Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2013 at 11:32 AM Last edited by justJones : 10th Feb 2014 at 6:45 PM.
Default Life as a Stray
Abandoned by your loving owners or simply born onto the streets, your life as a stray pet will not be easy.

This relatively quick challenge is about surviving as a family of stray pets for three generations.

Goal: To start with a founder pet or pets and have their descendents survive for three generations as strays. The challenge ends when the grandchildren of your original pets reach adulthood.

Starting out:
1. It is highly recommended that you start a new game for this challenge. Set pet lifespan to something you are happy with. Puppy/kitten stage must be at least three days.
2. Create a sim, looks personality aspiration etc can be anything. You will not be controlling this sim for the duration of the challenge.
3. Create your pets. You may begin with two pets (male and female), set them to roommates, of the same species but for a harder challenge you can choose to start with only one (I suggest a female to make bringing in the next generation easier),or two related pets or pets of the same gender. Species must be the same for all pets but can be anything. Appearance, traits and breed can be anything you want. Some traits make the challenge easier or harder some examples are below.
Cat:
Hunter- makes catching prey easier
Aggressive-Makes it harder for your cat to get along with others and have kittens
Clueless-Harder to learn skills. If your cats are predominately hunting for their food this will be a problem.
Dog;
Aggressive-Makes it harder to beg for food and have puppies
Horse:
Aggressive-harder to have foals
4. Move your sims and pet(s) into a house. The house does not have to be anything special, it is merely a place to lock your sim so that they do not interact with your pets. Outside of the house you may only have the following items depending on the species of your pets.
Cat or dog:
1 x Pet toy crate
1 x Pet food bowl (may only be filled up once in the whole challenge)
1 x Pet house (You may also place up to 3 on various community lots if you wish.)
1 x Scratching post (cat)
A pond
Horse:
1 x loose box may be placed on the home lot or a community lot.
A pond only if there is no water source in your neighborhood
Instruct your sim to fill the single food bowl, get them inside and delete all stoves and doors so they cannot leave the house or interact with the animals.
5. Have your pets survive, cats can hunt for food and eat anything they find. Dogs can beg, horses can graze for food. For social they can interact with one another or other sims. Scratch and destruction are easily taken care of by objects in the homes of neighbors, the items you bought in step 4 or on newspapers.

Bringing in the next generation:
In order to complete the challenge you must have at least two litters of offspring. Easy enough when you have two pets of opposite genders but what if you start with a male pet or are in the second generation?
The pets of neighbors, wild horses and strays are your best option for female pets in the second generation.
With male heirs you have a few options.
1. Breed the heirs parents until you have a female heir to make it easier
2. If you become best friends a female pet in town, either a stray or an owned pet they may decide to join your pet in their life as a stray. Using testing cheats to add them to your family.
3. If you make three pet friends outside your household you may direct your sim to adopt a female adult pet of the correct species

If your household gets too full for one reason or another you may have grown up offspring runaway (be given up for adoption by your sim). You can only do this if you have 5 or more pets.

Rules
-Your pets are not allowed to sleep in the house of any sim.
-The food bowl may only be filled up once throughout the whole challenge. If you are playing with points you may fill it again but this will incur a point penalty.
-Dogs and cats may only drink water once a day, pick a time, say once they wake up in the morning and stick to it. Even so they may only drink water if they do not have the "Very Hungry' moodlet. You may only let their hunger bar refill by a quarter when they drink.
-Your pets may not stay in one place for more than 12 hours straight. If they arrive somewhere in the day they must leave before nightfall. If they arrive at night they have to leave before dawn.
-Your sim may not leave the house or be controlled. The only time you may control them is to adopt a necessary pet or to give a pet up for adoption when you have too many
-If your sim becomes an elder you may adopt a child sim who will be aged up to teen immediately and then locked in the house. The teen will be under the same restrictions as the parent.
-Money cheats and building cheats are fine. Buying extra furniture is not.
-Cats may only catch two fish per cat per day. These fish can be caught by any cat.
-The challenge ends when the third generation become adults or when all pets die or are taken away.

Hints
If you're playing with cats that are hunting for their food, try to have them competent in the hunting skill before having kittens

+5 for starting with cats
+10 for starting with dogs
+5 for every puppy/kitten/foal born
+1 for every day you survive
-30 for refilling the food bowl.
-5 for sleeping in a sim's house

Thanks for reading I hope you like it.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 14th Sep 2013 at 2:44 AM
I've done a very similar challenge myself. I made up my own rules/barely used any rules and instead of traditional cat or dog, I downloaded the fox look-a-like mod to use as my fox family. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=460739
The first 3 pics are them lounging around their den during the day, and the last pic is them heading out to prowl around for their dinner.

