Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 10:31 AM
So my sim trying to marry the penguin may corrupt my neighbour hood with freaky toddlers...

www.sweetiesims.webs.com
Is looking for moderaters!
We are in the budding stage but still have some truely unique content. Please take 2 seconds to check it out.

JOIN THE NEWEST REBELIATION AGAINST SIMS 3! SIMS 2 WILL TRUELY ALWAYS BE BETTER!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 10:35 AM
I've had to reconstruct, not because it was corrupted (Mootilda tested it and nothing was wrong) but because it was just . . . going bad on me. I'd been using it to make a HUGELY popular machinima series and I was about to give up until I learnt that I could save everything with a little help. Took me about two weeks but with her help I did it. It put a whole new light on defining corruption for me. Right now my main 'hood that I reconstructed is going bad again (I believe this stems from one lot being totally borked from multiple shuffles through sims2packs, occupied and unoccupied, careless lot binning, etc) but the subhoods are doing fine(ish). I think that there is a fine line between corruption and impending corruption, and I'm straddling that line. Sigh.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Scholar
#28 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 11:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by katya_stevens
sweetbaby160, yes those lines are unfortunately a sign of impending neighbourhood corruption. Unless you've done something to access the universal NPCs (like Crumplebottom or the penguin -- the game uses one for every single 'hood you have, and corruption caused by messing with them necessitates a full game reinstall), the corruption should only affect the 'hood it's in.

*sigh* that's what I thought I did finally give up on that 'hood, really hope the other ones aren't affected, I have one that I've been 'working' on for a year now & I am quite attached to it...Thinking back(way way back, like 3/4 years) I think I might have made Crumblebottom selectable (crapcrapcrap!!!) I literally only just remembered, oh no...question is: I did that before a reinstall (switched computers) now due to my transferring that one really really old neighborhood that I haven't played in donkey's years, that's probably condemmed my game huh? Oh I could just cry...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 11:50 AM
Ohh sweetie its alright! Just because you have done those things doesnt mean your game is condemmed. I know alot of simmers who have games years and years old and have made alot of bad mistakes but they are still going Strong! If the Mrs crumlebottom Thing ruined your game it would have shown rather quicker than taking 3 years im sure! Your game may be fine yet.But then again sometimes it just cant be saved. Sim on until the end then just start over. You should just back u your neighbourhoods!

Lola.

www.sweetiesims.webs.com
We are in the budding stage but still have some truely unique content. Please take 2 seconds to check it out.

JOIN THE NEWEST REBELIATION AGAINST SIMS 3! SIMS 2 WILL TRUELY ALWAYS BE BETTER!
Scholar
#30 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 11:59 AM
thank you Lola, you have given me a ray of hope, will be deleting that one at first chance, was a little hesitant to do so, if only because it was my first neighborhood I built it, oh goodness, 6yrs ago, but stopped playing for a few years....ah well, it isn't worth keeping, my WisteriaValley is far more dear to me...I have over the last few months started to do the back up bit, interestingly enough I keep backing up Wisteria even thou I haven't played it since Dec (wanted to try my hand at the Apox challenge), hopefully once I've cleared out the suspect 'hood & restored a back up, everything will be okay...fingers crossed in any case
Instructor
#31 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 1:08 PM
My main neighborhood is corrupted and I'm trying to wean off of it (I posted a thread about it about a week ago). Alot of what has been mentioned earlier has happened in my game: squiggly lines in conversation, sims getting inappropriate wants for their age or situation (a teenage girl wanted to flirt with her stepdad; an elderly grandfather who is no virgin wanted to have very first woohoo), memories being lost or totally random, and sims suddenly not being connected to family members in family tree. But I know it's really hit the fan when some families just won't load at all and sims have disappeared from the game entirely.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#32 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 1:43 PM
Yeah this is why im so scared of corruption. I too have grown to love my families and custom decorated Hood what with my two Legacies both nearing there 11th gen. And my happy and very like me Simself. Its a kind of hurt that just nags at you when you start again on some empty neighbour hood filled with townies and a different simself who is more.. diferent.

www.sweetiesims.webs.com

Mad Poster
#33 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 2:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lolapola
Yeah this is why im so scared of corruption. I too have grown to love my families and custom decorated Hood what with my two Legacies both nearing there 11th gen. And my happy and very like me Simself. Its a kind of hurt that just nags at you when you start again on some empty neighbour hood filled with townies and a different simself who is more.. diferent.

