Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2008 at 5:01 AM
Default House of Ages Cycle Two: Closed due to lack of interest
This contest belongs in House.

Description: When you went through the mail today, there was the following letter:

Dear Sir or Madame,

After a great deal of research, it has come to our attention that you may be eligible to inherit a shop, with attached living accomodations belonging to your recently departed Great-Aunt. One of the conditions to inherit is to provide a historical family background of said shop, complete with pictures and biography.

The Firm of Dewwy,Cheatem, and Howe LLP

Your job is to build and decorate the home/shop and lot, as outlined in each round, also writing a short paragraph about the home/shop and family. Please have up to 8 pictures per round: Lot over-view (not top-down, just showing the whole lot), one top-down of each floor, up to 5 showcasing features of home/shop. You may use use a collage of up to 4 smaller pics per photo for the "showcase" photos.

Rules:
  1. One entry per contestant
  2. There will be no eleminations
  3. Custom content is allowed
  4. NO photoshopping, except for collage photos.
  5. Be polite
  6. Please also have one "family heirloom" object. This object needs to be on the lot for each round.

Dates:

Applications: 1890's, The Gilded Age: July 23 to July 28
Round 1: 1920's, Le Jazz Hot!: July 29 to August 3
Round 2: 1950's, Duck and Cover, Who's got "The Bomb" : August 4 to August 9
Round 3: 1980's, I want my MTV : August 10 to August 15
Round 4: 2010's, Going Green: August 16 to August 21

All rounds will end at 11:59:59 PM GMT-5

Judges:

Judge 1: PuX- 80's
Judge 2: omgitsashley
Judge 3:

EJ1:Me
EJ2:

Scores will be based on: 1) Correctness of lot to time period (40%), 2) Storytelling (20%), 3) Beauty/Creativity (40%)

Prizes:
3rd place will receive 1 house of their choice, 2nd place 2 houses of choice, and 1st will receive all three. If anyone would like to furnish additional prizes please feel free.

Lot 1:

Lot 2:

Lot 3:
Coming soon

Contestants:

1) CisteCaise
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:

1)Download base lot, build and decorate home/shop and lot:

The lot was created with the Lot Adjuster, and the outer two tiles are non-editable. I also used 4 or 5 of Numenor's Unlevel walls. It was built with all EPs and SPs through Ikea Stuff, but will most likely work for most configurations as it is just walls, foundation, a base-game wood floor and concrete floor, and the concrete stairs. It has been cleaned with Clean Installer. If you prefer, you may build your own, PM me for dimensions.

The lower level will be the shop, and the upper will be the living quarters. You may use some of the first level for Family space, but at least 2/3 must be the shop and stock room. Currently the basement is for "looks" only. You may decorate it as storage if you wish, and add inside access. The roof style is your choice. Note that the building abutts the building to it's right, so no windows on that wall. Also, only ONE bathroom that must share a wall with the kitchen sink, indoor plumbing is still fairly new.

2) Write a short paragraph about the home and family. Please mention in your paragraph what the heirloom object is.

Example: The child of German immigrants, Joseph Reinhardt married his wife, Anna Dumas - a child of Canadian immigrants, in Fond du Lac, WI on November 23, 1889. Joseph opened the doors to his store in Eden Township just in time for the birth of their first child, George, in the fall of 1890. By 1896, they had 4 children, two boys and two girls. The heirloom object is the porcelain pitcher and wash bowl, it was brought over by Joseph's grandparents and given to him by his mother on his wedding day.

The paragraph should be about the family living in the home in the time-period of the round not the family "currently" inheriting the home.

The Gilded Age

In American history, the "Gilded Age" refers to major growth in population in the United States and extravagant displays of wealth and excess of America's upper-class during the post-Civil War and post-Reconstruction era, in the late 19th century (1877-1890). The wealth polarization derived primarily from industrial and population expansion. The Gilded Age, like gilding the lily (which is already beautiful and not in need of further adornment), was excessive and wasteful -- it was a period characterized by showy displays of wealth and excessive opulence. However, it is important to consider that the Gilded Age was not nearly as wonderful as a flower; a time of despair and dirt was "gilded" by the image of the rich who benefited from industrialization.
The end of the Gilded Age coincided with the Panic of 1893, a deep depression.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 1:10 AM
Contest Approved
Begins 7.20.08
Ends 8.20.08
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Formerly known as boolPropped
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 2:43 AM
GAH!!! I'd thought this wasn't going to be approved as it's been 4 weeks since submission, and was never on the waiting list. I'm not going to be able to start much with it untill Wednesday July 23. I'll try to get the lot file uploaded ASAP so anyone who wishes to enter can have as much time as posible to get an app in. I'll also PM BP to see if I can get a bit of a delay/extension.

retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 2:50 AM
This will be delayed for a few days until kattenijin is ready!

Formerly known as boolPropped
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2008 at 3:03 AM
Ok, I'm ready, and a whole day early too!

Also, the "shop" can be pretty much ANY business apropriate to the time period.

