Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 5:24 PM
Default Base game friendly mod
I was wondering if there was a mod similar to InSim or Simblender that is base game friendly. I'm only playing the base game on my laptop and I feel so lost without InSim to help me manipulate my game.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CherryLemonade
I was wondering if there was a mod similar to InSim or Simblender that is base game friendly. I'm only playing the base game on my laptop and I feel so lost without InSim to help me manipulate my game.

I got ultimate collection a few months ago by contacting EA so if you try they might give you a copy. So you can play with all expansion packs and hopefully get the mod you're looking for
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 5:35 PM
I have all the EPs and SPs on my desktop. I only play the base on my laptop.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 6:31 PM
The only editing tools I'm aware of that work with BG only are SimPE and the batbox.

All or most of the editing functions available through InSim can be done with some combination of the testingcheats, batbox, and teleporter, though. Don't be afraid of the testingcheats! They're like a power tool - perfectly safe if used responsibly.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 6:42 PM
I had come across the batbox but haven't tried it yet. As for the testing cheats; I use them a little but haven't figured out how to age/kill or change sim appearance. Testingcheat left on to long starts throwing errors, too.

I'll try batbox though. Thanks.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 7:16 PM
Testingcheat left on to long starts throwing errors, too.

That's nothing to do with the cheat and everything to do with your game or some CC that's causing problems. The point of the testingcheats cheat is in the name - 'testing' - it's meant to test stuff and find problems (hence the errors and the error logs that come with them). Don't confuse the symptoms with the cause.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 8:55 PM
Geez, sorry I said anything. Everything I've ever read about the testing cheat says not to leave it on because of that very reason, CC of not.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 9:35 PM
But maxon's right. The debug mode is considered dangerous because of what you can do with it, not because having it on causes the game to dysfunction.
And you don't have to leave it on permanently to use it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 9:46 PM
I wasn't talking about corruption to the game. I was talking about the object error messages that pop up after a few minutes and I don't leave it on indefinitely. I guess I should have worded my post better. Maxon's post just came off a little bit insulting. I know testing cheats can be dangerous to use. That's why I prefer not to and was why I asked for help in finding a mod.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 9:58 PM
Really? Because I was just making a factual comment.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 10:02 PM
It's on all the time in my game (starts up with the game) and it doesn't throw any error messages.

Anyway, there's Merola's multipainting which could be helpful: http://www.simchaotics.net/Files/Me...ltiPainting.htm
Hopefully it's BG friendly.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 10:07 PM

InSimenator mod works in just the base game to.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 10:12 PM
I found that painting earlier, but thanks anyway.

Quote:
InSimenator mod works in just the base game to.

My game wouldn't start with it and when I checked the site it stated that you had to have at least one EP.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 10:52 PM
I assure you, you just misheard Maxon's tone. We all do that occasionally.

Merola's site doesn't explicitly say that the hacks on it (which will do a great deal, taken all together; check them all out) are BG compatible, but this is implied by the fact that she specifies that one of them has been updated for University, which should mean that everything else is BG. They are at least worth testing.

The errors are happening whether the cheats are on or not, so the testingcheats are just notifying you of stuff that's already going on. If you get object error messages frequently then something's wrong in the neighborhood. I have a neighborhood which is so messed up I never turn the cheats on unless it's the only way to do something, and then turn it off again immediately, because otherwise I'm constantly having to reset or delete notices. "Yes, yes, I know, Drama Acres is messed up, stop nagging me about it. I will play it till it DIES, do you hear me? Till it DIES!" There are times when you really want those notices, because you can't fix bugs you aren't aware of; but if you're already aware and can't fix them, no purpose is served.

It's possible that if you do a little game hygiene, like running Hoodchecker and clearing gossip, or get rid of one or two problem bits of content, you won't get those notices anymore and will be able to leave the cheats on. If that doesn't work, and you don't want to start fresh in a new neighborhood (I assure you, if you can keep the neighborhood clean you won't get the errors) you may have to go exploring among the really, really old utilities for things that do the jobs you want in the environment you're using.