If you are really afraid of corruption, then all you need to do is follow the instuctions in the wiki page about Hood Corruption and be sure to make frequent back-ups, however, when making those back-ups, don't replace the old one with the new one, infact, let it be something like this:

Those are 42 back-ups of the same neighborhood. Now, you are probably wondering why I am not deleting old back-ups. Its because one of the new ones might be of a corrupted, so i will be able to get back to an old back-up, but since this is somewhat excessive, you could delete the first 2 or 4 back-ups just to make sure you are on the safe side, since my laptop's hard-drive capacity is really large , it could hold such a large amount.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#34 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 4:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lolapola
I too have grown to love my families and custom decorated Hood what with my two Legacies both nearing there 11th gen. And my happy and very like me Simself. Its a kind of hurt that just nags at you when you start again on some empty neighbour hood filled with townies and a different simself who is more.. diferent.

Still not the end of the world. Currently living sims you love will die before long anyway and be gone, and what do you do to remember them? Take pictures while they're still alive, yes? Even when a long-term 'hood goes completely wonky, and reconstruction of the entire thing is just not feasible, as long as you take plenty of snapshots before deleting the 'hood, you don't really lose those sims any more than you do when they die. Pull the Storytelling folder before deleting the 'hood, and there you go.

And remember, even if you can't/don't want to do a major reconstruction, you can easily extract your favorite current sims and re-make them in a fresh, clean neighborhood, making up a story about those sims migrating elsewhere. Memories and family trees will be lost, yes, but snapshots don't show such things anyway.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 4:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
Memories and family trees will be lost, yes, but snapshots don't show such things anyway.

Besides, those can be easily edited with SimPE or Simblender.
Scholar
#36 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:15 PM
Can summoning Mrs. Crumplebottom to a lot cause corruption?
Field Researcher
#37 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:26 PM
Still not the end of the world. Currently living sims you love will die before long anyway and be gone

Well, not necessarily; mine wouldn't, since I play my main hood with aging off. Losing my main hood would be devastating for me.

I have a gazillion backups though, I make one every day when I quit the game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:29 PM
I back up monthly. I dont have simpe.

I didnt say it was the end of the world its just sad to see all those generations and memories go.

www.sweetiesims.webs.com

Lab Assistant
#39 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 6:34 PM
I don't have SimPE, though I am often tempted to get it, but know that I'd end up addicted to playing with it rather than my game, so I don't do it. What I do as I said before is to create a new custom hood alongside my current neighborhood, and after playing a family during its rotation I go to the new hood and fire up CAS and recreate that family there (though I often change their last names to make them a new family.) and after I rotate through my original hood i end up with a new hood with Sims ready to begin their new lives in that shiny new hood, as well as my current hood. I then back up both hoods, and create a new custom hood which I populate with Sims recreated from my next rotation in the old hood. That way if my main neighborhood becomes so unplayable that I have to give up on it, I just make one of my custom hoods the new main hood and start over.

Sometimes I'll even just make the custom hood look like a copy of the original hood terrain wise (thank you hood replace) and give the hood a temporary name for each hood and sub-hood, so when i do lose the main hood, I can just dump it, and change the names of the custom hood to the original names of the now unplayable hood, and just pretend that I'm continuing the same hood as I had to trash. It might seem like a lot of work, but to me it's worth it since I tend to get really attached to my Sims, and their little pixelized lives.

On an aside, I really think that if your worry over corruption is making the game not fun for you then you really should try to worry less about what might happen eventually to your hood, and just avoid doing the really bad things. Just enjoy the game for as long as you can, and maybe think of having to eventually start a new hood as an opportunity to tell new stories, and fall in love with a whole new cast of characters rather then seeing it as a negative experience.
Site Helper
#40 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 6:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
I've had to reconstruct, not because it was corrupted (Mootilda tested it and nothing was wrong) but because it was just . . . going bad on me.
(Emphasis mine) This is (at least) the second time that you've said that. I can't imagine telling you that your neighborhood wasn't corrupt. There's no way to guarantee that a neighborhood isn't corrupt. The only thing that can be done is to look for signs of corruption.

