Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2015 at 8:55 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Generations, Pets, Seasons
Default S3PE Says it Can't Open Certain .package files?
I'm trying to compress some of my .package files, and it's not working. It's worked before, perfectly, but now it says it can't open a lot of my .package files while compressing them. Please help, my game's getting slow again and I want to uninstall and then reinstall Sims, but I thought before that I should compress all my files (and it's not saying it can't open only some of the files; it does this for almost all of them).
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th May 2015 at 9:33 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th May 2015 at 10:04 PM.
Are you sure it's not the program having trouble reading the files? That filename looks like it's got several characters filenames usually hate, like @ and !

Also make sure it's ts3 package files you're compressing, since TS2 and TS4 also have package format.

And keep a copy of the original files, in case you ever need them uncompressed.

As for uninstalling, it's actually more work than strictly needed. You should be able to move the game files in the Document folder away from it, and the game will regenerate a new game folder when you start up the game again. Not sure if there's anything more you need to do to use this method for TS3 (I think I only did it once), but it works fine for TS2. It will save you a lot of work. Reinstalling is only necessary if the actual game files are borked, the ones in Program Files.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th May 2015 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Are you sure it's not the program having trouble reading the files? That filename looks like it's got several characters filenames usually hate, like @ and !

Also make sure it's ts3 package files you're compressing, since TS2 and TS4 alaso have package format.

As for uninstalling, it's actually more work than strictly needed. You should be able to move the game files in the Document folder away from it, and the game will regenerate a new game folder when you start up the game again. Not sure if there's anything more you need to do to use this method for TS3 (I think I only did it once), but it works fine for TS2. It will save you a lot of work. Reinstalling is only necessary if the actual game files are borked, the ones in Program Files.

I don't think it's because of the filenames. It's doing it with other files that don't have @ or ! in the name.

I'm sure that they're all TS3 .packages files, I always triple check to make sure before downloading anything.

I suppose I could just try uninstalling/reinstalling S3PE. I'm not sure if that'll work, but I might as well try.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 10th May 2015 at 9:43 PM
Pretty sure that one "package" is for Sims 2, which is unreadable with S3PE and shouldn't even be in your Sims 3 game.
Read the tags on this page: http://simsfinds.tumblr.com/page/2 (enlarge your browser scale to 120% or something to be able to read it).

I concur with simmer22 comment.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th May 2015 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22

Also make sure it's ts3 package files you're compressing, since TS2 and TS4 alaso have package format.

Okay, another pop-up came up when I uninstalled/reinstalled saying that the packages were for TS2. I guess that's why it's also messing up my game. I'm sorry, I should have listened to you! I guess the blog I downloaded the thing from forgot to put tags on the post saying whether it was for TS2 or TS3. I just assumed that it was for TS3 because everything else on that blog was. Thank you!