Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 5:07 PM
Is there any possible way to add more skintones instead of just replacing the current ones?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#27 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 5:07 PM
Sirius-Chan - Not currently, no.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#28 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 9:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TummyZa
Finally got my hairy simmie.
Some part was blend from yours (especially the eyes and butt... really love that lol)
So I'm gonna ask if it's OK to share at my country site?
I'll link back to your site.

Wow ! That skin is gorgeous (and the sims too ^^) Where could we download it?

I've tried that one, "HP's skin replacemant", but it doesn't look like this one in my game... The chest doesn't look so 'hairy'

Thanks for the answer :D

Ps: Sorry for my bad english... i'm a belgian guy ... nobody's perfect
Test Subject
#29 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 2:58 PM
I've imported the TummyZa skin tone and it looks fantastic, just incredible. But wondering if there could be a more generic hairy skin tone of this hairy sim as the fatter people in the suburb look very weird with a such an athletic physique, especially with such a defined torso. I'd try it myself except I don't even have the artistic ability to draw stick men.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#30 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 3:14 PM
Please keep this thread to discussion of creating your own skintones - if you want to know where to find existing skintones, please use the WCIF forum.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#31 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 11:49 PM
eeek...my bad
Test Subject
#32 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 6:41 AM
aikea guinea, thanks for the tutorial. Umm... I wonder how to extract skintone? I mean if I want to use other's skintones for my base skintone. What program should I use? Thank you very much and sorry if my english isn't good.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 8:33 PM
diamondlight: Use SP3E to open the skintone package file you want to use as your base, highlight everything in it, and use File--Export. This will give you all the dds images.

you stare at my shoulders
are you surprised to see one more devil 
where angel wings should be..?
Test Subject
#34 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 11:51 PM
Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I started out from a modded skintone (Seraphita's) and modified it a bit, making the entire skin (face and body) lighter in the process. Evereything worked out fine

EXCEPT:

Now I get the 'black face' bug for all my sims, where faces are covered by a plain black texture. This does not happen when I don't change the colour values of the skins, but I so want to have paler sims.

Any ideas on what could be the problem, or - much better - how it could be resolved?
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 5:57 AM
Thanks a bunch! I'm trying it out now, super excited! :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Moorkh
Now I get the 'black face' bug for all my sims, where faces are covered by a plain black texture. This does not happen when I don't change the colour values of the skins, but I so want to have paler sims.

Any ideas on what could be the problem, or - much better - how it could be resolved?

Not a clue. I've edited my own skintones to make them paler, and didn't have this problem. My only suggestion is to rebuild your package completely from scratch.

Test Subject
#37 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 7:29 PM
Default weird brown elder textures don't do anything
Quote: Originally posted by derigo
If you look at the EM_dark texture, the color is a totally different dark brown. Completely different from all the other dark textures. That implies to me either 1) they aren't being used and the shadow map is outdated, or 2) they're used as some kind color mask.

I thought this was really weird too, I just ignored these textures all together and just saved the adult dark texture as the elders as well. It worked!

What is a papercat?
Test Subject
#38 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 12:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aikea guinea
diamondlight: Use SP3E to open the skintone package file you want to use as your base, highlight everything in it, and use File--Export. This will give you all the dds images.

Thank you! One more question, if the skintone that I'm going to use as the base is the sims 2 skintone, what program to extract it's dds images? I know that I can get it from TS2 Body Shop, but I've already uninstalled my TS2..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#39 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 5:47 PM
SimPE. When you open the package, you'll see a list on the left hand side; click on "Texture Image," which will bring up a list in the right hand side. Clicking on any of those will bring up an image in the window at the bottom right. Right click on the image and select "Export," then just save the image. They're .png, and you'll have to do some editing to make them suitable for TS3. See this thread for a little more info.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#40 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 7:13 PM
Hi, and thanks for this. Question: do you know of a quick way to create the 'dark' texture in GIMP, similar to what you explained in Photoshop?
Test Subject
#41 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 1:57 PM Last edited by diamondlight : 22nd Jul 2009 at 3:57 PM. Reason: Add some problem with my skintone..
What is dark version for? Is it ok if I didn't make it?

So here it is the skintone I'm trying to make, but I got some problems..

