Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2014 at 11:13 AM
Default Hardware Optimised for the Sims 3?
Hi, I'm looking for hardware that is specifically optimised for the Sims 3. From my experiences, the game can't make use of any of my system's resources (as perceived by the extreme amount of lag), and I'm wondering what hardware would be needed to be able to properly run the Sims 3. I suffer from severe stuttering issues, where every few seconds on the max fast forward speed the game will freeze for a second, or 5 (background animations still run, sound is still there). The sims 2 is practically unplayable due to lag.

My current hardware as is follows:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz
GPU1: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 @ 1125/1520 (Crossfire)
GPU2: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 @ 1125/1520 (Crossfire)
RAM: 32GB (8x4) GSkills Ripjaws 1600MHz
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Sims is installed on this drive. It also acts as my boot drive)
SSD2: Kingston SSDNow V+200 Enterprise 240GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PSU: Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250w
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2014 at 11:52 AM
What resolution are you playing at? What kind of fps are you getting with the sims 2 when you say you're lagging? Do you still get the same problem if you run only one GPU?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 6:43 AM
1920x1080, the last time I checked performance with the Sims 2 was a year ago and I didn't have an FPS counter up (nor did I disable one GPU). As for the sims 3, I'm getting an excess of 200fps on max settings.
My main problem is with the Sims 3, not the Sims 2. I'm also using one of the top consumer grade SSDs which rules out any read/write timing issues.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 9:26 AM
I think TS3 may have problems with crossfire. I got similar chug-lag-chug-lag issues when I had dual graphics. The rest of your system looks totally fine (and NICE, holy shit).

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 12:21 PM
Hmm, I don't think Crossfire is the problem with the animation/movement/everything stutter issues as the background animations continue running just fine... And the same issue exists on my other PC which is running an i5 2500k at stock alongside a single GTX 570.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 1:59 PM
That is what I call the travel bug that has been in Sims 3 from when "World Adventures" came out and EA/Maxis has refuse to fix.
You have 1 or more Sims in the back ground that is stuck and cant get home or some thing. The game is trying to reset them instead of moving them home so they stay stuck.

The longer you play the worst it will get. I gave up on Sims 3 just for this reason.

Some say that one of Twallan mods from http://nraas.wikispaces.com/ may fix it but I don't remember which one it is.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 2:39 PM
Oh also, I use most of the NRaas mods. Some of which supposedly help improve performance.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 7:35 AM
These computer is insanely overkill for even sims 4.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 30th Mar 2014 at 12:48 PM
You should also get ellacharmed's fixes for EA world routing. They don't completely resolve that issue, but they do make a big difference. Honestly, though, TS3 doesn't run smoothly no matter what hardware you've got.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.