Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2015 at 4:49 PM Last edited by Aaron4Ever : 8th May 2015 at 6:50 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
NRASS - Should the opened file be gibberish?
Before I start, do I even need to open the Master Controller file?

I was reading the instructions of installing, and it told me to unzip the file. I opened it with notepad, and I saw a wall of sometimes-readable gibberish. I am using Windows 8.1 and I'm on a Samsung laptop, and I need to use the wardrobe thinger. Should the opened file be a wall of gibberish, or should I not be concerned?
BTW: All files I have now open with notepad. I tested one, and the gibberish was at the bottom. There was readable script in it, but I'm concerned I may corrupt my Sims 3 game.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th May 2015 at 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aaron4Ever
Before I start, do I even need to open the Master Controller file?

I was reading the instructions of installing, and it told me to unzip the file. I opened it with notepad, and I saw a wall of sometimes-readable gibberish. I am using Windows 8.1 and I'm on a Samsung laptop, and I need to use the wardrobe thinger. Should the opened file be a wall of gibberish, or should I not be concerned?
BTW: All files I have now open with notepad. I tested one, and the gibberish was at the bottom. There was readable script in it, but I'm concerned I may corrupt my Sims 3 game.

Do please tell me (provide a link), where it says you need to open the file. I am one of the Organizers (J4Ks) of the site and if it says somewhere that you need to open the package file, then its completely wrong and I or my colleagues will correct it right away.

But to help you in this case, opening packages requires you to have S3PE installed or anything that reads package files, which basically is a container that holds some of the game readable files and other game code related to the game Sims 3. Notepad how ever is not something you can use to open/read these packages.

The only thing what you needed to open was the zip file, if you stored it on your own HDD then extract it to Documents\Electronics Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages folder, though the browser has the functionality to open the zip file directly and this is what you did. So opening falls directly under that.
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th May 2015 at 5:22 PM
The mod seems to work right now, it has showed up in the pie menu, so I hope it works. S3PE, I will install shortly, but I had a quick read of what I could read, and found it interesting.
The thing is in the Sims 3/Mods/Packages folder, with all my 69 or something mods.
Here's the thing that confused me.
EDIT: Hang on a second, I don't know where S3PE is.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 8th May 2015 at 5:34 PM
The mod seems to work right now, it has showed up in the pie menu, so I hope it works. S3PE, I will install shortly, but I had a quick read of what I could read, and found it interesting.
The thing is in the Sims 3/Mods/Packages folder, with all my 69 or something mods.
Here's the thing that confused me.
EDIT: Hang on a second, I don't know where S3PE is.
S3PE is for making or tweaking mods (*.packages) and you can get it over here: http://www.simlogical.com/s3pe.htm

It's quite refreshing to see how a mod is build, but does require a bit of knowledge which files in the package you can open and read in a texteditor. Some others you can open with build-in features within the tool S3PE. But might be a little to advanced for you.

Start with Lines that are named under the header "Tag" as _XML or _ITUN, right click on the line and select open with Notepad and there you'll see the readable code.

I'll look into the link you have given, thanks!
Banned
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th May 2015 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stevset
S3PE is for making or tweaking mods (*.packages) and you can get it over here: http://www.simlogical.com/s3pe.htm

It's quite refreshing to see how a mod is build, but does require a bit of knowledge which files in the package you can open and read in a texteditor. Some others you can open with build-in features within the tool S3PE. But might be a little to advanced for you.

Start with Lines that are named under the header "Tag" as _XML or _ITUN, right click on the line and select open with Notepad and there you'll see the readable code.

I'll look into the link you have given, thanks!

Thanks for the response. I don't usually get this much of a quick response.
Says here that I have .net 4.5 installed, and S3PE requires .net 4. Is this a problem?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 8th May 2015 at 6:00 PM
Thanks for the response. I don't usually get this much of a quick response.
Says here that I have .net 4.5 installed, and S3PE requires .net 4. Is this a problem?

I am on Windows 8.1, have .Net 4.5 and it's working ^.^, think its the minimum requirement so nothing to worry about.

I've edited the NRaas wiki page and saw some flaws, which I have corrected for the better (?).... Thanks though for pointing that out
Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th May 2015 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stevset
I am on Windows 8.1, have .Net 4.5 and it's working ^.^, think its the minimum requirement so nothing to worry about.

I've edited the NRaas wiki page and saw some flaws, which I have corrected for the better (?).... Thanks though for pointing that out

Nice.
Thanks for your time. At least I can get to work on downloading stuff that requires S3PE. Would Notepad have affected the files, and can I select those files as S3PE in the Sims 3 folder only?
(This might be my last question)
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 8th May 2015 at 6:28 PM
Nice.
Thanks for your time. At least I can get to work on downloading stuff that requires S3PE. Would Notepad have affected the files, and can I select those files as S3PE in the Sims 3 folder only?
(This might be my last question)

I believe that The Sims 2/3 are the only ones that uses packages format (not sure about 1 and 4 though), so its probably save to associate *.package file to the proggy S3PE.

As long, you haven't edit/change anything in notepad and they retain their *.package extension you are also save to use those existing files.

Happy Simming!
Banned
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th May 2015 at 6:50 PM Last edited by Aaron4Ever : 10th May 2015 at 11:22 AM.
YES! Everything works! Thank you kindly for your time!
EDIT: 1,000TH POST!