Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 12:48 PM
Default Best program for hair meshing???
I was working on hair meshing few days ago, and I found out that milkshape3D wasn't really up to meshing hairs (Or it could just be my terrible meshing skills XD). So, could anyone reccomand me a free and easy to use 3D program for meshing hairs?

Check out my blog ! You'll find items that I was too lazy to upload on the MTS XD.

Warning! This is not an English blog! However, the 'Sims3Downloads' section is written in English :D.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 12:58 PM
I've meshed all my hairs in Milkshape and haven't had any trouble with it. It's a little primitive in terms of functions available but as long as you have your hair planned well, that shouldn't really be a limitation. It's a very hands-on process - you modify specific vertices and shape it slowly into the hair pieces you want. It just takes some getting used to - nobody's born a hair mesher - everyone has to practice.

I know a lot of hair meshers use 3DS Max to make the shapes and then import into Milkshape for the bone assignments, but you have to be very careful not to make too high-poly a mesh that way - it's easy to end up with a 12k poly mesh doing that, and it's very hard to reduce. Oh, and, um, it's not exactly a cheap program.

My recommendation: Learn to work with planes in Milkshape. Draw your hair on paper and try to divide it into the planes and shapes that you're going to need to make it, and then decide how many horizontal/vertical divisions each piece needs to make it smooth, but not -too- smooth. Remember, you're looking at it WAY closer in your 3D editor than anyone ever will in-game so if it looks slightly blocky/faceted in your 3D editor, it'll probably look fine in-game. Get to know Milkshape better - F1/F2/F3 are REALLY useful keys to speed up your meshing.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 3:01 PM
Thanks for answering I actually made a quite good looking mesh with milkshape after I've posted this question, but I'm having trouble texturing it XD. I'll probably ask a question on texturing on this forum.

Check out my blog ! You'll find items that I was too lazy to upload on the MTS XD.

Warning! This is not an English blog! However, the 'Sims3Downloads' section is written in English :D.