Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#7551 Old 5th May 2012 at 7:43 PM
Are you 100% sure the original Maxis smoke detector is gone? I didn't see anything on the Overview or in the Comments for Targa's that suggests her ceiling version is a replacement for the original.

How long ago did you download it? If it was fairly recent, organizing your downloads by date ought to make it easier to find for removal.
Advertisement
Theorist
#7552 Old 5th May 2012 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by music2ologist
I've just spent half an hour roving through my Downloads folders, and there's no trace of Targa's ceiling version. Any clues, anyone, please?
The file is called Targas_Ceiling_SmokeAlarm so if you didn't rename it all you have to do is go to your start menu and type that into the search box. It should take like 2 seconds to find it.
Inventor
#7553 Old 5th May 2012 at 8:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
The file is called Targas_Ceiling_SmokeAlarm so if you didn't rename it all you have to do is go to your start menu and type that into the search box. It should take like 2 seconds to find it.

Thanks for the information, but I regret it came too late. I had already deleted the ceiling version from my ingame Buy catalogue, and found that the wall version was not revealed underneath - it is totally gone. So when I ran the search you recommended, it was not found. I guess my next foolish question is - how do I get the wall version back into my Buy catalogue? In perhaps a hundred houses in nine neighborhoods I have the wall smoke alarm on the kitchen wall, but not in the catalogue. Must I resign myself to the fact that it's gone forever? (Thanks, Targa!)
Theorist
#7554 Old 5th May 2012 at 8:54 PM
Thanks for the information, but I regret it came too late. I had already deleted the ceiling version from my ingame Buy catalogue, and found that the wall version was not revealed underneath - it is totally gone. So when I ran the search you recommended, it was not found. I guess my next foolish question is - how do I get the wall version back into my Buy catalogue? In perhaps a hundred houses in nine neighborhoods I have the wall smoke alarm on the kitchen wall, but not in the catalogue. Must I resign myself to the fact that it's gone forever? (Thanks, Targa!)
I just downloaded Targa's smoke detector and it has a different file name & GUID than the original. That plus the fact it has 13,000 downloads with no mentions of it overriding the original (thanks Darby) makes me think it might not be the cause of your problems. So if I were you, I'd remove my downloads folder and see if that fixes the problem and hope I didn't mess up my installation files. G'luck--I hope it turns out to be an easy fix.
Site Helper
#7555 Old 5th May 2012 at 10:58 PM
I had already deleted the ceiling version from my ingame Buy catalogue, and found that the wall version was not revealed underneath - it is totally gone. So when I ran the search you recommended, it was not found. I guess my next foolish question is - how do I get the wall version back into my Buy catalogue?
If you have deleted something from the installation files, then you may have to reinstall to get it back.
Instructor
#7556 Old 6th May 2012 at 7:59 AM
Or download a new alarm to save the hassle of reinstalling? Or a hack that stops fires. How often does that happen irl anyway?
Inventor
#7557 Old 6th May 2012 at 4:14 PM
Since the Exchange closed I've been a frustrated storyteller. I'd like to post sim stories here, but I don't know how. I've roved around the tutorials here until my head aches. There's got to be an easier way!

I've just taken about forty photographs of a story, and uploaded them to photobucket, but how do I put them together with text? I really can't write without the pictures in front of me, but they are in photobucket, and I can't paste them into Word. Today I tried the modmypanties picture hosting here, and that works, but I can't upload just one picture with a few paragraphs, and then start all over again. How can I get the story all together before uploading?
Inventor
#7558 Old 6th May 2012 at 4:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Josepina
Or download a new alarm to save the hassle of reinstalling? Or a hack that stops fires. How often does that happen irl anyway?

Thanks for the suggestions. Perhaps I'll get to enjoy fires.
Mad Poster
#7559 Old 6th May 2012 at 5:04 PM
Since the Exchange closed I've been a frustrated storyteller. I'd like to post sim stories here, but I don't know how. I've roved around the tutorials here until my head aches. There's got to be an easier way!