Please provide a link to my post, so that I can understand what I said, and fix it if necessary. Until then, I'd rather that you stop telling people that I told you that your neighborhood was not corrupt, since there is no way to make that determination.

Quote: Originally posted by Deryn
I really think that if your worry over corruption is making the game not fun for you then you really should try to worry less about what might happen eventually to your hood, and just avoid doing the really bad things. Just enjoy the game for as long as you can, and maybe think of having to eventually start a new hood as an opportunity to tell new stories, and fall in love with a whole new cast of characters rather then seeing it as a negative experience.
I agree with this. Worrying won't help, but it will reduce your enjoyment of the game.

Instead, avoid things that we know to be bad, and play and enjoy your game.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
The only thing that can be done is to look for signs of corruption.

Is there a list for those signs?
Site Helper
#42 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 7:17 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 4th Mar 2012 at 7:58 PM.
In my case, I probably ran the neighborhood through (a pre-release of?) the HoodChecker, plus debug versions of some of my tools. Every tool that I write has some verification code in it, which helps when a new EP comes out. However, I don't know which post DigitalSympathies is referring to, so I can't say for sure what I did.

I'm reasonably sure that I did not actually play the neighborhood in question, or look for in-game clues.

I don't know of any list of "signs of neighborhood corruption".
Field Researcher
#43 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 7:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
Is there a list for those signs?

Common signs of corruption in-game are listed in a post on the previous page. If you're talking about signs when you look in HoodChecker, Mootilda's better equipped to answer that than I am.
Site Helper
#44 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 8:17 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 4th Mar 2012 at 8:33 PM.
Would it be useful if I added that list to the hood corruption wiki page?

Here's the list that I compiled from posts in this thread:
- Children and toddlers with LTWs other than Grow Up.
- Wants that don't fit the age group (for example, a toddler who suddenly wants to go on a date).
- Disappearing sims
- Sims becoming unplayable.*
- Lots becoming unplayable.*
- Memories and thought bubbles which contain squiggly lines
- Memories being lost or totally random
- Sims losing family members in family tree.

* May indicate problems other than hood corruption.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 1:24 AM
Yes, I think that would be an excellent addition to the article!
Site Helper
#46 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 2:24 AM
OK. I've added the list of symptoms to the hood corruption wiki article.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 6:42 AM
Awesome. Thank you!

ETA: By the way, YES, frankokomando, summoning Mrs. C does indeed corrupt your game. And unfortunately, it does so in the "Oh lovely, now I have to reinstall." kind of way.
Scholar
#48 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 7:43 AM
Awesome. Thank you!

ETA: By the way, YES, frankokomando, summoning Mrs. C does indeed corrupt your game. And unfortunately, it does so in the "Oh lovely, now I have to reinstall." kind of way.

Seeing as I do vaguely remember boolproping MrsC (years before I learned I should never have done so) I have little doubt that at some point my game will explode I do have some back ups of my fav hood & will continue to make back ups as the story carries on. If I reinstall & put a back up folder in after, will the corruption still be there? (I hope that wasn't too convoluted)

Mad Poster
#49 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 3:39 PM Last edited by gazania : 5th Mar 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Sims 2 has got to be the most addictive game I've ever played. Though I'm a bit of a "newbie" here compared with other players ... I started in 2006 ... and I never went beyond Seasons (bad Securom v. 7. Bad, bad Securom!) the game has never failed to entertain and amuse me. That is no small feat, and I comment EA and the creators who come up with some great stuff.

However, the game has also frustrated me beyond words sometimes, and has caused my family to hear me utter many colorful phrases detailing my frustration. I am almost convinced the game can glitch if you sneeze on the computer. And I've had corrupted Sims, lots and yes ... entire neighborhoods.

