Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 12:55 PM Last edited by autumnwish : 24th Jul 2014 at 1:09 PM.
Default Getting a new computer
Hello,

After reading through most of the threads here about obtaining a new computer, it seems I'm not alone in being a bit confused while trying to puzzle out what specs would be suitable. I tried to follow along with a lot of the conversations and lists, but I'm afraid I'm still a little lost and could use some help and second opinions on a few options.

I would like to (fairly soon) get a new desktop computer. Games I play/would be playing are sims 2, (all eps), sims 3, (pets/into the future/possibly others), sims 4, and other games like Mass Effect 3, Slender: The Arrival, and Fallout. I live in the U.S. and would be ordering from there as well. Price range is flexible, although I would like to not go over $900. I would like a pre-built system, if possible.

So far, in trying to do research about what would be best, I have thought about the possibility of one of these:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/p...del_id=xps-8700
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16883258098
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16883220405 (getting a bit pricy for me, however)

Would any of these be suitable? Am I headed in the right direction?

Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 3:05 PM
The price reflects the suitability.
The most expensive one is the best choice.

$900 budget is without monitor and peripherals (keyboard + mouse)? What is your current monitor size and resolution? e.g Dell 23" 1920 x 1080p with Display Port, mini HDMI or 2 DVIs (because the port needs to be available on the GPU).

I think if you self-build you can shave off at least $100-$150 of the final total. Because if you only play those games and don't do 3D rendering work of photos or CAD or meshing in Blender, you just need an Intel i5, 8GB RAM, the GTX 760. Which as you can see, is not usually the available options (but I haven't perused NewEgg lately). OK, I played with the filters, and I get 5 choices for Intel i5 with GTX 760; with 3 below $900. So, just need to compare which has the most powerful CPU with as high a HDD size as you can afford and still stay within your budget. Don't forget to check that your Monitor port match the GPU ports that is listed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
The price reflects the suitability.
The most expensive one is the best choice.

$900 budget is without monitor and peripherals (keyboard + mouse)? What is your current monitor size and resolution? e.g Dell 23" 1920 x 1080p with Display Port, mini HDMI or 2 DVIs (because the port needs to be available on the GPU).

I think if you self-build you can shave off at least $100-$150 of the final total. Because if you only play those games and don't do 3D rendering work of photos or CAD or meshing in Blender, you just need an Intel i5, 8GB RAM, the GTX 760. Which as you can see, is not usually the available options (but I haven't perused NewEgg lately). OK, I played with the filters, and I get 5 choices for Intel i5 with GTX 760; with 3 below $900. So, just need to compare which has the most powerful CPU with as high a HDD size as you can afford and still stay within your budget. Don't forget to check that your Monitor port match the GPU ports that is listed.

Yes, the budget is without monitor, keyboard, etc. I would be reusing those from what I currently have.

I attempted to figure out what monitor size I have since the box it came in is long gone. I apologize for not knowing exactly how to get the correct information, even after attempting to google for help. It's an LCD Dell, which the display information found within the control panel only lists as a Plug and Play. Information from the back is mostly in another language but I believe the model number is 1N1910Nf. But googling this didn't give any clarifying results. Manually measuring the screen diagonally, it is 20in. I think it only has two ports, display and power.

I do a little bit of 3D rendering through meshing in milkshape.

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 6:19 PM
You can try checking in Device Manager for the Monitor model.

Oh, milkshape would work fine with just an i5.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 6:38 PM
You can try checking in Device Manager for the Monitor model.

Oh, milkshape would work fine with just an i5.

Thank you. Looking through the Device Manager still listed it as a Plug and Play, but opening a few things, I think the model id is DELA04C. Looking that up online, it corresponds with my previous number, minus the 'f'. So I believe it is this Dell 18.5" LCD Monitor that I have.
Scholar
#6 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 9:16 AM
If you're using that Dell 18.5" LCD Monitor I would go with the AVATAR computer at $860.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#7 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 11:15 PM
If this is the monitor http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/top...&l=en&cs=indhs1 (or a variation, but the same design and has the same VGA port) then you'd need one of these DVI-I to VGA video adapters, because your monitor has
Quote: Originally posted by Dell IN1910N Specs
CONNECTIVITY: Analog VGA
while the GPU has
Quote: Originally posted by GTX 750 Ti Specs
Standard Display Connectors: One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One mini-HDMI
(source) bold emphasis mine - that is the analog port that you need to have an adapter for DVI-I port image (see DVI connector guide)

Whatever GPU you go with, however really depends on usage patterns and intentions. Do you intent to upgrade that monitor to a newer and bigger model, within the next 3-6 months? Do you plan to ever have multiple-monitor setups? If you don't upgrade, how long do you normally use hardware for? My hardware generally lasts 2 - 6 years, so I almost always take the long view. But if you don't intend to ever swap out that monitor (barring a failure), until this new PC Tower gets replaced (like say after 4-5 years), then yes, the GTX 750 Ti is sufficient for your current needs.

I did go and confirm the minimum requirements for all the other games you have listed and they are all comparable to Sims 3's MTS recommended requirements (SysReq link in my signature). But need to adjust your expectations on game performance, as the 750 Ti has a couple Yellow MAYBEs versus a 760 that has all Green YESes across the packs for Sims 3.

ps: I won't be around after this for the whole weekend, back on Tues. So if I don't reply, it's due to being away...
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 9:30 PM
If this is the monitor http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/top...&l=en&cs=indhs1 (or a variation, but the same design and has the same VGA port) then you'd need one of these DVI-I to VGA video adapters, because your monitor has[/URL]

I may actually already have that? My monitor connects to the tower through a device that look like that.

Quote:
Whatever GPU you go with, however really depends on usage patterns and intentions. Do you intent to upgrade that monitor to a newer and bigger model, within the next 3-6 months? Do you plan to ever have multiple-monitor setups? If you don't upgrade, how long do you normally use hardware for? My hardware generally lasts 2 - 6 years, so I almost always take the long view. But if you don't intend to ever swap out that monitor (barring a failure), until this new PC Tower gets replaced (like say after 4-5 years), then yes, the GTX 750 Ti is sufficient for your current needs.

I normally use hardware until they need to be replaced due to failure. However, I am not opposed to trying to budget in a new monitor within the months following purchasing a new pc, using one of the adapters in the interim.

ellacharmed, ajaxsirius: Thank you very much for the guidance, your time with this, and being patient with me. I appreciate it a lot. I believe I shall go for the 760 Ti and a new monitor shortly after.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 6:13 PM
If you already have a tower, we can just upgrade the components inside instead of getting a brand new tower? Unless the old tower is to be handed off to someone else...?

I guess I should qualify that even for the long view, I don't project out further than six months at a time, as hardware tech changes so fast and the prices tend to fluctuate. So what was once out of my league budget-wise can be in play if new generation hardware hits the retail space and thus lowers the previous generation's prices.