I've just taken about forty photographs of a story, and uploaded them to photobucket, but how do I put them together with text? I really can't write without the pictures in front of me, but they are in photobucket, and I can't paste them into Word. Today I tried the modmypanties picture hosting here, and that works, but I can't upload just one picture with a few paragraphs, and then start all over again. How can I get the story all together before uploading?

A lot of people use Livejournal for posting stories, myself included. What I do is have notepad open on the bottom half of my computer screen, and the other half has Windows Photo Gallery. My pictures are all named in order, so after copying the HTML code from Photobucket, I open the first one, paste the code, write my crappy commentary, then move on to the next picture. I use the same bit of copied code all the time and just change the picture name so I don't have to keep going back and forth into Photobucket. Once it's all typed, I copy the whole thing, paste it in my blog entry window, spell check, preview and post.

The only problem I can think of is if the pictures have stupid filenames, but that can easily be fixed with a program to batch rename files.
Mad Poster
#7560 Old 6th May 2012 at 5:10 PM
Print out the pictures and have them next to you when you type on a word processor? Get a word processor that isn't such a jackass about pictures? But photobucket shouldn't be necessary for making a word processor document anyway - you should be able to paste the .jpg (don't know about .png) directly into any halfway decent word processor or presentation-creation software and place, size, and orient it to suit your needs. But then you'd still have to figure out how to share it.

Make a blog?

I had hoped, when we got the new Microsoft Office Suite so I could convert documents for submission to publishers who insist on Word documents (WORD SUCKS! I WON'T USE IT!), that I'd be able to read the .xml documents generated by the story albums in it, including the pictures, but apparently we skipped the version that allowed that. If I'd heard right and one ever did. I can only read my own sims stories in the game or through a webbrowser which doesn't pick up the pictures. I could make a word processing document but that's more time consuming than it's worth.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#7561 Old 6th May 2012 at 5:34 PM
Is there a way to remove a sim's permaplat status?
Inventor
#7562 Old 6th May 2012 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
I use the same bit of copied code all the time and just change the picture name so I don't have to keep going back and forth into Photobucket. Once it's all typed, I copy the whole thing, paste it in my blog entry window, spell check, preview and post. ..The only problem I can think of is if the pictures have stupid filenames, but that can easily be fixed with a program to batch rename files.

Um ... if you use the same bit of copied code all the time, you get the same picture, right? Sorry to be dense. Do you compose in Live Journal? At what point to do you put in the correct photographs?

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll have a look at Livejournal.
Mad Poster
#7563 Old 6th May 2012 at 5:51 PM
I change the end of the code with the filename each time. That's the only difference it needs. So if my copied code is http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums.../example001.png, then I just have to change the 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 and so on. I do this in notepad so I have a saved copy, and view the pictures on my hard drive.

Although thinking about it, I always use LJ's HTML updater. They have a Rich Text Editor that may be easier for you to start with.
Forum Resident
#7564 Old 6th May 2012 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Is there a way to remove a sim's permaplat status?

Batbox from MATY: "wants" -> "toggle LTW satisfaction" -> "on/off".

If you are doing this because a sim has achieved perma-plat through maxing out their LTA meter, they will revert to being perma-plat at the beginning of the next hour (because apparently EA made it so that LTA-related perma-plat status is checked every hour): get Rufio's NoLTAPermaplat mod to stop that happening.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Scholar
#7565 Old 6th May 2012 at 10:19 PM
Does the time of day effect how many sims are on a community lot? I took my sim to a club after 9pm and it was a ghost town with 2-3 people, but there were many more during the day when I played another family going to the same place.
Alchemist
#7566 Old 6th May 2012 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by katya_stevens
Batbox from MATY: "wants" -> "toggle LTW satisfaction" -> "on/off".