I've reset a few neighborhoods since 2006 .. Pleasantview, Strangetown and a custom neighborhood (but I admit that I was simply bored with that one). I had to re-set the first two because of my daughter and I found out we were doing Bad Things to the Game, and those Bad Things caused other Really Bad Things. However, as others wrote, when those Bad Things can happen is a crap shoot. We played for three years before the error of our Sim-bin-deleting ways caught up with us, and our Sims disappeared/froze/did strange and terrible things, etc. Three years of perfectly fine play. So yes, while those Bad Things can happen, when is a good question. It could be years before it happens, or it could be minutes. Doing those Bad Things increases the chance of your neighborhood doing wonky things, but no, it doesn't mean the implosion will happen soon. However, it may.

There are two trains of thought after inadertently doing a Bad Thing, and both are valid. One viewpoint is to simply delete the neighborhood and begin again. Another is to play until those Really Bad Things happen, and reset the neighborhood. Which one you choose is up to the player. I've done both.

The glitchy fun can continue even if you find out what Bad Things to avoid. You can find out new Bad Things as you go ... Bad Things that you might not even realize you were doing. For instance ... and I feel silly admitting this, but perhaps it might reassure someone ... I never, never realized that deleting your Downtown without resolving the tombstone issues was a Bad Thing until recently. I don't play the graveyard and forgot the tombstones were even there! Oops.

And my Mrs. Crumplebottom is an interactive pain. She lingers long after I close businesses, for instance, and I feel I have to chase her out with a broom to get rid of her! And there is one romance mod with an autonomous feature that I keep forgetting to turn off. She slips onto the lot when I'm not looking, or before I have a chance to turn the autonomous feature off, and ..... shudder ... my poor Bishie sims. (WHY does she always go after my Bishie sims??? Why?) They never had a chance. That teaches me to turn off that darn mod, if only for the "ick" factor.

Anyway, we still have neighborhoods when we've done Bad Things that we've played for years. One, I think, is three years running. We bred a few Grimmie babies before we knew better. One of my daughter's Grimmie kids glitched badly, and she had to cowplant her. She wasn't sure about the other one, so she cowplanted that one as well. Mine seem fine, and it's been a few generations. However, due to our odds, I would NOT recommend doing this, no matter how tempting it is. Too chancy.

In other neighborhoods, we've deleted Downtowns and Sims, and in one of these, we had a case of deleted Sims AND neighborhood transplants. The neighborhood is still quite functional for now, even after five years, but I have been noticing some small glitches recently. Nothing bad yet ... just odd. We're packaging lots, cloning our favorites, etc. in preparation for the likely reset. It's good to be prepared.

Someone once wrote on another site that she re-set neighborhoods automatically every year because she found that no matter what she did or avoided, the neighborhood glitched. I understand where she's coming from!

And sometimes, after a while, you find that you've gone as far as you want to go with a neighborhood, and find yourself getting bored with it. Yes, you miss some characters if you reset. But Sim life goes on, and you may find that your interest in the game actually increases. For instance, three years ago, I never even knew about replacement facial templates or notownie regen mods or neighborhood fix mods. Now I do, and I find myself drawn even more to the game. I'm planning to go through my two older neighborhoods sometime this year and reset them, especially the one where we apparently REALLY did Bad Things. But we're in no big hurry.

I would not be fearful of neighborhood corruption and resetting. I found in my case that resetting is not that terrible, and actually improved my gameplay. But I WOULD try to avoid the most obvious Bad Things in the future, clone your favorite characters, package your favorite lots and be on the lookout for strange glitches. And most of all, enjoy the game!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#50 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 5:09 PM
I really can't understand why people suffer Mrs C and her terror! There are ways to get rid of her.

I only saw the woman once. She hit my Sim with her purse for flirting with someone or some such nonsense and I exited the game, found a hack and that was it. Another NPC I can't stand is that annoying Charlatan. Or the head witches. Or those hobbies people. Actually, I can't stand any of them. None of them are allowed around my Sims.

About the corruption - I really, really fear corruption. I spend months on setting up my hoods. It's only natural that I want them safe.
Page 2 of 5