Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 8:04 AM
Create chance cards for new career
Hi Evereybody !

First of all, I would like to apologize for my bad english ^^ I am from Belgium ...

I created a new career with "Create a career Beta" created by Neia (If you see that, THANK YOU) . I tried it in my game and that works perfectly ! But that's too simple ...

I would like to add a lot of chance cards. But I don't know how to do that and which program we can use to do that.

If somebody can kindly explain me, I would be very happy !

I will post my new mod here after that. So you can test it in your game and you can leave me any comments you want
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 9:57 AM
Moved to modding discussions

In case you want people to give feedback on your download (which includes testing), please take a look at our Creator Feedback forums: http://www.modthesims.info/fd.php?f=473
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 1:37 PM
Thanks Lyralei !
Deceased
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 2:10 AM
I'm pretty sure there's some individuals who have made chance cards for their own careers, so hopefully they may yet speak up and fill in more details, but this should get you started. Feel free to ask any further questions as well.

You'll want an XML extractor program (e.g. XML Extractor, S4PE which you should already have, and a program to edit XML text files such as Notepad++ (a generic but powerful text file editor) or firstobject XML Editor (specifically for XML files and can help make XML friendlier to edit).

You'll want to learn the basics of creating new XML resources, including how to number the "Instance ID" for them using a hash generator. You'll also want to learn how to create STBL entries to display text in the game. There's several good tutorials listed on SimsWiki.

There's four main parts to career chance cards:
  1. The chance cards themselves, which are tuned in AdventureMoment snippet nodes. If you unpack the XML from the game and use the XML Extractor's file finder program, you can see dozens of these by just searching for "career chance card" and use those as an example to create your own. The chance card tuning specifies the text to be displayed, the choices available to the player, and what "loot" and "notifications" can randomly occur for each choice.
  2. The notification tunings (examples found by searching for "notification chance card") specify the details of what the notification chosen by the chance card should display.
  3. The loot tunings, e.g. loot_JobPerformance_Gain and Loss resources, specify what effect to apply to the Sim when a specific result is chosen. Typically these are just small or medium bosts to job performance, but they could include whatever loot you want to reward the Sim with, e.g. Simoleons, relationship changes, reward objects, death... whatever.
  4. Finally, the "rabbit hole" interaction for the career itself (e.g. si_Career_Business) controls which adventure moments are available for when the career is running. There should be an interaction like this one generated for your career, and that will be the one you want to edit. That superinteraction does a LOT more than just that, but if you look in the XML for the interaction you'll see the list in the "basic_extras" section of the XML. You can include up to 35 "Career_ChanceCard_##" entries for a career, as well as ones for responsible or irrespsonsible traits as well (the list of "keys" that can be used for chance cards can be seen in the "interactions.utils.adventure" module tuning (adding to that list of possible keys would not be trivial and would be incompatible with future game xpacs, etc). Each card entry can perform any number of tests to specify whether that card is available at any specific career level, or by trait, or Sim age, or well just about anything else you could think of to test for.
So... yeah, it's really quite complex but it's not really rocket science either. If you start out small with just a few chance cards to see how you get them working, you can then build up from there and learn how to code the more complex cards.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 10:30 AM
Thanks Scumbumbo ! That's very kind of you for explaining me all of that. Like you said: That's not really rocket science. But I have one question, where do you find "interactions.utils.adventure"?
Deceased
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 7:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Laura2112
Thanks Scumbumbo ! That's very kind of you for explaining me all of that. Like you said: That's not really rocket science. But I have one question, where do you find "interactions.utils.adventure"?