Here are some of my screenshots [IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Sep 2013 at 8:03 AM
Aw cute
Where did you find that cave kennel or whatever? It is pretty hard to get them to catch enough to be full though.

Test Subject
#4 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 7:11 AM
this challenge is perfect for me! most chalenges i find a little confusing but this one is perfect! the one thing i don't like about it is the traits, so i think i'm going to make them without those traits, but not really cheaty ones. also, i think i'm going to chat in order to get rid of the sim, since their strays and it's pointless. Also, what folder do you put mods in? I tries the costom contenct fold (frst one i think of), then I just realized i could ask. Any help? (i'm terrible at spelling today)
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 9:03 AM
You don't have to use those traits I was just saying that some help and some make stuff harder.

To install mods follow the instructions here: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...3%20CC%20Basics

I have no idea if you can even have a pet only household that's why I assumed the best option was to put a sim in a house where they cannot die and ignore them.

Test Subject
#6 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 6:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
You don't have to use those traits I was just saying that some help and some make stuff harder.

To install mods follow the instructions here: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...3%20CC%20Basics

I have no idea if you can even have a pet only household that's why I assumed the best option was to put a sim in a house where they cannot die and ignore them.

the cheat is moveobjects on then delete the Sim they still show up in the realitionship bar, but their not in the world and thanks for the info!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
Aw cute
Where did you find that cave kennel or whatever? It is pretty hard to get them to catch enough to be full though.

It was quite awhile ago that I did that challenge. If I can remember correctly, I think I might have downloaded a simple box looking type of sleeping house with a flat roof and then just used moveobjects on to place rocks and plants all around it to cover it up.
I also used the no fleas mod, which made it way easier.
Test Subject
#8 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 5:18 PM
So I just started with one dog! So far she's been eating garbage. It'a a lot fun actually lolol
Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Sep 2013 at 12:28 PM
This isn't a bad idea, actually. I've previously only had homeless Sims, but never bothered with pets, for my Sims let alone something like this.
Definitely going to give this a go. IRL I prefer cats, so I'll likely use a cat

Also, it is possible for an all pet household with either NRaas Master Controller and/or Register, I forget. Maybe just MC. Often I re-organise my households and tip out the pets. They're usually in their own "household" on my clipboard and the game doesn't complain. One of them has the option for all teen households and it may come under that. But, it's one of the NRaas mods, or a combination of two, I don't know which ones as I use most of them anyway
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 11th Oct 2013 at 4:34 PM
If you don't put any relationships on pets they automatically turn into littermates, even with other species. So I suggest you make them mates in CAP (Create a pet, not the hat). Plus, you can delete the sim using moveobjects on. It's really weird and nothing happens.
Test Subject
#11 Old 12th Oct 2013 at 7:46 PM
Default Pet torture this is bad
Quote: Originally posted by Ephy
It was quite awhile ago that I did that challenge. If I can remember correctly, I think I might have downloaded a simple box looking type of sleeping house with a flat roof and then just used moveobjects on to place rocks and plants all around it to cover it up.
I also used the no fleas mod, which made it way easier.

Pet torture is bad boo to all who do this...
Test Subject
#12 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 2:16 AM
Awesome! As MystykStar said, I prefer cats too. And Ephy, great idea! I think I might use a dog house, and if that doesn't work, I'll just make a random cave and but rocks and stuff all over it. Great challenge!

CODE LYOKO <3
MUSIC <3
BEST FRIEND <3
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 4:05 PM
I have one question and I don't know if I missed it when you posted the rules but are we allowed to go on the home lot or do we have to stay off of the home lot? Again, sorry if I missed it in the rules........
Field Researcher
#14 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 2:34 PM
I love this challenge! It's so interesting, I did something with generations of pets to go with my legacy but I didn't think of making them strays like this. I will definitely be playing this challenge and posting my pics Good luck to everyone else too!

"900 years of time and space, and I have never met someone who wasn't important."
Test Subject
#15 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 6:04 PM
Cool challenge. Makes me feel sad every time I see a stray animal ;(
Field Researcher
#16 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 6:30 PM
I'm like Black Wolf, but I have some pictures of the challenge that is, if you guys would like to hear their story. My two cats are Wilder (F) and Stripe (M) and they are both Savannas. Also I have a question, if your stray wasn't invited inside of the sim's house could they sleep outside on said lot? Or would they have to find a community lot, since strays often sleep near houses I'm just curious.