If you are doing this because a sim has achieved perma-plat through maxing out their LTA meter, they will revert to being perma-plat at the beginning of the next hour (because apparently EA made it so that LTA-related perma-plat status is checked every hour): get Rufio's NoLTAPermaplat mod to stop that happening.
Thanks.
Scholar
#7567 Old 7th May 2012 at 1:25 AM
Will a grand vampire show up on neighborhood community lots or will he/she only show up on downtown community lots?
Scholar
#7568 Old 7th May 2012 at 3:23 AM
I think only downtown lots. I put all my community lots on my main hood just to avoid him and the extra subhood.
Mad Poster
#7569 Old 7th May 2012 at 4:42 AM
The two master vampires will follow an enemy or a friend to a residential lot anywhere, but they're downtownies and will only be randomly met on downtown lots.

My Count Ralph is very argumentative and has a habit of picking fights, losing them, and then showing up at his enemy's house the next day just long enough to complain that the sun burns him and run away; this behavior is on an endless loop. He never makes it to the trash can or the newspaper till darkness falls.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#7570 Old 7th May 2012 at 5:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lazzybum
Does the time of day effect how many sims are on a community lot? I took my sim to a club after 9pm and it was a ghost town with 2-3 people, but there were many more during the day when I played another family going to the same place.

That would be the reason for the downtown that came with 'nightlife'. I didn't put that together until just now either. Traffic does slow down at night unless you use the customer limit adjuster which makes businesses always full. Which is cheating but how else do you get more than 9 customers on a lot? If you have large community lots they always look dead.

Maybe that is why no children come to my bowling alley too. Have you noticed kids at yours Lazzy?
Inventor
#7571 Old 7th May 2012 at 6:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Josepina
Maybe that is why no children come to my bowling alley too. Have you noticed kids at yours Lazzy?

I believe teenagers all go home at nine, and I think children go home at seven. At least, children who walk past residential lots at nightfall just have time to shake hands before exclaiming over the lateness of the hour, and going home. So, no children or teenagers at the night spots.

I have sometimes wondered whether the number of sims at a community lot is affected by the sociability of the playable sim who is visiting. I too have been frustrated, after sending a recluse to meet people, to find the community lot empty, spooky, echoing. People do turn up later, but it takes a while. On the other hand, a sim with twenty friends will arrive to the genial chatter of a crowded lot. I can hear them even before the lot opens and my sim arrives. Is this just chance?
Instructor
#7572 Old 7th May 2012 at 6:49 AM
You are probably onto something there. I had noticed sometimes lots are crowded before my sim arrives too.

I did the same thing as Lazzy though by not having a downtown to save having the extra loading screen. The bowling alley is in my main hood and there's no kids during daylight hours even on weekends.

Makes me wonder if there's a difference between a shopping hood and other hoods now. Other than extra space for shops.
Scholar
#7573 Old 7th May 2012 at 7:27 AM
I wonder if it has been proven if Downtown has more traffic at night? Downtown default screen is nighttime, but I'm not sure if it is also programmed to have more traffic when going at night.

And I've never seen children go to community lots on their own. Is this a feature I've been missing this whole time?! I've only seen them visit home businesses (more often when there's a child in the household) but that is it. And the club I'm talking bout is not owned, just to clarify.

There should be a mod to differentiate the types of community lots and/or choose a level of crowd-ness on non-owned lots.
Mad Poster
#7574 Old 7th May 2012 at 7:36 AM
I've only seen children on downtown lots with their parents, not by themselves. I'm also trying to figure out a good time to send some of my Sims downtown so that they will meet other Sims out and about.
Instructor
#7575 Old 7th May 2012 at 7:38 AM
There is the customer selector that lets you choose age, class, gender, sim type, neighbourhood, dress code, business type (not sure what this does exactly) etc. There is also a thing that lets you select customer times. I haven't figured it out maybe it lets you choose how long customers stay or opening times or when certain customers come. And the shift time clock but I haven't gotten that organised either. I try to keep my employees at the minimum.
Locked thread | Locked by: Delphy Reason: 1000 pages.... time to start a new one!
Page 303 of 1000