Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Retired
retired moderator
#26 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 10:13 AM
Nah, I think they're going at it like bunnies, but are just quite private guys. And I can respect that.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 12:37 PM
I agree.

If muppets don't have sexuality, why was Miss Piggy always trying to molest Kermit?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#28 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 5:56 PM
here is a quote from the creator who started the petition:

Quote:
“In this horrific age of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) kids taking their own lives, they need to know that they are beautiful and their lives are worth living,” wrote the person who started the petition, Lair Scott of Oak Park, Illinois.
“We are not asking that Sesame Street do anything crude or disrespectful, only that they allow Bert and Ernie to marry, or even add a transgender character to the show. It can be done in a tasteful way.”

The marriage idea could have work but how the f**k can you have a transgendered muppet??
Theorist
#29 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 9:04 PM
Seriously? What do preschoolers know about sexuality? Maybe I was a tad slow but I thought that girls had a penis until I was like 8 years old and I didn't find out what gay meant until much later. When was the last time that a preschooler committed suicide for being LGBT? I think that SS should stick with topics appropriate/important to their target audience. Kids don't think Bert and Ernie are gay (neither do I...) it's adults trying to force their views on a simple kids show. Also, it would just be strange to have the muppets get married. I don't care if they're straight or gay but all of them have the personality and intellect of a preschooler. It would really twist people's view on the show since B&E have been around for 40 years, sort of like when they ditched the cookie monster to make him the veggie monster.

Hi I'm Paul!
Instructor
#30 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 10:05 PM
what children know depends on the child. I knew about sex in 2nd grade.

It isn't unknown for Sesame street to deal with issues that promote tolerance or help prevent stigma. There was a muppet who was HIV + and in different countries they do things differently on sesame street such as having a jewish muppet and arab muppet be friends and try to promote school for girls in countries with poor school attendence.
Instructor
#31 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
We're talking about two grown men who walk about with hands shoved up their u-no-wuts. Also, I think they're interracial.

I franky don't think we should give people like that anything. Why make special rules for them?

with all due respect, ..|..
Theorist
#32 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsLover50
what children know depends on the child. I knew about sex in 2nd grade.

It isn't unknown for Sesame street to deal with issues that promote tolerance or help prevent stigma. There was a muppet who was HIV + and in different countries they do things differently on sesame street such as having a jewish muppet and arab muppet be friends and try to promote school for girls in countries with poor school attendence.

I agree that kids know things at different ages but no kid knows their sexual orientation at ages 3-6 when they'll be watching SS.

Hi I'm Paul!
Instructor
#33 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
I agree that kids know things at different ages but no kid knows their sexual orientation at ages 3-6 when they'll be watching SS.

Some children do know. They have lesbian/gay parents or uncle/aunts.
Theorist
#34 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsLover50
Some children do know. They have lesbian/gay parents or uncle/aunts.

Having gay/straight family doesn't make you that way. I'm sure that some kids might discover their sexuality at a very young age but most people don't or they don't understand it. Anyway my point is that preschoolers aren't committing suicide because of being LGBT.

Hi I'm Paul!
Instructor
#35 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
Having gay/straight family doesn't make you that way.

um...I never said it did. I believe it is genetic. At any rate, my point was some children may have lesbian or gay parents so having two characters who were samesex parents would be something they could relate to.
Scholar
#36 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 1:11 AM
Children are more sexual than we like to think. Not all children are, but many children have some idea of/inclination toward things they find arousing. Most children aren't fully aware of what those feelings mean, but some are ahead of the game. Besides, why hide a part of society from children? Children get plenty of exposure to the concept of heterosexual romance, but homosexual couples exist, as well. Why not simply present homosexuality in a matter-of-fact manner? It's not even necessary to draw attention to it. Just present it as something that exists. It's not going to turn any kids gay that wouldn't have been already and it'll probably lessen the social stigma and make society more humane towards one of its harmless minorities.
Retired
retired moderator
#37 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 5:34 AM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 13th Aug 2011 at 9:07 AM.
I've known about sex - how it was done, and that it made babies, and that adults "who love each other very much" *snort* do it for fun - since I as long as I can remember, and I think that's healthy. What I didn't know until far, far, far, far, far too late was that gay people were also allowed to exist. And everyone all around indicated that it was unfortunate, funny, or BAD that they existed.

I had a gay uncle, and everyone thought it was too taboo to merely EXPLAIN THAT ME just because I was a child. I think some gay characters in positive roles would be a damned good thing for children's TV. Because some kids just aren't going to hear that they're not abnormal from any other venue in their lives, even with a relatively tolerant, loving family.

Robodl95 There's a HUGE and important difference between knowing one's own sexual orientation and knowing about the existence of sexual orientation.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON

Page 2 of 2