Try:
Grocer, Agricultural Impliments, Hardware, Lawyer, Tailor, Jewler, Drugstore, Ice cream Parlor, Restaraunt, Bakery, Dry goods and Textiles, etc.

Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2008 at 3:54 AM
Quote:
Also, only ONE [i]small[i] bath that must share a wall with the kitchen sink, indoor plumbing is still fairly new.

This contest sounds great, I love building and decorating contests.

One question, as seen in the quote above.

When you say one ''small bath'' ...does that mean 1 tub/bath or is it reference to small bathroom. Meaning the bathroom would include a toilet, sink, and tub...which would all need to be against the same wall.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2008 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FrenchFlutie10
This contest sounds great, I love building and decorating contests.

One question, as seen in the quote above.

When you say one ''small bath'' ...does that mean 1 tub/bath or is it reference to small bathroom. Meaning the bathroom would include a toilet, sink, and tub...which would all need to be against the same wall.

One bathROOM. I kinda re-thought this too, and the space could be larger, as often a spare bedroom would be converted into a bathroom. It still needs to have the plumbing share the wall. You can have the kitchen on one level, and the bath on another, as long as the "plumbing walls" line up. I'll update the main post too.

Field Researcher
#8 Old 24th Jul 2008 at 9:05 PM
Dewwy,Cheatem, and Howe? katt, that's too awesome!

I've started on my application (I noticed the thread was kinda quiet, so I felt that I should pop by and quasi-spam it).

EDIT:

Quick Question:
Are we allowed to add a decorative awning to the building? (e.g. a small awning over the entryway to shield customers from rain/hang signage from)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Jul 2008 at 10:03 PM
You can decorate the exterior as you wish. Don't get too fond of it as there are changes in round 2.

Field Researcher
#10 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 7:40 AM
I'm glad to see this is up and running now, I just downloaded the house and am starting up my game to work on it.

So to the right it is "attached" to another building, but on the left there is a walkway that is outdoors? So the wall there would be the start of another building?
Sorry if that sounds confusing, I'm just trying to understand the layout.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 8:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CiaoAlora
I'm glad to see this is up and running now, I just downloaded the house and am starting up my game to work on it.

So to the right it is "attached" to another building, but on the left there is a walkway that is outdoors? So the wall there would be the start of another building?
Sorry if that sounds confusing, I'm just trying to understand the layout.

The wall on the far left is another building, yes.

Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th Jul 2008 at 12:14 AM
Default Additional pics of Prize lots.
Lot 1:

Lot 2: (lot will not be furnished)

Field Researcher
#13 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 9:37 PM
I've got another quick question (hopefully it will be the last, as I'm almost done):

Do we have to do the basement stair placement for the application round? If we don't place the interior stair access now, will we be prevented from having it in the future?

Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CisteCaise
I've got another quick question (hopefully it will be the last, as I'm almost done):

Do we have to do the basement stair placement for the application round? If we don't place the interior stair access now, will we be prevented from having it in the future?

No, because this time, since I provided the base lot, I know the basements are there. I'm trying to be less strict about the extent of the re-modeling this time around, however, placing the stairs now will probably save you time in the second round (hint hint ).

Field Researcher
#15 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 10:56 PM
Default CisteCaise - Application
1890's, The Gilded Age

Ignatio Martinez-Haya first moved to the Tampa area from Key West in 1886 with his good friend and business partner, Vicente Ybor to set up a cigarmaking industry in the area; Vicente purchased a 40 acre section of swampland and founded Mr. Ybor's City. Within a few years, Mr. Ybor's City began to flourish and become a multi-cultural hotbed of industry.

As the cigar industry began to boom, Ignatio Martinez-Haya helped his son Eduardo Martinez-Haya, who had recently married the lovely Consuela Antuono, purchase his own small cigar and tobacco shop on the growing La Septima Avenida (Seventh Avenue) in 1894. Shortly after his business was established, Eduardo and Consuela had their first child, a young boy they named Vicente, after his father's good friend.

Their family heirloom is a dressmaker's dummy that Eduardo's mother brought with her to America from Cuba; currently Consuela is using the dummy in her small sewing room/nursery.

Lot Overview: Martinez-Haya Cigars

Another Angle of the Front of the Lot

First Floor Overview

Second Floor Overview

Shop Area Collage

Bedrooms Collage

Common Areas Collage

Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 4:46 AM
Well, the app round has closed, and with only one entry, so has the contest.

CisteCaise, I really apreciate you entering, and I'm sorry all your work went for naught.

It appears that design/build contests aren't what people want right now. Hopefully at some point in the future they'll pick up again, and I'll run House of ages Cycle 2 again.

For the other 7 people who downloaded the lot and didn't apply: Tsk! tsk! tsk!

Field Researcher
#17 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 4:39 AM
Aw, it wasn't all for naught; I had a ton of fun working on it! I'll definitely be entering Cycle 2 (and so should other people!!! katt's contests are really fun and creatively challenging!)