"900 years of time and space, and I have never met someone who wasn't important."
Field Researcher
#17 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 2:30 AM
Hey guys, I figured since I never did give you any updates at all, I should, just a tip... I give long updates, I like to tell a good story. Anywho, sorry guys I don't know how to make stuff a spoiler so until I figure it out, you are stuck seeing my story. Tell me what you think! I love to hear what you think about it. If any words are capitalized they have to do with either names, towns, or traits. Well here goes nothing.
Wilder: "Hey, I'm Wilder and this is my mate Stripe. I'm glad you want to hear about what happened to us..." Stripe: "We were raised together in a nice home, and our owners loved us, but they picked us up and put us in our crates, we were used to it, they were what they took us to the park in so we wouldn't scratch up the car, we were a bit Destructive, although we were pretty Friendly." Wilder: "So we didn't think anything of it, but we were able to look out the window and we saw the car pass the park, soon we were out of Appaloosa Plains where we grew up. We took a bit of a nap to calm us down, we must just be going on a trip, I thought. We reached this empty lot near the edge of a town I heard our masters call Starlight Shores, I may be wrong, but that's what I believe I heard." Stripe: "Yeah and next thing we know they carry our crates over to the river that runs around the lot and dump us out of our crates almost right into the water, there were a few cat toys, a scratching post, and a filled food bowl, we figured they were just tired from the ride and this was a treat for being good at home. Soon as we are hunting our little catnip toys and scratching up a storm, we watch them get in the car and drive off, Wilder started to follow but I told her what was going on, she pressed on and ran until she couldn't see where the car went, we ended up spending that first hard night at a small pond, in the rain, and there were fleas... So many fleas... But there was one good thing, I met a unicorn! Wilder doesn't believe me, she says I'm going crazy I'd just say I have an active imagination. Anyway, when we were both awake we went off and did some hunting, once we realized they weren't coming back." Wilder: "We hunted and hunted throughout the town and once we were pretty good at it and had a bit of food stored up we went back to the old lot, we never realized there was a pet house there! We were so happy when we found out there was a bit of shelter there, we were feeling a bit frisky and had always planned on having kittens. I told him I didn't want to bring kittens into this harsh place but he begged me, he was always so Shy, just like me, so when he begged like this I knew it was right. And a few days after that night, I realized it worked, I was going to have my first litter of kittens! I really hoped for only one but a small part of me hoped for a large litter. Those few days were slow and uneventful, I couldn't move very fast with the pregnancy, so Stripe slowed down whenever we moved about, so I wont bore you with the details, we went to the lot we were left at and I had my little kittens, yes there were multiple... There were two, a boy and a girl. The boy was named after one of our favorite places to stay, Buckshot Lake, and the girl was named River, no particular reason, just because that's where she was born, by a river. During their kitten stage it was rough, we had four mouths to feed..." Stripe: "Soon the kittens aged up and they were so cute, they had the SAVANNAH style just like us, and they were quite the HUNTERS like us too. They were inseperable, the best of friends, until we started going to houses to find extra food lying around, that's when River met Nick, a handsome Savannah down the street. She started hanging out with him during the family hunts. Nick turned out to be quite a GENIUS like our whole family. He decided to tag along and run off for the night to join us by the river. They were so cute together, Buckshot was a bit upset. Whenever we would go anywhere and Nick would tag along, Buckshot would just hurry up ahead. One day Nick came up to me and asked if he could stay with us permanently, he said he would help hunt and find us shelter during the cold time, of course I said yes." Buckshot: "I was SO upset when Nick came along like that, he made River completely forget about me... I miss the old days when she would only play with me, I constantly feel like I'm just tagging along..." River: "I know Buckshot is a bit upset over Nick, but I hope he can forgive me, I should tag along with him more often, but of course, Nick wouldn't feel welcome. I was so happy when he joined us though, he was my second beset friend, next to Buckshot of course." Nick: "I am so happy I'm able to be with River all the time now... When I met her I thought instantly she was the one. I'm hoping we could have kittens one day, but I wouldn't like to rush into anything." Stripe: "Then soon after that the leaves were falling and the frost was coming, winter was approaching. We stocked up on food as it will be harder to find any during the cold hard winter... and may or may not have swiped some food from the plates of eating sims"
Well that's it for my update! Next time, we will find out how well these cats survive the cold, hard, winter! Hope you enjoyed, see ya next time!
Test Subject
#18 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 1:44 AM
[QUOTE=Ephy]I've done a very similar challenge myself. I made up my own rules/barely used any rules and instead of traditional cat or dog, I downloaded the fox look-a-like mod to use as my fox family. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=460739
The first 3 pics are them lounging around their den during the day, and the last pic is them heading out to prowl around for their dinner.

