Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#52 Old 26th Mar 2007 at 2:15 AM
This is very useful and interesting, thanks! This may not be the right place to ask this, but I think it is related. If an object already has light files but you do not want it to give off light (the opposite intention of this thread, I guess ), is there any risk in simply deleting them from the package?

I ask because I do not think I have found and changed every light-related BHAV in an object that has many BHAVs. I tried setting Val1 to "0" in both light files found in the package, thinking "0 = no light", but it was only after I deleted the light files that I could get it to stop giving off light. So far, I have not seen any errors (other than an unrelated one that I am trying to fix now ) but I just wanted to get an expert opinion. I know BHAVs can control lights; but, without the light files in the package, could there be any problems I just have not come across yet?

(I am sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this. I just thought it was the best place since this thread deals with how the lights are managed by the game.)

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 17th May 2007 at 6:44 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm making a lamp. I cloned a 1-tile lamp and followed Echo's tutorial to add a second tile. It works fine. The problem is that there seems to be light on 1 tile only (the original one obviously).

I know I can translate the light in the CRES (cTransformNode tab after selecting a line in the CRES Hierarchie) but what I want to do is to duplicate the existing light and move it so that each tile has its own.

I noticed I wasn't able to clone the line in the Hierarchie so I thought I had to clone the whole CRES line (in the Resource list), to make the modification (i.e. change the X value) and to change the Instance number to make it 1 higher. I tested my object and it doesn't work.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I mean, for example, each OBJD needs its own OBJf. Is there something similar for CRES ? Or am I wrong when I clone the CRES ?

Sorry for my English, I hope it's "understandable".

Thanks for the information Numenor, by the way !

Thanks in advance for any help

- Speech is silver but silence is gold -
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#55 Old 17th May 2007 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ben♣
Hello everyone,

I'm making a lamp. I cloned a 1-tile lamp and followed Echo's tutorial to add a second tile. It works fine. The problem is that there seems to be light on 1 tile only (the original one obviously).

I know I can translate the light in the CRES (cTransformNode tab after selecting a line in the CRES Hierarchie) but what I want to do is to duplicate the existing light and move it so that each tile has its own.

I noticed I wasn't able to clone the line in the Hierarchie so I thought I had to clone the whole CRES line (in the Resource list), to make the modification (i.e. change the X value) and to change the Instance number to make it 1 higher. I tested my object and it doesn't work.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I mean, for example, each OBJD needs its own OBJf. Is there something similar for CRES ? Or am I wrong when I clone the CRES ?

Sorry for my English, I hope it's "understandable".

Thanks for the information Numenor, by the way !

Thanks in advance for any help

Actually, the best option is to simulate a double light, while keeping a single light point. In fact, duplicating a light is not easy at all, and the result would be quite disappointing anyway (apart from a brighter light, you wouldn't see any difference...).

You'd better create a doubled light map on the ground (a sort of ground shadow that is usually contained in the lamp meshes) and optionally create/modify a "lightpattern", i.e. a special mesh that simulates the light cone coming from some lamps, usually contained in the wall-mounted lamps and in some floor lamps.

This way, the lamp will look as if it has two lights, but you have spared yourself the troubles of creating an actual second light.
I only suggest to translate the only existing light to the centre of the mesh.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 20th May 2007 at 3:59 PM Last edited by Ben♣ : 20th May 2007 at 4:43 PM. Reason: edited to delete something stupid...
Thank you, now I also think that translating the existing light to the center was the best to do...

I'm making a wall lamp so I have a "lightpattern" subset. It's useful but I want to increase the light of my object (I'm playing with transparency you see). Then I think I'm talking about the "diffusion light". I tried setting the Val1 (= Intensity) to a higher value (5, 12...) but I'm not sure it works.

for now, I've only set the R, G, B to 1,1,1. What should I do ? Lamps are quite tricky huh...

- Speech is silver but silence is gold -
Test Subject
#57 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 1:33 PM
Is this only possible for objects or would you be able to make a sim's eyes glow, like the werewolf for example?
Test Subject
#58 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 1:17 PM Last edited by simsartthat : 18th Oct 2008 at 2:08 PM.
I've read through all the information I can find about light modding, but I notice some scroll-down options in Simpe's TXMT files for lights, and I'd like to understand what they do.

