever path the UC has)

You should also make sure that you have meshes that might be needed. Some house creators are very sloppy with what they actually include with the lot, while others will just delete all CC so that everything is replaced with EAxis objects. If you've just installed the UC, make sure you've enabled CC properly. Doesn't hurt to check.

I've already done all of this, and redid it all just now just to make sure. I've downloaded a furnished lot with CC to test this and have properly installed it using the CI, making sure that it extracts to the Teleport folder of my UC game and the CC goes into downloads.

Actually, what I've discovered to be the problem now is WHERE the CC is saved in the the downloads folder. It appears perfectly fine if it's all just dumped directly in the downloads folder, but the minute you move it to a subfolder it doesn't show in the lot anymore. What I don't understand about this is that all the other CC I've downloaded is stored neatly in subfolders and has no problems working/appearing in game. Is there anyway to fix this? My reason for starting from scratch was to start with a clean downloads folder and organise my stuff as I went along rather than ending up with 6 billion million trillion random files sitting in a huge unorganised mess. SO FRUSTRATING!
Theorist
#5 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 4:27 PM
You could download all the included cc separately, install it where you want it in your Downloads folder (including in subfolders), and remove all the included cc with CleanInstaller when you install the lot. If it's already in your downloads folder, it will still show up in the lot, even if you removed the item that came packaged with the lot.

Kind of a pain in the rear, but better than 1,000,000,000,005 random unorganized gibberish-named files in your Downloads folder that you can't even move or organize.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
You could download all the included cc separately, install it where you want it in your Downloads folder (including in subfolders), and remove all the included cc with CleanInstaller when you install the lot. If it's already in your downloads folder, it will still show up in the lot, even if you removed the item that came packaged with the lot.

Kind of a pain in the rear, but better than 1,000,000,000,005 random unorganized gibberish-named files in your Downloads folder that you can't even move or organize.

Yeah, that's an idea. I guess it'll also give me the option to leave out any CC from the lots I don't want. Just such a pain that UC won't behave like the regular Sims 2 games since in all my years of playing I never had any issues with custom lots. But yeah great idea, thanks