That's a module tuning file, so you'll find it in the "tun" subfolder assuming you're using the XML Extractor I wrote. The filename would be S4_03B33DDF_00000000_C11899C371C041F5.xml
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Apr 2018 at 5:49 PM Last edited by Simmiller : 8th Apr 2018 at 6:11 PM.
Hi scumbumbo! I'm doing a career with several tracks, and I want the chance cards to be unique to each. Tons of work, I know. But, I'm wondering where in the xml does it specify the trigger for a chance card? Do they just randomly appear or in order? I've looked at interactions.utils.adventure, and I'm going through the tuning on several chance cards, and their behaviour is not obvious to me. For example, if one career level is about programming, I don't want a fitness chance card to come up, but it would be helpful in another level in the same career track. I think I'm asking how to specify an event trigger to a chance card, or how to determine when an adventure moment occurs.
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Apr 2018 at 6:33 PM
Perhaps this is what I'm looking for. In the following xml, is it implying that when a sims's logic skill reaches level 5 and their mood is focused, this chance card will appear?
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<I c="AdventureMoment" i="snippet" m="snippets" n="career_Business_ChanceCard_9" s="106429">
<U n="value">
<L n="_finish_actions">
<U>
<L n="action_results">
<U>
<L n="loot_actions">
<T>106752<!--loot_JobPerformance_Gain_Medium_Business--></T>
</L>
<V n="notification" t="enabled">
<V n="enabled" t="reference">
<T n="reference">107672<!--notification_ChanceCard_Business_9A_Success--></T>
</V>
</V>
<L n="weight_modifiers">
<U>
<V n="test" t="skill_test">
<U n="skill_test">
<T n="skill">16706<!--statistic_Skill_AdultMajor_Logic--></T>
<V n="skill_range" t="interval">
<U n="interval">
<U n="skill_interval">
<T n="lower_bound">5</T>
</U>
</U>
</V>
</U>
</V>
<T n="weight_multiplier">2</T>
</U>
<U>
<V n="test" t="mood">
<U n="mood">
<T n="mood">14639<!--Mood_Focused--></T>
</U>
</V>
<T n="weight_multiplier">1.5</T>
</U>
</L>
</U>
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th Apr 2018 at 6:52 PM
Also, since there's only one si in each package, how do I determine which chance card belongs to which branch of the career? I'm going to keep on looking at the different chance cards for different existing careers within the game with different branches to see if I can figure that out.
Deceased
#10 Old 8th Apr 2018 at 8:08 PM
Short answer - No

Long answer - forthcoming
retired moderator
#11 Old 8th Apr 2018 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
Short answer - No

Long answer - forthcoming

Thanks
Deceased
#12 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 5:13 AM
Just to clarify... forthcoming means it will take a bit. I think it will be worthwhile though, I'm creating a fairly stupid adventure example. While it's not all that complex I am trying to demonstrate some of the things you're specifically asking about, and so it does take some time to get everything working right. The XML will be commented, and it will include a script to demonstrate adding the appropriate card names without having to override the interactions.utils.adventure module tuning (which would be something that could easily cause mod conflicts to do so via XML). I'll probably write up a bit of an explanation of how it all fits together as well.

Might finish it up tomorrow if I get the time. For now I'm past the phase of getting things working and just to the fitting everything all together stage.
retired moderator
#13 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 4:16 PM
Just to clarify... forthcoming means it will take a bit. I think it will be worthwhile though, I'm creating a fairly stupid adventure example. While it's not all that complex I am trying to demonstrate some of the things you're specifically asking about, and so it does take some time to get everything working right. The XML will be commented, and it will include a script to demonstrate adding the appropriate card names without having to override the interactions.utils.adventure module tuning (which would be something that could easily cause mod conflicts to do so via XML). I'll probably write up a bit of an explanation of how it all fits together as well.

Might finish it up tomorrow if I get the time. For now I'm past the phase of getting things working and just to the fitting everything all together stage.

That's wonderful news! And now I see why this has me so stumped, scripts. I'm so new to them. I'm waiting patiently and appreciate all your hard work.
Deceased
#14 Old 12th May 2018 at 6:09 AM
Just a quick note that I have NOT forgotten about this. My silly little example mod is all coded/working and the document to explain just what everything in it all means was largely done -- but real life has been hectic of late and it kind of got pushed into the "maybe I can work on that tomorrow" file, repeatedly. I'm honestly not sure when I'll get around to finishing it all up, but hopefully by the end of next week.
Test Subject
#15 Old 13th May 2018 at 1:00 AM
Just a quick note that I have NOT forgotten about this. My silly little example mod is all coded/working and the document to explain just what everything in it all means was largely done -- but real life has been hectic of late and it kind of got pushed into the "maybe I can work on that tomorrow" file, repeatedly. I'm honestly not sure when I'll get around to finishing it all up, but hopefully by the end of next week.

That's awesome! I've been making custom careers as well, but am very new to coding so I'm trying to learn from scratch and have zero clue what I'm doing lol I can't wait to see yours! And maybe get some help? haha
retired moderator
#16 Old 21st May 2018 at 8:40 PM

Your work is more than appreciated and I have no problem waiting!
Test Subject
#17 Old 14th Apr 2019 at 7:21 PM
So this is where i am at. I am using sims 4 studio to do this. Now what do i type or where do i type it. Im so lost.