Why the head tone didn't match the face and the body? Where can I edit the head? And there's a weird shadow under the lips, I've tried to fix it but the shadow still there..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 11:18 PM
CmarNYC, I've never used GIMP, so I can't help you with that one. Hopefully someone else will come along who can.

diamondlight, did you change the brightness and/or contrast on the skintone? That will cause the the mismatching; download the scalps from the List of Things You'll Need at the start of this tutorial and edit them accordingly.

The weird shadow is something I just spent the last couple of days getting rid of in my own skintones. I have a few more textures to play around with, and if any of those get rid of it I'll be sure to let you know.

And finally, the 'dark' version kicks in when the slider in CAS goes below a certain point. You can see what it looks like with a totally 'white' skintone ramp in the second picture in this post.

Mother Function
retired moderator
#43 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Hi, and thanks for this. Question: do you know of a quick way to create the 'dark' texture in GIMP, similar to what you explained in Photoshop?

Gimp calls the "blending options" layer modes.

You can set the layer mode in the Mode menu found under Layers.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Test Subject
#44 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 4:18 AM Last edited by diamondlight : 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:01 AM. Reason: :(
diamondlight, did you change the brightness and/or contrast on the skintone? That will cause the mismatching; download the scalps from the List of Things You'll Need at the start of this tutorial and edit them accordingly.

I didn't change (or even touch) the brightness/contrast on PS. I just use the 'match color' after finished with my works..
edit: Sigh.. still the same, I've made it all over again but still didn't match the body color, the male version didn't have this problem. Maybe it's the body that went wrong.. I'll try to fix it..
Test Subject
#45 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 12:02 PM
Default thank you!
:lovestruc thank you so much for this tutorial. I managed to make a custom face using your skintone I put it up for download on my blog here

What is a papercat?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#46 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 2:59 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 2nd Aug 2009 at 3:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by daluved1
Gimp calls the "blending options" layer modes.

You can set the layer mode in the Mode menu found under Layers.

Thanks - that worked nicely.

Edited to add:

Just changing the top (dark skin) layer to 'Color' mode made the resulting skin too light in GIMP. I got a dark skin matching the original in color tone with the following:

Top (copy of dark skin) layer: color mode
Middle (edited light skin) layer: Darken Only mode
Bottom (dark skin) layer: normal
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 11:39 PM
Since it is not possible, yet, to add more skintones instead of replace the ones who are already in the game, is there any way to replace with another color?

For example replace the green tone with cyan, replace the blue tone with yellow (just some examples)?

You only have those 6 different colors
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#48 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:49 AM
rosahege, yep, it's possible to change the colors. All you have to do is change the 'color ramp' image, which is a color gradient.

Here are the instance numbers of the 'unnatural' colors:

Blue: 2BE1400B3858798A
Red: 18AF27F34B75E2FD
'Alien': 20EE0A9E9A7186FD

The natural colors:

Reddish: 8E8ABB2B6C38CF9A
Yellowish: 0138A1E01DE43B11
Neutral: 14D0BFFAABAE3C96

For anyone wishing to make these colors 'paler,' it might help to know that 'white' is 'transparent,' and will allow the base skin texture to show through without any color overlay.

Test Subject
#49 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 12:35 AM
rosahege, yep, it's possible to change the colors. All you have to do is change the 'color ramp' image, which is a color gradient.

So, how do you change the 'color ramp' image? I don't really know what that is or how to get to it to change it . I'd really like to be able to change a couple of the colors as well.

Thanks.
Test Subject
#50 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 3:39 AM Last edited by aaroc : 30th Jul 2009 at 4:10 AM.
Nice tutorial. I have Paint Shop Pro.. 7.. from like ten years ago, so i'm hoping i'll be able to use the photoshop plug in you pointed to. I found a forum discussion elsewhere that said they were compatible, so here's hoping.

I've noticed a lot of skin tones have 'misplaced' belly buttons and now I can fix it myself. It would be nice to see a tutorial on extracting the skin tones, but I think I might be able to manage that on my own... hopefully. Of course I use the term 'misplaced' loosely, considering it's more like the bump mapping on the sims default skins is misplaced, but having two belly buttons on my sims really bugs me, though I do enjoy the higher quality of some of the DRs out there.

ETA: the DDS tools you linked to didn't work, but I did manage to find some others. For other users with Paint Shop Pro instead of Photoshop (of course maybe it's just me since I'm old fashioned and/or set in my ways) tools for opening DDS Tools with Paint Shop can be found at fileplanet, Here
Page 2 of 5