In the Generic Rcol Editor plugin view, in the categorizes properties tab, can someone kindly explain the following:

Default environment map:

*stdMatEnvCubeCoef - by changing the color using the scrolldown color menu, how does this affect the light?

Default textures:

*stdMatDiffCoef - same question
*stdMatEmissiveCoef - same question
*stdMatSpecCoef - same question

I've had some success playing with these settings to produce different colored lights in custom game objects, by changing the color of the parts of lighting packages that have no corresponding texture files. But I would really like to understand the function and effect of all these scroll down options that are included in Simpe.

The most basic thing I'd like to understand is...how do I change just the color of a lightbulb? lol..I had success with some cloned files, but not with others....

Thanks in advance for all help, or a link to something that explains these options in detail!

EDIT: Since I obviously phail at googling the right and proper phrase in order to find something that explains all the Material Definitions, and how the settings can be changed, and what each setting represents, could someone kindly provide a link to same? I really have been googling for hours trying to find this info...thanks all!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 2:14 PM
The TXMT properties you mention are not only related to lights; they apply to all objects, and any kind of material. Modifying them you can't modify the colour of the light: at most, you can modify the appearance of the lamp (glass, metal frame, etc).

- stdMatDiffCoef = the general "diffusion" colour; if the object uses a texture, you should leave it to the default value [0.8,0.8,0.8], but you can modify the values to add a tint to the texture; for example with [1.0,0.7,0.7] you will add some general red all over the texture. Remember that the three values separated by commas are RGB values: the first is for Red, the second for Green, the third for Blue. Each value range from 0 to 1 (decimals are allowed). [1,1,1]=full white, [0,0,0]=black etc.

- stdMatEmissiveCoef = the "Emissive" value of the material; higher values make the material look "lit". Playing with the RGB values you can give a tinted "lit" look to the object, but again this parameter doesn't change in any way the light cast by the object.

- stdMatEnvCubeCoef = the "Environment Cube" = how the material reflects the surrounding environment. Please note that it's a "fake" environment: except from mirrors, objects don't reflect the actual surroundings, but a fake image, referenced in the TXMT itself.

- stdMatSpecCoef = "Specularity" = how the surface is hit by the external light; play with the RGB values to make your object show tinted reflections when hit by the light.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#60 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 2:33 PM
Numenor, thanks so much for the response, that does make a great deal of sense. Since I'm asking in the lighting thread, yes, I was interested in how these files affect lighting, specifically. I did have success changing the actual color of the light with your information in the first post, but I still seem to totally phail at changing the color of the bulb itself in some (and only some) packages where there is no texture image for the lightbulb.

Is it safe to presume I can just add a mipmap with a texture image for a bulb I import into my gmdc? As I said, changing the material definitions work with all the parts of SOME lamps but doesn't seem to work with others.

I'm almost understanding all this...I think, lol

Thanks again Numenor!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 7:57 PM
If the bulb has no texture it's even simpler
The colour of the bulb can be changed within the TXMT, modifying the parameters discussed earlier, and in particular the Diffusion and the Emissive ones.
No need to add a texture or modifying the GMDC.

Inventor
#62 Old 28th Jan 2009 at 9:08 PM
Okay, I've got a problem. I'm trying to make a neutral version of all the good witch furnishings - the lamps and throne. The throne is obviously not a problem for here [and not a problem anyway ] but I'm having a problem with the light. The light itself is a nice golden light, natural/warm, but the glowing ball, 'the bulb' as it were, refuses to change colour. I don't know if its a LGHT property or if its generated like aqaurium fish or the like. If its a LGHT property, what am I missing? If its not, then I guess I'll post it under repair, or try and figure out which tutorial I -will- need. But right now, I'm confused as to what I'm missing.

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#63 Old 29th Jan 2009 at 10:10 PM
I see from the CEP documentation that 3 witch lamp out of 4 had a problem, fixed with a CEP Extra: "Lit/Unlit textures now correctly switch". Do you have the latest CEP installed? If so, please post (here or in the Repair Service) a faulty recolour.

Inventor
#64 Old 29th Jan 2009 at 10:20 PM
I'll get the new CEP. I thinkg its been a bit since I updated it - like a few months. And if it doesn't fix it, then I'll post it.

And thanks!

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Page 3 of 3