<E n="key">Career_Irresponsible_ChanceCard_01</E>
<U n="value">
<V n="aventure_moment" t="reference">
<T n="reference">166508</T>
</V>
</U>
</U>
<U>
<E n="key">Career_Irresponsible_ChanceCard_02</E>
<U n="value">
<T n="reference">166509</T>
</V>
</U>
</U>
<U>
<E n="key">Career_Irresponsible_ChanceCard_03</E>
<U n="value">
<T n="reference">166511</T>
</V>
</U>
</U>
<U>
<E n="key">Career_Irresponsible_ChanceCard_04</E>
<U n="value">
<T n="reference">166512</T>
</V>
</U>
</U>
<U>
<E n="key">Career_Irresponsible_ChanceCard_05</E>
<U n="value">
<T n="reference">166513</T>
</V>
</U>
</U>
<U>
<E n="key">Career_Irresponsible_ChanceCard_06</E>
<U n="value">
<T n="reference">166514</T>
</V>
</U>
</U>
<U>
<E n="key">Career_Irresponsible_ChanceCard_07</E>
<U n="value">
<T n="reference">166515</T>
</V>
</U>
</U>
<U>
<E n="key">Career_Irresponsible_ChanceCard_08</E>
<U n="value">
<T n="reference">166517</T>
</V>
</U>
</U>
<U>
<E n="key">Career_Irresponsible_ChanceCard_09</E>
<U n="value">
<T n="reference">166518</T>
</V>
</U>
</U>
<U>
<E n="key">Career_Irresponsible_ChooseCard</E>
<U n="value">
<V n="aventure_moment" t="literal">
<U n="literal">
<L n="_finish_actions">
<U>
<L n="action_results">
<U>
<L n="next_moments">

https://discord.gg/THARpZp my new discord for my career mods.
Deceased
#18 Old 15th Apr 2019 at 7:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kitsunechan'w'
So this is where i am at. I am using sims 4 studio to do this. Now what do i type or where do i type it. Im so lost.

Hi, we discussed this yesterday on Deaderpool's Discord, but for the sake of those who didn't see that - adding chance cards to a career is a fairly time consuming and detailed process. It's not exactly difficult, just... well... detailed

The section you are looking at is used for the responsible and irresponsible traits in GP05 and they probably should not be changed. They are the same for every career in the game. The actual "per-career" chance card code is not present in a career created by the Create-A-Career tool.

Simmiller gives a fairly good overview of what would be involved in another thread, http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=626110.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 5:30 AM
OK, Rex here. I'll share some of my experience on the chance cards:

1.First of all, all the chance cards are defined in the interaction file 'si_Career_XXX'; Also, at what level and in which branch of the career will the chance card shows up is also defined in this interaction. One career only comes with one career interaction. All branches of a career share the same interaction.

2. The chance cards themselves, what you posted above is how a skill will influence the results. Basically, you write texts and place them into the file , and then you write loot action files for each result. Some choice has only one result, some choice have two or more. Skills, mood, and stuffs will influence the weight of a result, which is the 'weight modifier' you posted above.

3.IF you're making teen careers and want to influence character values or stuffs, that's a whole new story. I think it's a bit different but it's not necessary anyway.
Test Subject
#20 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 10:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by konansock
OK, Rex here. I'll share some of my experience on the chance cards:

1.First of all, all the chance cards are defined in the interaction file 'si_Career_XXX'; Also, at what level and in which branch of the career will the chance card shows up is also defined in this interaction. One career only comes with one career interaction. All branches of a career share the same interaction.

2. The chance cards themselves, what you posted above is how a skill will influence the results. Basically, you write texts and place them into the file , and then you write loot action files for each result.

I have done all of these things, and my custom chance cards are never triggered. Very frustrating! How do you test a chance card? Is there a way to FORCE a chance card to appear for a particular Sim in a particular career, through some debug option or cheat code, and if so, how? If this can be done, I would appreciate step-by-step instructions.

Karen
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by karenh3
I have done all of these things, and my custom chance cards are never triggered. Very frustrating! How do you test a chance card? Is there a way to FORCE a chance card to appear for a particular Sim in a particular career, through some debug option or cheat code, and if so, how? If this can be done, I would appreciate step-by-step instructions.

Karen

Well, I noticed that you started this project last year, and the fact is, the structure of the 'si_career_XXX' has been updated since the Get Famous patch. So it's perfectly normal if you did not update your old structure to the new ones. I had to update my mods to make those chance cards show up as well.

If you're sure you have updated the structure of the chance cards, I always just test the chance cards one by one, by simply pasting only one chance cards in the file and then go in the game. I suggest make a save where Sims were just about to go to work, that will shorten the time for testing on a large scale. Also change the working schedule when testing also works, I always make my Sims go to work every day when testing LOL.
Chance cards shows up normally once or twice a week, so I strongly suggest make a Sim join your career, and save an hour before he goes to work for the first time, and just test with this save file.

I hope to see your careers soon!
Test Subject
#22 Old 19th May 2019 at 3:47 PM
Does anyone have a link to a career with chance cards that I can look at? I cant seem to find one with chance cards so I can use it as a template to create my own.