Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2008 at 10:55 PM
Modding InfoCenter - Package Resource Graph
This image is a visual representation of the relationships/links among sims 2 resources. It's not meant to show WHY the links are there, or WHAT the links are for; it just gives a brief overview of what connects to what, and HOW the connections are made.

Most of the important notes are on the graph, but to reiterate:

First, this image does NOT show everything: Bhav-2-Bhav connections, and actual OBJD attributes/flags/etc. are not shown. It doesn't show repetetive (several SHPE references in one CRES) or recursive (a main OBJD linking to other OBJDs) links either, for the sake of simplicity. (Every bit helps!)

Also, Sound isn't shown in this version. To be frank, I completely spaced it. Plus I don't know how they work. (yet!)
I'd LIKE to continue with this, and create a graph dealing specifically with the BHAVs/attributes, but I know far too little about BHAVs.

Solid lines represent true links: For example, each SHPE resource contains the name of the TXMT packagess it uses.
Dashed lines represent implicit, or sub-resource links: Example, each SHPE does not link directly to a GMDC, but it does link to groups in the GMDC (by name).
String links specify a line number in a specific STR# file, and take the referenced name from the string file. Example, the OBJD has a field '0x0048 Object model GUID 1' that contains a number. The game uses this number as the line number in STR# 85 (ALWAYS in STR#85), and finds the CRES from the name in the STR.

I also simplified the Animation BHAVs a bit, as they are VERY complicated. If you don't mind a more complex graph in exchange for more breakdown of animation BHAVs, the 2nd attached image shows specifics on the STR# links.
Screenshots

The above post should be ingested with 1/4 Tbsp salt. In the event of an allergic reaction, panic and wait for the reaction to pass.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 3:20 AM
Some of the XML types, such as the Fence XFNC, link to the CRES (in the fences, two or three CRES graphs) only through the STR# 0x85, as they have no OBJD section.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 12:51 AM
Thanks, Wes!

There are, no doubt, a LOT of resource types that aren't on here. (At least 100 are listed in the wiki.) I guess I didn't say it, but I was trying to limit the graph to resources used in standard buyable objects.

One area at a time. ;D

The above post should be ingested with 1/4 Tbsp salt. In the event of an allergic reaction, panic and wait for the reaction to pass.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#4 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 10:14 AM
I just wanted to say thanks for these graphs - it helps understanding HOW things link a lot.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.