And there's always SimPE. It won't let you do things on the fly, but it will let you edit almost anything in between games. I hope you can find what you need.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#15 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 11:09 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 21st Aug 2016 at 12:03 AM.
If you get errors with testingcheats, you probably have some conflicting mods or similar in your game. I've got it in my userstartup (because of reasons), and don't get errors unless there is something wrong - and my mods/hack folder is stuffed. It's all a balance. If two mods are trying to either do different things, or are trying something the game won't allow, the game gets confused and throws an error. But if everything is running smoothly, no errors will pop up. Errors don't need to be bad, and they can be helpful in figuring out what's wrong in your game. It's safe as long as you know what you're doing, and don't do things you're not supposed to.

On the other hand, I don't leave the cheat on in TS3/4 after using it, as in TS3 things would sometimes start go downhill without doing anything and even without mods installed, and in TS4 as a precaution after the troubles with TS3. I know less about the games, and therefore feel less comfy messing about with cheats.
Undead Molten Llama
#16 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 11:20 PM
Yes, as others have said, debug mode doesn't make errors happen. It merely reports errors that are happening whether or not you have debug mode turned on. It's just that with debug mode turned on, you get a message and a log so that you can...Well, debug. That's what they used when developing the game to see if things worked or not and to then fix errors. Often, such errors are caused by hack/mod conflicts, but the game will sometimes error even when running in a non-corrupted neighborhood in a no-CC game. Personally, it's always turned on in my game (via my userstartup thing) because if I start getting errors after I've installed a new mod when the game wasn't erroring before, that's my cue that I need to fix things, if possible, or remove the new mod if not. No one's judging you, just telling you how debug mode actually works. There are LOTS of misconceptions out there about it.

In any case, you don't have to have it turned on for long to get what you want. Much of what Insimenator does, for instance, is merely making the features you can access in debug mode accessible without debug mode turned on, via hacked objects instead. For instance, if you want to kill a Sim in debug mode, you turn on debug, Shift-click on any Sim and you'll get a big pie menu with a bunch of things you can spawn. One of them is "Rodney's Death Creator," which spawns as a tombstone. You can then click on the spawned tombstone and a menu will appear from which you can select the method of death you want to use for the selected Sim. The animation for that particular kind of death runs, the Grim Reaper appears, the dead Sim's tombstone is spawned. There are other things you can spawn to adjust a bunch of different things. Basically, a lot of the things you can do in the Insimenator, as I said. Once you're done fiddling, you can turn debug mode off, delete the spawned objects (or leave them, if you'll want to use them again; you don't have to have debug mode turned on to use them once they're spawned), and go on about your playing.

That said, you'd be wise to find a list of what everything does and don't click on things that you don't know or understand what it does. THAT'S how you (possibly) cause corruption with debug mode turned on. Otherwise it is completely safe to have it turned on in your game all the time, if you want.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 12:29 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 21st Aug 2016 at 2:23 AM.
The Insim mod is backwards compatible. Nothing I can find on the sites say it needs any EPs to work, only that it's updated up to AL/M&G. A lot of the options need Uni to work, and will be unavailable with BG only. If you're unsure, one thing you can do is to backup your game, and try the mod. If your game starts throwing errors or jump bugs, it's not compatible with BG only (or some mod you already have). I do believe the mod itself is BG compatible, but some of the functions will be unavailable, because they were added in later EPs.

The SimManipulator here only requires one additional EP to work (doesn't matter which). There's also the SimBlender, but it also requires at least one EP (Pets or above).
Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 1:49 AM
Someone got some bad info for I use the InSim all the time in base game hoods. I make base game hoods and the InSim is the only one that works in base game hoods.

Both the Simblender and the Sim Manipulator need at least 1 EP but the InSim only needs the base game. Simblender needs Pets or higher EP and the Sim Manipulator needs any EP.

You can only have 1 of the InSim mods in at a time and I use the one that is in the buy catalog called OBJ and it works great.

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=InSimenator

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#19 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 10:29 AM
Well InSim is just Debug Mode on an object (or sim or whatever) so that makes sense.