How awesome!
Ive done the same thing, with the foxes. And Ive hidden a little den for them, and even discuised there scratching post as a hedge! Nothing much has happened yet, but im super excited. Ive tested this challenge out with a bit of cheating but now Ive got my real, official challenge foxes ready to fill the neighborhood with pups of their own. ^.^
Test Subject
#19 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 3:48 AM
Default Keeping Pets Fed.
It is very simple to keep your pets well fed in this challenge, it just takes some steps and my minor twist.

Instead of only letting them drink water until hunger is a quarter full, and do it at the same time every time, I let them drink water every other day any choice of time and drink until hunger is full. This way they can have hunting days without needing to stop and eat every few hours. I, personally, used this challenge with cats, meaning most of my meals were hunted or fished. What I do is I get them on a schedule where they sleep in shifts. ( If they need social I wake them up early enough to see each other, and bond. ). One of my animals, with the morning shift, is the one that fishes, usually sixteen tries. He will end up with around four fish. When the female wakes up, she stalks prey, ending up with 1-6 animals if shes lucky, trying about the same amount. Then, I pick one of the cats, and line all of their food on the floor, emptying their inventory. I then put all of the meals in the other cats inventory. I call the cat with all the food my storage. Whenever either of them captures something rare or unique, I present it to the opposite one to boost their relationships. But in the end it is always placed back into my storage cat or eaten. I do this so I automatically know where all the food is and I can simply drag it out in front of my hungry felines. Its a really good way to keep track of your meals, and also save it up. I only look at their moodlets, so once they have no hunger moodlet, I feed them one more thing and leave it at that. They are good for a good few hours, leaving more time for hunting, bonding, or sleeping. Once both of their hunting skills are maxed, I will start with the kittens, and by then they will most likely have enough food to keep everyone fed for a few days.

Oh, and I've been having problems with the animals automatically running home and what to do with the human sims. I delete the human sims with Moveobjects on, going in buy mode, clicking them like a piece of furniture and deleting them. The social workers wont get your animals and youll end up with an animal only lot! With the animals automatically running home, I actually make my pets a little base at the house, and without humans they will have the whole lot to themselves. I can decorate a dog house like a cave, disguise my scratching post as a hedge, and if your a dog, get your destruction up by chewing on the newspapers that still come every day. (If you want to get rid of the newspapers without going into buy mode, just drag the news into the garbage can you still own.) So, there you have it. Stray animal heaven!
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 2:21 AM
Wow I assumed people had forgotten about this challenge lol. So I'm quite surprised to see people are still playing it. Glad to see so many new people playing this challenge.

Quote: Originally posted by Simlover7114
I'm like Black Wolf, but I have some pictures of the challenge that is, if you guys would like to hear their story. My two cats are Wilder (F) and Stripe (M) and they are both Savannas. Also I have a question, if your stray wasn't invited inside of the sim's house could they sleep outside on said lot? Or would they have to find a community lot, since strays often sleep near houses I'm just curious.

They can sleep on any lot provided they keep moving and don't sleep inside any house.

@Simlover7114 I love your update!

@sngbbd8 I'm loving your take on the challenge.

As for keeping the pets fed I did find this: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=526095 that seems to fill pets up more making hunting easier.

Test Subject
#21 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 11:03 PM
Thanks! That's super helpful, now I wont need to worry too much about keeping my kittens from starving!
Test Subject
#22 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by abbylanesraremovies
Pet torture is bad boo to all who do this...

Dude, it si a game. And not torture. It is a challenge to help them SURVIVE. How the heck is that torture!?
Test Subject
#23 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 7:06 AM
Here's an idea for our sim.

1. If you have Supernatural, make your sim a vampire.
2. Then, get Master Controller.
3. Click your sim > Master Controller > Intermediate > Lifetime happiness > [Insert number here]
4. Buy the "Immortal" lifetime reward. You don't die of old age.

Hope I helped. ^^
Page 1 of 2